overall

RATINGS: 1811   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 338   ABV: 11.26%
A beautiful bold barley wine. Massive malt and hop notes. Silver Medal winner at the 2000 Great American Beer Festival in the Barley Wine category. Gold Medal winner at the 2002 World Beer Championships in the Barley Wine Category. Look for it in the first quarter of each new year. Can be cellared or enjoyed upon its release.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mardermax (71) - santa cruz, California, USA - MAY 7, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2004 22 oz bottle: the aroma really grabs you at first. Smells floraly, hoppy, malty, fruity, and wonderful. The head is small, but itís extremely creamy and swirly. beautiful deep, deep golden color. The alcohol is hidden behind a multi facited of hops, fruits, malts and buttery goodness. I like this brew because itís quite, quite hoppy and malty. I feel similar tastes, aromas, and finishes from both IPAs and american strong ales... quite an experience.

Smacky (71) - San Clemente, California, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Wonderful. Cannot believe this beer is not opaque for all the malt they must use to obtain double-digit alcohol content. Dark orange-brown with a tight head, this brew smells of pine oil, limey esters, slight banana, and malt. Rich, very hoppy with a rather noticable amount of alcohol, this is a strong ale drinkerís barleywine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mrchug645 (71) - alb, New Mexico, USA - APR 3, 2006
very nice barley wine picked it up at ks liquors for 4.22 a bottle very drinkable for being 11.26ABV Hops are very strong tastes like india pale ale with chocolate,caramel and some fruit notes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
altehkiller (71) - , California, USA - APR 7, 2009
Massively malty with a good amounts of hops too. Not the best barley wine, but it is well made. Lots of alcohol and puts you on your ass pretty quick!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Brewchacho4 (71) - Vancouver, WA, Washington, USA - MAR 27, 2011
2011 Vintage out of a 22oz. bomber. Pours a dark amber color with a very thin, quickly dissipating white head. Aroma is very hoppy, with a light fruitiness and a sweet caramel undertone. On the forefront of the palate, there is a sweet malty character with large notes of hoppy bitterness. About midway through, their is a light caramel sweetness. The finish is a very piney hop bitterness. After warming up a bit, the malty characters start to come through more. Mouthfeel is fairly light, but has that smoothness associated with most barleywines. Overall, much more hoppy than I expected, but a smooth drinker nonetheless. Almost too hoppy for me to consider it an amazing barleywine right now. Seriously drinks more like a dark imperial IPA. But I think a few years in the cellar would really round this out into a nice barleywine!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
eachnotesecure (71) - Kentucky, USA - FEB 14, 2012
(2009 Vintage) I think this actually smells better than it tastes, but still tastes quite good. I was pleased overall though I think it could stand another year in the cellar.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
dslam (69) - surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 18, 2014
Lovely copper red color with a little white head. Light aroma with a little hops and something sweet that I can not put my finger on. Taking the first sip, starts off very nice and smooth. It coats your entire mouth and feels great. But after a couple seconds I feel an overpowering bitterness take over my mouth, almost forcing me to take another sip. I think I feel the alcohol on this a lot more than regular. Maybe cause I am trying my best to avoid the after taste. I also feel a little burning sensation in my throat. I generally look forward to barley wines but I donít like this one too much.

NateBarnett (69) - Augusta, Georgia, USA - NOV 24, 2010
Pours a cloudy brown color. Aroma is caramel, raisins, spices. Taste is caramel, alcohol, grapes, nuts, and spice. Though a slight alcohol burn can be felt, it remains very smooth. This being my first barley wine, I was pleasantly surprised.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kev1001 (67) - Montana, USA - FEB 28, 2011
22 oz bomber. Pours deep orange and amber. Very hoppy. Caramel, grapefruit, citrus, pine.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Thoor84 (67) - ICELAND - DEC 24, 2011
Just amazing. Has a bunch of powerful flavors that i am having problem putting a name on. Very sweet but balanced out by a lot of hops. Reminds me a bit of the best imperial ipaís i have had, but with something more.