overall

RATINGS: 1815   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 338   ABV: 11.26%
A beautiful bold barley wine. Massive malt and hop notes. Silver Medal winner at the 2000 Great American Beer Festival in the Barley Wine category. Gold Medal winner at the 2002 World Beer Championships in the Barley Wine Category. Look for it in the first quarter of each new year. Can be cellared or enjoyed upon its release.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
RihardsF (84) - LATVIA - JAN 9, 2015
Aroma is sweet and some dried fruits. Typical barley wine aroma but more intense than normal. Pours dark amber with white foam. First I feel sweetness, but well balanced (I hate sweet beers). Then some alcohol kicks in and super hoppy bitterness. Taste stayz for a long time. Love it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sigh_borg (83) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 21, 2013
UPDATED: APR 30, 2013 Pours orangish-copper with a tiny head. Aroma is smoke, fruit, citrusey hops and honey. (Someone mentioned bacon, which I can smell too, but never wouldíve identified that note if I hadnít read it elsewhere!) Taste is a nice, strong mix of sweet and simultaneous bitterness. Finish remains bitter. Mouthfeel is full and thick. An intense beer. The sweetness functions nicely to balance the bitterness. Iím not too familiar with barley wines so I canít really put this in the context of that particular style. Pretty damn delicious nonetheless. Would love to try this on tap.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jongo (82) - Stockholm, Sweden, SWEDEN - DEC 4, 2010
Bomber. Red-orange with tan foam. Aroma is sweet candy, rubarb, passionfruit and oranges. Taste is full sweetness of citrus, rubarb with slight sour-bitter grape aftertaste. Full body, creamy and sticky, average carbonation, a little alcohol and bitter finish. Overall: Great beer, drinkable and tasty.

beeroverthere (81) - USA - FEB 20, 2012
Old Guardian 2012 Color:Copper red Aroma: Caramel, bread and a hint of citrus hops Body:Toffee and some alcohol sweetness, big hoppy bitterness, hint of bread Finish:Hop bitter and dry, some alcohol Over-all/Mouth-feel:This is a big beer! A little edgy and you. Some ageing would make it smoother.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
dslam (81) - surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 18, 2014
Lovely copper red color with a little white head. Light aroma with a little hops and something sweet that I can not put my finger on. Taking the first sip, starts off very nice and smooth. It coats your entire mouth and feels great. But after a couple seconds I feel an overpowering bitterness take over my mouth, almost forcing me to take another sip. I think I feel the alcohol on this a lot more than regular. Maybe cause I am trying my best to avoid the after taste. I also feel a little burning sensation in my throat. I generally look forward to barley wines but I donít like this one too much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
7ris7an (80) - Olathe, Kansas, USA - MAR 10, 2012
Tulip. Red amber tall head but disappears fast, very clean body. Aroma is not very strong but, resin, alcohol, and woody. Taste of hops up front very malty in the middle, a bit sweet and ends with more bitter hops. Medium body, good carbonation and a good accent of alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PMgep (80) - Lund, SWEDEN - NOV 20, 2008
pretty nice color kind of amber, nice aroma. the flavor is hops and caramel.

MHOSKINS (79) - Cleveland, Tennessee, USA - MAR 5, 2013
Stone is how I came to know and enjoy Barley wine. This will not disappoint. Stone Rocks again with a quality product! MKH---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nmoskop (79) - Arizona, USA - MAR 17, 2005
Limited winter í04 release, 10.06% alc...evidently they vary. This is the second barleywine Iíve tried and they seem to keep getting better. Caramel, citrus, and malt maybe roasted malt flavor with a surprising dry hop finish. Medium white head with a caramel hop aroma. Iíd love to try it on tap some day, maybe my next trip to San Diego. Anywho, great beer...Itís really starting to kick in now so Iíll enjoy whatís left of it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheGreatKen (76) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 30, 2005
This is the strongest beer Iíve ever had. This is like the beer version of the Chantico at Starbucks because you had to sip it for a while. Itís stronger than La Fin du Monde. I had this last night at some place, but I donít know what vintage it is.