overall

RATINGS: 3429   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
radiomgb (2220) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 1, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2007 Beautiful oranger/amber in colour with a light coloured head. Aroma was filled with hops, slightly earthy, lots of citrus (grapefruit, oranges) and lots of citrus in general. Flavour of oranges, grapefruit, quite hoppy, surprisingly smooth and but lacking in balance. Finished with a long lingering bitterness. A hop assult. Thank you very much for this one ClarkVV.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 1, 2004
Majestic golden with light head. Oddly the first thing I thought when I sniffed this earthy brew is that I could blind "nose" test someone with a chardonnay and fool them. Seemed very buttery and mislead me a little about what the taste would be. Then came the assault - as it happens I love a smooth bitter brew so I didn't mind, but it definitely wasn't very balanced. Hops to start and more to finish - but the bitter finish lingered nicely, not unpleasantly. Didn't ruin me but it did make me want more Stone brews. Thanks to radiomgb for bringing this one over to watch the Super Bowl.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
eczematic (1319) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - FEB 1, 2004
i love hops i have to say. yes. but i love hops when they're flowery, spicy, peppery, even citric, but not when they taste solely of pine-o-cleen. anyway. full marks for a bitterness so big it goes in my mouth and exits through my nose like swimming pool water. but loses some marks for the carlsberg elephant-style bad vodka fuselcity finish. lurking under the smokers toothpaste and assorted cleaning products is some surprisingly mellow pale malt, not as much as in dreadnaught though.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
hershiser2 (1208) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 31, 2004
Paid $3.79 for a 1pt 6oz single. Beautiful appearance: light amber, with a HUGE soft, beige head (and this was a very easy pour). Lotsa renention & lacing. Great looking. PERFECT smell. This is THE smell I love in IPAs. Strong & sweet grapefruit... absolutely brilliant! Very nice taste. Really hoppy, with the defined grapefruit there. It'd bit a tad higher than a 4.0 if it wasn't for a slightly soapy aftertaste. Now that's one helluva mouthfeel! I can't even describe it- this is something one must experience for themselves. Very drinkable... a bit too hoppy, which gives a soapy aftertaste, though. That aftertaste lingers a little too long.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JAN 28, 2004
Big thanks too BBB63, -AKA “The Bear” for sending me this brew!

Rating # 365
It’s the Stone IPA on steroids! Pours a beautiful orangey / bronze body with an insanely foamy thick stony white head. The aroma is an intense pinesap and spruce accompanied by a mammoth amount of caramel malts. Flavor is a oversized cluster of molasses, honey, caramel, overly ripe and sweet cantaloupe, actually lots of cantaloupe. Definitely has some grapefruit in the family, as well as some tangerine; Notes of brown sugar and rosemary make themselves known.
My description of this Ampped IPA is; I’m standing in a pine tree sawmill eating a grapefruit with brown sugar sprinkled on top, then I drink a jar of pine sap mixed with molasses.
A pretty good Imperial IPA but I would rather have Dreadnaught!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerSurfer (27) - Powell, Ohio, USA - JAN 26, 2004
Believe it! Pours amber, with a big foamy head that leaves wonderful lacing. Evenly carbonated. You've read it before, and it is true: grapefruit and hop aroma. The taste is sweet, hoppy, malty, and bitter all at once, with a bitter finish that lasts, while your mouth just waters for the next sip! There is an undertone of pine that is really pleasant as well. Watch out- the alcohol is not apparent, but it is in there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
frankR (145) - Davis, California, USA - JAN 24, 2004
Liquid is a amber orange color, unique looking? Yes. Nose stings of piney hops. Medium head, rather low lacing. Flavor is sweet, yet the sweetness is completely anihiated by the hops. Finish is bitter hops which stays in the mouth and on the tongue for minutes, which seem like hours. In other words liquid hops. Palate is little watery and dry. The hops party is presented with a high degree of freshness and quality. However, I'd much rather drink the standard stone IPA. Overall, kind of disappointing. I guess I was expecting something a little more interesting.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
swtchcrook (3) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JAN 19, 2004 does not count
Three Floyds, get off your high horse. This ale is quite possibly my favorite beer ever. beautiful pour, just slightly cloudy,with an AMAZING aroma. The taste truly is ruinous, and oh so bitter. Not being a fan of sweeter PAs, this one just took the almighty Sierra Nevada off of my numbewr 1 spot! Perfect in every way!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 18, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2004 Extreme Beer Fest '04: Redish orange with white head. Aroma is heavy hop. It is a very good hoppy beer. I love the bitterness. However, it's not quite as good as the Dogfish Head IPA series.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - JAN 13, 2004
The color is a light and very clear orange. The head is moderate and white. The smell is strong of (cascade?) hops and slightly sweet, the smell of a malt may be slightly evident over the strong hops aroma.... Oh wow, the flavor is amazing, so bitter that it's sweet... my ears are popping (though that may be an unrelated effect) its hopped very hopped, and the flavor of alcohol very nicely blended. The end is bitter and a bit dry.... oh my god my tounge is numb. reminds me of "superhop" from the GABF.