overall

RATINGS: 449   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
When our illustrious brewing team spiked a few barrels of the Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine with our Belgian yeast strain last year, we absolutely loved it. So much, in fact, that we knew we needed an excuse to make more. So, in our unending quest to constantly challenge the status quo (even our own), we came up with Odd Beers for Odd Years, a program to release odd beers – e.g. Stone Old Guardian BELGO Barley Wine – in odd years (2011, 2013, 2015…). It was met with a bit of resistance (to say the least) since we weren’t originally offering the traditional Old Guardian alongside it, but we’ve mended our ways and decided to make both. You’re welcome.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
aenima (258) - Askim, SWEDEN - APR 12, 2013
Aroma of raisins and nuts. Taste is similar. Very well balanced. Some belgo yeast in the taste adds complexity.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerSherpa (10) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - FEB 20, 2011
I think that this is the closest thing that I have seen to an authentic Belgian from any American brewer. The reason I say this is because although American breweries seem to get all the flavors right they never seem to achieve the rich body that the old Belgian brewers have perfected. Grab it while you can!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DocLock (7861) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 10, 2011
Bomber from Capone’s after a long hard week, and AWAY we go! Pours turbid ruby primarily with caramel hints and a 1-finger thick rich well-retained head that says, "Don’t fuck with me, asswipe". Smells of floral spices, rock sugary yeasty malt, red vinous fruit. Tastes rich, a bit chewy, very fruity and hoppy, with caramel, heavy florals, yeasty spice, a late dryness, and a big hop element. I will do this horizontally with the regular version at a later date. This one is great, perhaps a bit less malty but more floral than the regular version, but just dripping with flavor and complexity. This one is delicious, and a testament to great brewing techniques melded with brass balls in experimental design.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Braudog (5743) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - SEP 18, 2011
Bottle. Moody, murky and rusty, this is a surly pour, topped with a nice sudsy head. The aroma is simply amazing -- burly and brusque, laden with tones of yeast, bread pudding and caramel. This drinks with paint-peeling strength, rich with warming, sugary alcohol and a bright, golden grape essence. Perfect for this rainy day of football! (#4260, 9/18/2011)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
andyhwcinc (1440) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 22, 2011
Rating of the ’10 version. Enjoyed on tap at Smallbar Division in Chicago, IL while watching the final week of Premier League relegation battles. Appearance very vibrant ruby copper with rich off white head, looks great. Aroma very nice, rich with a fantastic hop/malt mix with a unique yeast backing that is apparent in Stone brews.. Taste is the smoothest barley wine I’ve ever had. Fantastic mouthfeel, rich, has a bitterness attributed to the hops which are of the earthy variety, the smoothness is probably attributed to the yeast or even aging of this brew. I remember drinking the newer old guardian and feeling it was a bit harsh/boozey, but this one is very smooth and probably retains the ABV. One of the best Stone brews I’ve had yet and better than the first OG that I had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Tybalt (206) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JUN 2, 2011
Good ’til the last drop. I had the original Old Guardian about 5 years ago, and I remember it being good (and potent), but I don’t remember it being this lively nor this smooth. Beautiful cloudy, golden pour. Carmel, wood, and spice...grand finish...terrific from lips to esophagus!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
warhawk91 (302) - Newington, Connecticut, USA - MAY 28, 2014
Bomber. Deep orange amber opaque, thin wispy white head. Aroma is big caramel, toffee and dark fruit. Slight Belgian yeast note but in the background, mild booze. Flavor is off the charts, big dark fruit and caramel notes almost a boozy bourbon sweetness. Some sweet citrus and spice, mild hop bitterness. Big tasty malt bomb, wish I could get another.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Goodgrief (1791) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - APR 2, 2011
I was skeptical of the concept and the ratings on here seemed to be in line with my fears. What can I say? This really worked for me. Aroma of funky belgian yeast and a beautiful orangey amber color with solid one finger frothy head. The Belgian yeast adds a lightness and drinkability to the Old Guardian that makes me want glass after glass. It’s strongly yeasty and the yeast gives a tart, trippelesque twist. I really, really liked it. Will grab more before it’s all gone.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
poisoneddwarf (1714) - Rathdrum, Idaho, USA - APR 17, 2011
Bomber into snifter. "2011 Odd Year Release." Comparing this to regular Old Guard. Pours a hazy orange with a medium-small old bone-colored collapsing head; leaves a collar of foam. The original’s head was better. Maybe this snifter wasn’t as "beer clean" as the one I used for the aforementioned beer? Who the fuck knows. I stick my nose in the glass, and wow, the Belgian yeast strain really shows through. Man, that is a great smell. Never thought I’d smell it in a barleywine, though. Smells like old books, pepper (Belgian yeast) with a faint caramel undertone (the average barleywine scent). There’s also some apples and clove in there. Taste is bittersweet and spicy with a tangy finish. There’s something about Belgian yeast that makes almost every beer taste better, in my opinion. Carbonation is medium-high, body is full, mouthfeel is sticky. Overall, I think this is a better beer with the Belgian yeast strain. I applaud Stone for experimenting. Hardly tastes like a barleywine, however.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
brenn79 (1522) - Idaho, USA - APR 17, 2011
22 oz. bottle- 2011 release- rated 2011 regular old guardian just before this, so will compare- Pours cloudy deep orange with a 1 finger head that recedes quickly. Aroma is, holy shit, Belgium, it smells like a Belgian strong ale, very nice and un-barleywineish (if that’s a word, I doubt it.). But the aroma is a good and welcome suprise, I like Belgium aromas more than your normal barleywine, very sweet and floral. The taste is much more hard to pinpoint, aroma was straight up Belgium, the taste is like a barleywine with a Belgian twist, very unique and experimental. It literally tastes like a quality Belgium beer with some more malt and hops added. The palate I can’t find anything wrong with, either one actually. Overall, I think they are both good for different reasons, If you are critical of this, then don’t drink it, they brew both of them, so shut up, or drink up, which ever you prefer. I rated this slightly higher honeltly because I like Belgium beers better than barleywines, it’s that simple, but they are both awesome.