overall

RATINGS: 1722   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
This deep amber ale has rich & roasty malt flavors, a big hoppy character, citrus overtones (courtesy of the hops and our special brewers yeast) and modest alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
ElJefe (553) - Rochester, New York, USA - APR 26, 2009
Dark amber colored with a lasting thick tan head that leaves quite a bit of lacing. Aroma is full of fresh, juicy hops, purple grape juice and some pine. Flavor pretty much follows the aroma, lots of citrusy hops, not a whole lot of malt to balance things out. A tad thin and metallic in the finish. I appeciate the attempt at a session ale from Stone, but this is way unbalanced. If I wanted an IPA, I would have bought one. (12 oz. bottle)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
vikingguy (913) - Chaska, Minnesota, USA - FEB 7, 2012
Bronze with foamy head. Aroma is mellow citrusy hops. Taste is a good balance of citrusy-floral hops and caramel malts. Some grapefruit notes. Dry on the palate. Full body for such a low ABV. To me, this is like an IPA-Amber ale hybrid. Easy drinking. Good, but can’t say I love this one. Maybe got a bad bottle because I was expecting more from this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
umich03jm (2706) - Flat Rock, Michigan, USA - AUG 17, 2012
Pours a dark amber color with a perfect 1 cm head that lingers awhile. Really nice looking beer. Aroma is very biscuity and roasty mixed with grass. Taste is not as good as expected. It’s very dry and sucks all the moisture out of my mouth. The hops don’t taste very fresh either, very earth and grassy. There’s a slight burnt biscuit taste too. Very dissappointed. I’ll have to try another of these soon to make sure I didn’t get a bad bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
RuneStumo (2373) - FØRRESFJORDEN, NORWAY - OCT 5, 2012
23.08.2012. 0,33l Bottle. Patricks Pub, Kristiansand. Dark brown colour with off-white head. Aroma of dark malts. Nice bitterness. A little flat, with medium body.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Shooter42 (131) - California, USA - MAY 11, 2013
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2013 Decent brew but not my style as taste is too bitter and mouthfeel is too thin.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
badwhale (394) - Bitterville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2013
Bottle to glass widemouth pint jar. Pours a hazy amber color with a slight yellow head that dissipates quickly. Nice malt flavors, with a touch of citrus. Nice and light.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
ndhowlett (13) - augusta, Georgia, USA - JUN 29, 2008
Too over the top for an amber, by over the top I mean hops. Bitter from the hops. Looks great in the glass, nice aroma, but too overwhelming

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
dlovell2 (1183) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - AUG 27, 2008
Amber color with white head. Pine aroma. Very dry beer. Hops taste of pine but flavor does not linger in after taste. This beer was ok.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
zach8270 (3810) - Henrietta, New York, USA - APR 20, 2009
UPDATED: APR 27, 2009 (bottle - 12 oz) Clear amber pour with a fluffy off-white head. Aroma has a lot of citrus notes at the start and through the middle. Not much else besides juicy citrus notes. Flavor is bitter hops, flowers, and citrus at the beginning that goes all throughout the beer. Finishes bitter and hoppy. Not much malt balance. Mainly hops.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MereLikesBeer (195) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - JUL 8, 2009
I shared a bottle of this with BeerBaron617, we picked it up as part of a pic six. Umm, well, all I can say about it is that as a beer from Stone, I am not all too impressed. I think they do a great job with IPA’s, but as an Amber Ale, I think they tried really hard to be something they weren’t. It looked great, nice amber red color with a white head. Aroma was a bit towards the IPA side, pretty hoppy. I didn’t feel like this had a lot going for it outside of wanting to be an IPA. As a Stone beer, it was ok, but as a beer I would want to buy regularly, not so much.