overall

RATINGS: 1852   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 338   ABV: 11.26%
A beautiful bold barley wine. Massive malt and hop notes. Silver Medal winner at the 2000 Great American Beer Festival in the Barley Wine category. Gold Medal winner at the 2002 World Beer Championships in the Barley Wine Category. Look for it in the first quarter of each new year. Can be cellared or enjoyed upon its release.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - FEB 14, 2004
Well this beer had little head, but such a pretty copper color, strong smell, taste was strong as well. aftertaste left you wanting some more. Really did not remind me of a barleywine..... but worth drinking!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
robzilla (86) - - JUN 19, 2012
Carmel, toasty, molases and licorice on the nose. Pours a reddish hue with a surprisingly small head. Taste is a punch in the face but still pretty balanced, both very malty and hoppy. Body is full. I enjoyed this one more than I expected.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
ludhaber (85) - Massachusetts, USA - APR 19, 2013
Very nice malty initial taste. Good balance initially with hop bitterness. Hop aroma is weak however and beer finish is a little harsh. This beer may actually just need a little age. It is vintage 2013.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
dslam (85) - surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 18, 2014
Lovely copper red color with a little white head. Light aroma with a little hops and something sweet that I can not put my finger on. Taking the first sip, starts off very nice and smooth. It coats your entire mouth and feels great. But after a couple seconds I feel an overpowering bitterness take over my mouth, almost forcing me to take another sip. I think I feel the alcohol on this a lot more than regular. Maybe cause I am trying my best to avoid the after taste. I also feel a little burning sensation in my throat. I generally look forward to barley wines but I don’t like this one too much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
warriorx99 (85) - USA - APR 16, 2006
Bottled. This pours a deep copper color with a small amount of fizzy head. The aroma is sweet with a slight malt/hop mix that smells REALLY good. I only wish the taste matched. This is the same old over-hopped bitter beer from Stone with a sharp alcoholic bite to it. For some reason, it reminds me of sake, only bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bostondoug1981 (85) - fort worth, Alabama, USA - MAR 19, 2010
HUGE in taste a blast of hops and malt this may be true ruination on taste buds as nothing after this will compare very pretty dark redish orange huge malt scent from goblet no head damn one bottle is more than enough i recomend sharing

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
hiphop (84) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 18, 2008
Brassy colour with minimal white head. Aroma hints at banana, caramel/toffee, nuts and hops. Suprisingly syrupy and pushing towards sweet. hop bitterness is present, but not as strong as i’d have first expected... esp. in a beer from Stone. the 11.26% abv is well hidden in this beer with the exception of the syrupiness. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
RihardsF (84) - LATVIA - JAN 9, 2015
Aroma is sweet and some dried fruits. Typical barley wine aroma but more intense than normal. Pours dark amber with white foam. First I feel sweetness, but well balanced (I hate sweet beers). Then some alcohol kicks in and super hoppy bitterness. Taste stayz for a long time. Love it!

MHOSKINS (82) - Cleveland, Tennessee, USA - MAR 5, 2013
Stone is how I came to know and enjoy Barley wine. This will not disappoint. Stone Rocks again with a quality product! MKH---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jongo (82) - Stockholm, Sweden, SWEDEN - DEC 4, 2010
Bomber. Red-orange with tan foam. Aroma is sweet candy, rubarb, passionfruit and oranges. Taste is full sweetness of citrus, rubarb with slight sour-bitter grape aftertaste. Full body, creamy and sticky, average carbonation, a little alcohol and bitter finish. Overall: Great beer, drinkable and tasty.