Stone Ruination IPA

Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3712   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kevin62 (267) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 25, 2006
This was my first Stone beer,as it has finally became available in Jersey.The beer itself poured out a reddish-golden with a firm white head.The aromas was mucho hops and a little pine.The taste was not as hoppy but crisp and clean with a smooth finish.Not my favorite style,but a good beer none the less.

bindpmc (88) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 25, 2006
Pours a small, thin white head atop an active light copper bubblefest. The little rising buggers help sustain a film of head on the surface. The bubbling is particularly lively for the SD school of IPAs, but I like it. Very little lacing, hardly worth mentioning. Aroma is hoppy but not super piney or grassy. The hops come through more in the flavoring, and certainly in the bittering. A noticeable tangerine note in the downtake. I like the apricot aftertaste, but it is slightly hampered somewhat by an alcoholic linger that is more pronounced than you would expect for a 7.7 beer. Alcohol -wise I am reminded of a 9 or 10 %. Overall, somewhat a surprise, as Iíd thought for some time that many of the Stone brews are more hype than substance. I donít remember enjoying the Ruination this much the last time I tried it. Time to revisit some of the other Stone brews.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
biggcb (464) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 24, 2006
You must like hops to truly appreciate this brew. Good amber color. Right amount of head.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
HopDevil1979 (117) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - MAR 23, 2006
Maximum points for aroma - this is how all strong IPAs should smell. Intense citrus hops and alchohol snaps. Slightly hazy light amber color, smallish head. Tastes clean and crisp. All hops and few sweets. Refreshing! This evaporates right off the tounge and has a pleasing shortlived aftertaste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
myfriendbubba (40) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - MAR 23, 2006
22oz bottle. Clear, golden and copper tint. decent amount of white head. Full, dry hop aroma. Big alcohol surypy thick malty and way to much going on for me in the hop department. I need to try again to re rate I am sure

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
redave (166) - squaw valley, California, USA - MAR 23, 2006
Beautiful light golden amber color. [served in my favorite Imperial Nonic) Nice aroma, much like a fistful of hops. Surprisingly balanced between hops and malt. It does NOT overwhelm you with bitterness, might you believe if you consider the name. Very Nice! I have enjoyed EVERY Stone ale I have tried, and this is one of my favorites. Great fullness feeling with every sip. GREAT BEER!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 22, 2006
22oz bottle. Clear, golden and slight orange tint. Fair amount of white head. Full, dry hop nose. Aromatic hop spectrum. Grainy and musty nose. Even slighter malt note than the Stone IPA. Drier hops and more effervescence. And a more pronounced alcohol burn. Sweeter and more cloying. Longer and each sip reminds me how incredibly dry this beer is. And I am saying this in a great way. Each sip is also getting better and better, and drier and more bitter. Alcohol burn increases as temperature reaches equilibrium. An absolute zenith of taste! Fuller and bigger than the Stone IPA, but is it too light for an imperial? I donít really think so, but further investigation will merit results! I will certainly enjoy the pursuit. Anyway...stupid good!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - MAR 22, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2007 8-2-2007- Get this cask conditioned at the brewery. They add Simcoe and Centennial hops to the original recipe. The stuff drinks like heavy cream. Reminds me of a Hop creamsickle. The color is a fantastic sunny yellow golden. Amazing. This version scores 100+ in my book.******************The original pours tawny w/ a full, lasting semi creamy froth. This one finally reduces to a thick downy canopy. Aroma is a little burnt w/ a decadent malty soup citrus marmalaide. Full nectar w/ ample soft residual effers. The texture is like cream. Nice! The big fat malty backbone easily supports the plethora of strict hop acid. Robo Hop is mean and relentless in this scene and theres plenty of blubber to hack away at. Theres a mild caramel sweetness that is enjoyable as it lingers on the palate. Theres friction in the air and it releases a burnt nuance into the flavor profile. The finish is bittered extensively w/ asprin rind leaving a few layers a skin from my tongue sloughed off. Overall: this really is a very strict hoppy beer and it has the faty malt layer to back it up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 20, 2006
One word: Awesome. With a capital AWESOME. I could sniff this beer for eternity. So full of spicy hops. My only regret is that I brought only one bottle back with me from a recent trip out west. Serious stuff here. Quite possibly only second to Three Floyds Dreadnaught, in my humble opinion. Too good to share, but I did so anyway. I hate to waste a great beer on just myself when itís more fulfilling to share, contemplate and discuss.

rafalski (6) - annandale, New Jersey, USA - MAR 20, 2006 does not count
tons of hops and nice dry finish. leaves you with some sharpness to the tongue, but nicely balanced and incredibly mouthfull at the same time. one of the best double ipaís i have ever had.