overall

RATINGS: 1803   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 338   ABV: 11.26%
A beautiful bold barley wine. Massive malt and hop notes. Silver Medal winner at the 2000 Great American Beer Festival in the Barley Wine category. Gold Medal winner at the 2002 World Beer Championships in the Barley Wine Category. Look for it in the first quarter of each new year. Can be cellared or enjoyed upon its release.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JAN 13, 2006
So, the question of the evening is this: when you come home from a long day at the office, and you look in the cabinet that holds your precious beer glassware collection, and you notice that 7 of your pint glasses are gone-and you havenít used them-and the only explanation of their untimely disappearance is your brother in law, who you gave a room to when he had nowhere to go, to whom you extended a helping hand both physically and financial, has broken them or stole them, what do you do? Thatís right, America-pour barleywine on the situation. Thanks a whole fucking lot, Phil. Bottle-2005. Pour is kind of hollow-dark honey with a wispy ring of bubbles that cries out to be more than what it is. Nose-husky, cereal, sweet like warm honey, thick. Taste-initial taste takes me back: as a child, my family raised honeybees. We had hundreds of hives, millions of bees. Honey flowed in my house like water, and I ate it everyday. One day, I wondered what would happen if I cooked the honey in a skillet on the stovetop. The honey quickly boiled and became a solid dark glass like substance. I ate a piece to see what it tasted lie. It tasted like this. Very burned. Very bitter back end that is surprisingly unbalanced by the malts. Incredibly unbalanced-this is all bittering hops and burnt malt. It isnít all bad. There are some saving graces-the light dancing sweetness, and the muted aroma hops add to the drink, but they are hidden behind this mountain of burn. Seriously you fuck. I realize that to you they are just drinking glasses, but to me they are a collection. Respect that, you fuck. And find somewhere else to live. This beer, much like my in laws, is a huge let down.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
pjk33 (389) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 9, 2006
22 oz bomber that we shared at the 2005 beer exchange. I loved this beer! I think that I really like barleywines because this thing floored me, even after drinking a few Alesmiths and other beers on this same night. It is a beautiful copper cherry color with a slight head that obviously laces well with all of the malt blasted into this brew. Caramel nose with dried apricot and peach along with an evident alcohol aroma there as well. I loved the balance for such a high ABV brew. Maybe some honey in the nose as well, but the flavor was great with an alcohol burn that was only slight compared to the fruity caramel flavors that blasted through. Stone rocks! Mouthfeel is silky and creamy with a tremendous body that almost glides down the throat. Itís a good thing that I had to share this one or I could have been in trouble.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
jde123 (764) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JAN 9, 2006
Tap, this is quite the biting beer, not quite bitter, but definately on its way. This beer had a nice full roundness to the aftertaste, which helped. Warming, what with the near 12% alcohol content, but not a trace of it in the flavor. It should be noted I had this selection after a sweeter barleywine that I enjoyed much more. This definately holds its own against barleywines of a similar variety.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3693) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JAN 9, 2006
In a barleywine tasting, I was surprised at how mild this seemed--beers both before and after it were much more vivid. Malty, not the hop boom I thought California would give us: caramel, molasses, thick, smooth, low carbonation profile. Interesting and rewarding on its own merits.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
luckygirl (1223) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 8, 2006
Had this at Vail Beer Fest. 2-oz. sample in a snifter. Beer poured a hazy medium honey-brown color without any head. The aroma was moderately hoppy with notes of grapefruit and pine / resin and moderately yeasty with a note of fresh bread. There were also light notes of honey, black tea and pear. Pretty interesting. The flavor was moderately sweet and lightly bitter with a long, lightly sweet heavily bitter finish. The body was medium-to-full the texture was creamy and the carbonation was lively. The alcohol is quite well hidden in both the aroma and palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CMUBEERMAN (421) - - DEC 31, 2005
Not a very big beer for stone. Alcohol is totally hidden. Really nice citrus and malt combo.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
puzzl (3252) - New York, New York, USA - DEC 28, 2005
í04 first tap at Blind Tiger. Poured a deep orange with little head. Aroma is assertive though kind of overwhelmingly soy sauce and steamy rice... not necessarily bad but it dominated and I couldnít find much else. Pretty creamy in the mouth, with some decent hopping and caramel malts.

ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - DEC 20, 2005
2004 bottle. 10.06% alc. in this one. Nice citrus nose. I swear I got a hint of spice. But I donít know if my nose is being honest with me on that one. Only a hint of anything beyond the citrus hops. On the tongue, althought the bitter hops are dominant, I can still get a sense of the "darker" side. Underneath the bitterness (that sticks around for quite a while) there is a hint of caramel. But it pales in comparison to the hops. May need aged a bit more to come to its full potential. Once it warms to the ideal drinking temperature, alcohol starts to become quite evident, and it begins to resemble a sherry on the tongue. Still kind of hot, though, unfortunately.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
porterdude (170) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - DEC 12, 2005
Poured a very ruby color, completely clear, and with a thin head. An aroma of port wine, raisins, and chocolate came from this beer. Initial taste was a bit "hot".... lots of alcohol, but after the shock a warming flavor of port and chcocolate shined through till i finished my glass.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
kms399 (267) - plymouth, Minnesota, USA - DEC 9, 2005
22oz bottle pours a ruby red color thin almost nonexistant head. aroma of port malt barley some darker fruits. taste is very smooth malt hops leaves a dry mouthfeel very good. i wish i had more.