overall

RATINGS: 1809   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 338   ABV: 11.26%
A beautiful bold barley wine. Massive malt and hop notes. Silver Medal winner at the 2000 Great American Beer Festival in the Barley Wine category. Gold Medal winner at the 2002 World Beer Championships in the Barley Wine Category. Look for it in the first quarter of each new year. Can be cellared or enjoyed upon its release.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HopheadHans (804) - Bay Area, California, USA - FEB 24, 2006
tap at Toronado. probably the best BW I tasted there. Pours dark with a amedium head. Aromas of malt and even some cacao or such. Flavor of alcohol and malts but not overtly sweet. The palate was quite refreshing as far as Barleywines go. The finish was sweet and lasting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
marcus (6675) - Sacramento, California, USA - FEB 23, 2006
On tap at Toronado. This dark amber ale poured with a small tan head, eliciting a malty aroma. The flavor was bitter, then sweet and fruity, then a long bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 21, 2006
On tap at Collins Pub REAL Stong Beer Festival. 3 tasters/$6. í04 vintage. Dark orange copper color with huge frothy head. Banana aroma. Toffee/banana taste. Good stuff, but I was expecting more.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
oldstock23 (11) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - FEB 11, 2006
Finally had a chance to open my 22oz í04 bottle. Well worth the wait. This is my favorite barleywine. Small head, light color with a very bitter dominant profile. Very dense - it has an underlying dark cherry undertoe that meets a malty, burnt, cognac edge. Large beer that starts out very smooth and ends not as warming as one might expect. However its perfect in a snifter while watching a fire. Donít forget to match it with a strong blue cheese. Take your time with this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
flemdawg (532) - Naples, Florida, USA - FEB 7, 2006
According to the bottle, this was a limited winter 2005 release, but it must have been the early part of 2005 because I know I got this bottle back in march of í05 from Jsquire. I guess that makes this around a year old then. Reddish body with a light tan head that left just a trace of lacing. The aroma was like a fresh fruit stand. There were cherries, apples, and to my suprise a distinct orange. This must have been a roadside stand because I also got some earthy aromas along with the wooden wicker baskets the fruits were in. The flavors were right in line. The cherries and apples were there, but the oranges must have been bought, because I couldnt find them except for the bitter rinds. There was also a distinct woody taste that gave way to a harsh alcohol that almost ruined the whole thing. I think this could have used another season or two to mellow out a bit, but still pleasant.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
JensenTaster (1719) - DENMARK - FEB 1, 2006
(on bottle 2004 thamx Rasmus) Sligtly hay, dark orange, small beige head. Very mild aromas, surprice for me.Has some canesugar and tads of fat hops. Very sweet, almost cloyingly sweet tastes and and huge alcohol lash to the finish. Somewhat unbalanced, still.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JAN 13, 2006
So, the question of the evening is this: when you come home from a long day at the office, and you look in the cabinet that holds your precious beer glassware collection, and you notice that 7 of your pint glasses are gone-and you havenít used them-and the only explanation of their untimely disappearance is your brother in law, who you gave a room to when he had nowhere to go, to whom you extended a helping hand both physically and financial, has broken them or stole them, what do you do? Thatís right, America-pour barleywine on the situation. Thanks a whole fucking lot, Phil. Bottle-2005. Pour is kind of hollow-dark honey with a wispy ring of bubbles that cries out to be more than what it is. Nose-husky, cereal, sweet like warm honey, thick. Taste-initial taste takes me back: as a child, my family raised honeybees. We had hundreds of hives, millions of bees. Honey flowed in my house like water, and I ate it everyday. One day, I wondered what would happen if I cooked the honey in a skillet on the stovetop. The honey quickly boiled and became a solid dark glass like substance. I ate a piece to see what it tasted lie. It tasted like this. Very burned. Very bitter back end that is surprisingly unbalanced by the malts. Incredibly unbalanced-this is all bittering hops and burnt malt. It isnít all bad. There are some saving graces-the light dancing sweetness, and the muted aroma hops add to the drink, but they are hidden behind this mountain of burn. Seriously you fuck. I realize that to you they are just drinking glasses, but to me they are a collection. Respect that, you fuck. And find somewhere else to live. This beer, much like my in laws, is a huge let down.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
pjk33 (389) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 9, 2006
22 oz bomber that we shared at the 2005 beer exchange. I loved this beer! I think that I really like barleywines because this thing floored me, even after drinking a few Alesmiths and other beers on this same night. It is a beautiful copper cherry color with a slight head that obviously laces well with all of the malt blasted into this brew. Caramel nose with dried apricot and peach along with an evident alcohol aroma there as well. I loved the balance for such a high ABV brew. Maybe some honey in the nose as well, but the flavor was great with an alcohol burn that was only slight compared to the fruity caramel flavors that blasted through. Stone rocks! Mouthfeel is silky and creamy with a tremendous body that almost glides down the throat. Itís a good thing that I had to share this one or I could have been in trouble.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
jde123 (764) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JAN 9, 2006
Tap, this is quite the biting beer, not quite bitter, but definately on its way. This beer had a nice full roundness to the aftertaste, which helped. Warming, what with the near 12% alcohol content, but not a trace of it in the flavor. It should be noted I had this selection after a sweeter barleywine that I enjoyed much more. This definately holds its own against barleywines of a similar variety.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3711) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JAN 9, 2006
In a barleywine tasting, I was surprised at how mild this seemed--beers both before and after it were much more vivid. Malty, not the hop boom I thought California would give us: caramel, molasses, thick, smooth, low carbonation profile. Interesting and rewarding on its own merits.