RATINGS: 3657   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
redave (165) - squaw valley, California, USA - MAR 23, 2006
Beautiful light golden amber color. [served in my favorite Imperial Nonic) Nice aroma, much like a fistful of hops. Surprisingly balanced between hops and malt. It does NOT overwhelm you with bitterness, might you believe if you consider the name. Very Nice! I have enjoyed EVERY Stone ale I have tried, and this is one of my favorites. Great fullness feeling with every sip. GREAT BEER!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 22, 2006
22oz bottle. Clear, golden and slight orange tint. Fair amount of white head. Full, dry hop nose. Aromatic hop spectrum. Grainy and musty nose. Even slighter malt note than the Stone IPA. Drier hops and more effervescence. And a more pronounced alcohol burn. Sweeter and more cloying. Longer and each sip reminds me how incredibly dry this beer is. And I am saying this in a great way. Each sip is also getting better and better, and drier and more bitter. Alcohol burn increases as temperature reaches equilibrium. An absolute zenith of taste! Fuller and bigger than the Stone IPA, but is it too light for an imperial? I don’t really think so, but further investigation will merit results! I will certainly enjoy the pursuit. Anyway...stupid good!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - MAR 22, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2007 8-2-2007- Get this cask conditioned at the brewery. They add Simcoe and Centennial hops to the original recipe. The stuff drinks like heavy cream. Reminds me of a Hop creamsickle. The color is a fantastic sunny yellow golden. Amazing. This version scores 100+ in my book.******************The original pours tawny w/ a full, lasting semi creamy froth. This one finally reduces to a thick downy canopy. Aroma is a little burnt w/ a decadent malty soup citrus marmalaide. Full nectar w/ ample soft residual effers. The texture is like cream. Nice! The big fat malty backbone easily supports the plethora of strict hop acid. Robo Hop is mean and relentless in this scene and theres plenty of blubber to hack away at. Theres a mild caramel sweetness that is enjoyable as it lingers on the palate. Theres friction in the air and it releases a burnt nuance into the flavor profile. The finish is bittered extensively w/ asprin rind leaving a few layers a skin from my tongue sloughed off. Overall: this really is a very strict hoppy beer and it has the faty malt layer to back it up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 20, 2006
One word: Awesome. With a capital AWESOME. I could sniff this beer for eternity. So full of spicy hops. My only regret is that I brought only one bottle back with me from a recent trip out west. Serious stuff here. Quite possibly only second to Three Floyds Dreadnaught, in my humble opinion. Too good to share, but I did so anyway. I hate to waste a great beer on just myself when it’s more fulfilling to share, contemplate and discuss.

rafalski (6) - annandale, New Jersey, USA - MAR 20, 2006 does not count
tons of hops and nice dry finish. leaves you with some sharpness to the tongue, but nicely balanced and incredibly mouthfull at the same time. one of the best double ipa’s i have ever had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cathschlag (48) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 20, 2006
Sent le houblon Cascades. Couleur d’un beau blond. L’effervescence et le houblon attaquent la langue de façon assez violente. Mince en bouche. Peut-être que l’acool est un peu trop présent. Peu d’amertume en finale. Surprenant.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
frankenkitty (1982) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - MAR 16, 2006
For comparison’s sake, I enjoyed a bomber of Ruination directly after a bomber of Stone IPA. I adjusted my ratings slightly on the former from my prior rating in May ’05.

(Note: Here I am killing myself with big beers while I find my buddy RAYBOY01 bolstering his rating-count with some timid American Wheats. Sheesh. I’m going out to find some Schlitz...)

Poured the same, honey-amber color as <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/stone-india-pale IPA, with a longer lasting head... probably due to its cellar-temp as opposed to refrigeration. Similar, grand, PNW hop aromas with a background that seems less sharp & peppery but rather more dishwatery and acrid than its little brother. Flavor finds what seems to be a reduction of hop intensity that I can only attribute to my tastebuds gaining familiarity with the hop signature. Over the course of the beer, the hops regain their edge and I can once again appreciate hearty IBUs. Thick mouthfeel with a dry note to finish and noticable alcohol peeking through.

When it comes down to it, I’d drink either one in a heartbeat, but it would seem that I prefer the more peppery/less acrid, "standard" IPA.

<font size=-4>Purchased at <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Chicago, IL 60638<font size=-1>

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - MAR 16, 2006
Clear gold/copper. Large, frothy, white head. Aroma of big time resinous hops with some sweet malt support and a touch of sun tan lotion. Same flavor with some citrus added. Huge bitterness. Full, balanced body. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Paskal (146) - La Prairie, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 15, 2006
Bouteille-Couleur ambrée. Forte odeur de houblon et d’acidité (pomme MacIntosh). Malgré son fort goût, elle demuere douce au palais.--Ambered. Strong smel of hops and acid (MacIntosh apple). Despite its strong taste, it stays sweet in mouth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ragesaq (71) - Arizona, USA - MAR 14, 2006
Appearance: Hazy rich amber color with a thick offwhite head and light lacing. Aroma: Hoppy and mildly sweet, like a slight touch of apple. Flavor profile: While it certainly is delightfully bitter, compared to the standard Stone IPA it seems less hoppy. That might be because its not quite as dry although it does have that crisp finish the IPA has. Its a little sweet with some hoppy but mellowed (for Stone) hops. A little smoother and fuller than the standard IP, also a little sweet with some of the malts they put in. Mouthfeel: Easy on the mouth, but not watery. Somewhat smoother than the normal Stone IPA as well as stronger. Overall: A pretty good IPA, but given the talk-up the bottle label I was expecting mroe. I like the regular Stone IPA better, but the Alesmith IPA best of all.