RATINGS: 1896   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 338   ABV: 11.26%
A beautiful bold barley wine. Massive malt and hop notes. Silver Medal winner at the 2000 Great American Beer Festival in the Barley Wine category. Gold Medal winner at the 2002 World Beer Championships in the Barley Wine Category. Look for it in the first quarter of each new year. Can be cellared or enjoyed upon its release.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
dslam (98) - surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 18, 2014
Lovely copper red color with a little white head. Light aroma with a little hops and something sweet that I can not put my finger on. Taking the first sip, starts off very nice and smooth. It coats your entire mouth and feels great. But after a couple seconds I feel an overpowering bitterness take over my mouth, almost forcing me to take another sip. I think I feel the alcohol on this a lot more than regular. Maybe cause I am trying my best to avoid the after taste. I also feel a little burning sensation in my throat. I generally look forward to barley wines but I donít like this one too much.

phikus (96) - syracuse, New York, USA - OCT 27, 2014
This is perhaps my favorite barleywine. Every year a characteristic balanced malt hoppiness screams out of the glass. The body and carbonation just perfect. A balanced bittersweet finish leaving you ready for more. It has a citrus pine hoppiness to a biscuit toffe maltiness that doesnít lean to far toward fruitiness. American all the way.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
45thstbrewer (94) - Conowingo, Maryland, USA - FEB 11, 2008
I had Stoneís Old Guardian Limited Early 2008 Release and it was excellent!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
BluePhish (93) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 13, 2010
Pours a dark, hazy amber with a medium off-white head that falls quickly but not completely. Nose is hoppier than I would expect, but in a good way, pine, citrus, and some floral notes over malty toast, hay, hazelnuts, and a somewhat odd sugary aroma, almost like bubblegum. Taste is a nice balance of malt and hops, with the hops finishing strong and long. Very bitter finish, but the malt character on the front end is nice. Still, perhaps a tad bitter for my tastes within the style. Palate is definitely strong alcohol, full bodied. Alcohol is a bit heavy, but Iím sure would mellow with age. Iíd actually much like to age one to see if the hops mellow as well. Overall a bit hot and hoppy for my tastes, but those characteristics could change with age and reveal an excellent brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
sheep (93) - FINLAND - DEC 14, 2012
650ml bottle, 2012 version. Clear, deep mahogany color with a small and shortlived off-white head. Aroma is sweet with notes of ripe fruits, caramel, brown sugar, piney hops, faint alcohol. Taste is big on resinous, piney hops, a little too big - the hops coat a lot of the caramelly malt background. Bitter finish. Palate is sticky and full with medium carbonation. Needs more balance.

aaronh2012 (92) - Maryland, USA - JAN 14, 2010
I like it. Nice barleywine flavor, not too sweet or cloying. Itís slightly bitter, but thatís to be expected from a Stone beverage. Itís a bit pricey on the east coast but I think on the west coast itíd replace Clipper Cityís barleywine as the default.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hopgeek (90) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 7, 2004
Light amber with a very thick off white head. Aroma is very spicy, and loaded with hops. Thick, floral, estery. Flavor is exceptional for this style. Rich and sweet, spicy and strong. Thick and syrupy on the palate. Alcohol finish. This is excellent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beisen (90) - California, USA - FEB 24, 2008
Pours copper/amber and very bubbly with small head. Decent lacing. Flavor is sweet with a little honey or currant. Slightly hoppy, slightly malty. Very smooth, and very strong. Iím finding it hard to type from this beer. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sigh_borg (90) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 21, 2013
UPDATED: APR 30, 2013 Pours orangish-copper with a tiny head. Aroma is smoke, fruit, citrusey hops and honey. (Someone mentioned bacon, which I can smell too, but never wouldíve identified that note if I hadnít read it elsewhere!) Taste is a nice, strong mix of sweet and simultaneous bitterness. Finish remains bitter. Mouthfeel is full and thick. An intense beer. The sweetness functions nicely to balance the bitterness. Iím not too familiar with barley wines so I canít really put this in the context of that particular style. Pretty damn delicious nonetheless. Would love to try this on tap.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Crille (90) - Varberg, SWEDEN - JUN 23, 2013
Dark amber colored beer with large white head. The nose is full of sweet woody aromas, and some dried fruits, peach. Full bodied beer, of course. Creamy texture. Flavors of orange, alcohol, bitter hops and grass. Nice bitter finish.