overall

RATINGS: 1779   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 338   ABV: 11.26%
A beautiful bold barley wine. Massive malt and hop notes. Silver Medal winner at the 2000 Great American Beer Festival in the Barley Wine category. Gold Medal winner at the 2002 World Beer Championships in the Barley Wine Category. Look for it in the first quarter of each new year. Can be cellared or enjoyed upon its release.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JavierAldea (31) - , SPAIN - MAY 14, 2011
Good appearance, Complex aroma of herbal hops, complex, delicious and strong taste with a long hoppy end, One of my favorites..

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LeviathanIPA (30) - chula vista, California, USA - AUG 15, 2007
this barley wine is delicious a deep ruby red color with a decent finger and a half sized head desipates quite fast. not alot of an aroma but gives of a slight malty hoppy one at that, smooth sweet caramel and malt taste with an alcohol warmth as it goes down

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ghett0yeti (29) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - FEB 10, 2005
It seems hard to find a beer that can mix so much sweetness with so much hops but Stone pulls it off nicely. Thank you for another fine concoction.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Alexmestas (29) - - JUN 15, 2012
2012 in 22oz. bottle. Unlike other barley wine style beers, this one seems to have a little less sweetness and a little more hops character. Which I like a lot. The hops are as strong as in any IPA that Stone brewery makes. That last sip just lingers on the tongue forever. Wonderful. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
el_guapo (28) - California, USA - JUN 17, 2013
Really well made bakery wine. 2013 22oz bottle. Quite hoopy compared to other bakery wines I have had, but I am a fan of hops, so we are good there. This one was especially bitter, also. Will buy again, for sure. Yum.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
dslam (28) - surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 18, 2014
Lovely copper red color with a little white head. Light aroma with a little hops and something sweet that I can not put my finger on. Taking the first sip, starts off very nice and smooth. It coats your entire mouth and feels great. But after a couple seconds I feel an overpowering bitterness take over my mouth, almost forcing me to take another sip. I think I feel the alcohol on this a lot more than regular. Maybe cause I am trying my best to avoid the after taste. I also feel a little burning sensation in my throat. I generally look forward to barley wines but I donít like this one too much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
alandudeman (25) - Massachusetts, USA - NOV 10, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 17, 2007 Early 2007 release, 22oz bottle.. Big foamy head. Citrus scent similar to an IPA. Tastes strongly of hops, toasted malts and little bit of dark chocolate. Texture is thick with light carbonation. After taste is caramel followed a few seconds later by bitterness. Alcohol is masked well for 11 %... it leaves a pleasant warming sensation in your chest. Flavor wise, Old Guardian reminds me of a cross between Imperial Russian Stout and an IPA. Another great beer from Stone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
noturdadsbeer (25) - centennial, Colorado, USA - MAR 28, 2011
Poured from 22oz bomber into snifter at Euclid Hall. A: Burnt Amber to Sienna with haziness brown hue. Unfiltered with a very nice thick head. Solid lacing but fades moderately fast. S: Really complex off the bat. Hints of sweetness and sugar mixed with high california piney hops. I would have liked more sweetness off the nose being a barley but this is Stone so understandable that hops are the key ingredient. Thick malt back up the hops. T: Minor sweetness up front but clean. I would have liked more sweetness, not cloying, but just a touch more being a barley. Mid palate is clean and the beer finishes dry. The hops arenít a torpedo on this one, instead they creep into your senses from the back of your palate. Very hoppy but not a hop bomb; this one is a sneeker. M: This is a very heavy beer. They used a lot of malt to really back up the hop profile so it weighs heavy on the palate. Almost a meal in fact. Entire palate is coated cleanly and the hops on the finish completely take over the palate with a bittering affect. D: Overall I think itís a pretty good barley wine. I would have liked a lot more sweetness up front and perhaps even more hop aroma as well as bittering in the beer. It seemed pretty mellow for Stone. I know they didnít dry hop this years batch (2011) but maybe they should have.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bwilley (24) - Fullerton, California, USA - JUL 29, 2009
Early 2009 22oz. bottle. Great golden amber color with light lacing. Sweet nose with a bit of hops. Same goes for the flavor, a nice sweetness balanced by the bitterness of the hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Woodsman52 (23) - , Ohio, USA - JUL 14, 2008
This is one of my favorite beers. Great flavor and palate. the color is typical of a great beer. the head dies down once you let it set for a minute but does not completely disappear. smooth malty finish that has an after note of hops.