overall

RATINGS: 3618   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
adrian910ss (2412) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 29, 2005
22 oz bomber. Pours a orange caramel color with a medium sized thick white head. Aroma is very piney and hoppy, with traces of citrus and flowers present. Taste is your classic west coast IPA. Very piney and citrusy and it leaves a nice taste in your mouth. Basically a slightly stronger version than Stoneís IPA. Almost identical in taste. Excellent !!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - SEP 28, 2005
Extremely fresh citrusy hop that explodes on the palate. But where is the lush malt? I know this is a double ipa and not a barleywine but I still think there should be ample malt to carry the hops. Ruination is correct in that it numbs the tongue which is only fun for so long. I give it a 4 for the walking in the field freshness of the hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
can8ianben (1392) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 27, 2005
Very nice! Definitely a hop lovers delight. Very bitter, great hoppy flavour, huge aroma of pine, citrus, spice, all things good. The colour is a nice dark amber with a frothy head which nicely lingers on the top of the beer. Well done.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - SEP 25, 2005
Ridiculous. Iím obviously not worthy of this hop monster. I am not a hophead, so how can I give this one high marks? Rating is subjective, and I will not subject my palate to this one again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TerryR (384) - Oswego, Illinois, USA - SEP 20, 2005
22oz. Amber/orange color with a nice white head that slowly fades away. Lots of pine and citrus in the nose. Flavor is more hops with a brief sweet malt interlude followed by a dry hop finish. Great beer, but not quite 3 Floydís Dreadnaught IMO.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lupinered (8) - Oregon, USA - SEP 20, 2005 does not count
I tried this beer at the í05 Oregon Beer festival, and was impressed by its solid aroma and matching finish. While it did not match up to my preferred Imperial IPA of the event, Widmerís superb Halo, it was nevertheless a solid entry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BitchesBrew (715) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - SEP 20, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2006 [bomber, re-rate 2/28/06] Pours a nice, clear amber with a good head and lacing. Full citrus flavors that seem to get more complex as the beer warms. I think this has the perfect balance of bitterness, crazy hops, malts and fruits, yet still remains highly drinkable. This is probably the most well-balanced, easy drinking hop monster I have tried.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hayduke (3583) - Eureka, California, USA - SEP 19, 2005
UPDATED: APR 8, 2007 22 oz bottle. However I would have been happy if this had come in a 55 gal. drum, it was that good. Poured a deep, very clear amber color with nice white head. Hops, hops, hops. I love IPA and this was the best ever. There are a few other flavors hiding under the hops (orange and grapefruit maybe?), but that just adds to the enjoyment. I simply love this. I would rate it 5.0 except I need to leave room for something I have not yet tasted. But this was close to perfect for an IPA fan. Update: This is finally available in the local storres. It is my very favorite fully available beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chriso (7482) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 18, 2005
Bottle at GBBF, August 2005. It is very hoppy, with the usual pine, resin, grapefruit etc that you get from these big US hop monsters. But I actually found it smoother than I anticipated and, although it is fairly bitter, its not overdone or overaggressive. More refined than the brawny bruiser I was expecting. I guess Iím just getting more used to this style of beer. Same happened with lambic. First time I had a proper one it a case of "wow, whatís going on here, not sure I can handle this". Now its more likely that Iíll find them too restrained. Iím not complaining about the Ruination mind you. Its just that its a pleasure to drink rather than the extreme, and hugely challenging, experience that it might once have been.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brad (364) - Berkley, Michigan, USA - SEP 9, 2005
22 o z bottle: Pours a completely tranparent amber/orange body with a large foamy white head that is fully lasting to the last sip. Aromas are dominated by the hops, slightly fruity and slightly spicy. Flavor is surprising at first (like the first sip of a devil dancer) with just massive hop bitterness, bitingly at that, I wish I couldíve seen my face! Flavor mellows, though only slightly, as your palate warms up to the beer, and the sweeter notes, oranges, pinapple present themselves. Definately underbalanced, it is afterall a showcase of hop glory.