overall

RATINGS: 1680   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Deep amber in color, Stone Pale Ale is robust and full flavored. A delicate hop aroma is complemented by a rich maltiness.

bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - NOV 13, 2002
This should be better! For as good as Stone is at everything else - here is where it lacks a bit, and I am saddened by it! One nice thing is that it is thick for a pale which is interesting - but the flavor is not as kicking as it should be!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BelgianGirl (89) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - MAR 23, 2004
This beer had a funky smell to it. I could not detect a lot of hoppy aroma. The appearance was great-nice golden color aith creamy white head. The flavor was that of a typical pale ale, good hops and carbonation. Very refreshing on a hot day.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - APR 17, 2004
Perhaps I should have had the Stone IPA after this one but I decided to have this one with the pizza. Pours a very very faintly hazy medium bourbon under a medium size medium short lasting light yellow head. Faint hop aroma and not much else - a touch disappointing for a Stone beer. Flavours of medium aromatic woody hops followed by mildly sweet caramel malt. Aftertaste was medium length medium intensity and crisp. BTW - went extremely well with anchovy pizza.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - OCT 11, 2004
Bottle. This is a very, very malty beer. So many malts that the best one word to describe this is earthy. There is a nice bitter there that borders on too much. I love Stone, but this one just didnít do it for me. Too musty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - SEP 26, 2006
Overated...poured redish amber with a tan head. Had a beautiful glow to it in the light. Aroma was malt and some bread. Flavor was bread and a slight hint of caramel. Medium to light body.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ElJefe (553) - Rochester, New York, USA - APR 24, 2007
Bottle. I went in to this one with high expectations, looking forward to a sessionable APA from Stone, and have to say I was a bit let down. Aroma of peaches and pine. Flavor is somewhat nutty, especially as it warms, with a bit of a pine kick at the end. This one needs a good bit more hop flavor and aroma, IMHO.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
temporrari (387) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - JUL 24, 2007
Really bland beer to be honest. Certainly by Stone standards. By mine as well. My local pale is better than this. Gosh it sounds like I hate this beer. I donít hate it, just not too much to be excited about. Itís a pale. More like an amber tho. Probably a fair amount better on tap, and these bottles are likely not the freshest, so that could be a serious factor.

NachlamSie (2908) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 13, 2007
Bottle split with BossHossBikes. pours a lighter amber hue, though on the darker side of APAís. A little white head forms. Lacing is spotty after a good swirl. The nose is less hoppy than I was expecting. Really, given the Stone philosophy, I was envisioning a straightforward lightly malty brew with some generous citrus leaning bitterness. I get more in the way of apples, wood, and melon in the nose. Flavor has strong suggestions of wood, hints of apples, caramel, and oranges. This is not all that bitter. The profile has some nods to an English Pale imho, but has the foundation of a standard American pale. This one is pretty mellow all around. It is cool that they tried something just a bit different here, but I canít say it was my favorite Stone brew.

kseecs16 (1209) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - NOV 20, 2007
Bottle. Poured copper orange with a big bubbly foamy head. Little lacing. Grassy hop aroma with a defined yeasty malt body. A bit sweet, malts evident with a mild hop finish, fairly plain tasting. A little watery with a nice lingering aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - NOV 27, 2007
Everyone seems to say the same thing about this beer: beautiful, copper color, quite nicely malty and a pleasant, but restrained amount of hops. I cannot disagree. I liked it quite a bit, but I probably wonít opt for this one too often given the other (and I think superior) APAs out there.