Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Oaked

(RETIRED)

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.33/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.94   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Stout aged in oak.

TastemasterWNY's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
TastemasterWNY (10) - New York, USA - AUG 9, 2009
I didn’t know espresso had alcohol in it. Honestly, it tastes just like espresso, but with the slightest hint of chocolate. A decent desert beer, but I couldn’t have more than one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
trayns (246) - Beverly Hills, Michigan, USA - APR 26, 2009
On Tap at Ashley’s in Ann Arbor. I gave the unaged bottle version high marks, but this just isn’t enjoyable. Pours a deep brown, almost black color with little to no head. Smell is mostly alcohol, with a soy sauce type of look and aroma. The taste is flat, sweet, and not enjoyable. I was disappointed in this. Much too sweet, not balanced.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
LtDan (1784) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - AUG 17, 2008
All of the nice qualities of 12th Anniversary, but the oak seemed synthetic or chemically. Fun to try on cask! Smelled better than it tasted.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wetherel (1836) - Encinitas, California, USA - AUG 16, 2008
I entered the beers, so feel free to make corrections. On cask at Stone 12th Anniversary Celebration. Specifically this was American Oak. I’m not sure if the barrels were fresh. I think it was aged in barrels and not with oak chips. Very different than the 12th anniversary I had on tap two weeks ago. This is much much better. Thick creamy head cascading into the beer from the long cask pour. Looks almost as if on nitrogen. Smooth mellow flavor and mouthfeel. Chocolate, malty goodness leans just hair to the sweet side. Yum! 4.3-4.4. Hmmm. 4.3 I guess.