overall

RATINGS: 3443   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
frankR (145) - Davis, California, USA - JAN 24, 2004
Liquid is a amber orange color, unique looking? Yes. Nose stings of piney hops. Medium head, rather low lacing. Flavor is sweet, yet the sweetness is completely anihiated by the hops. Finish is bitter hops which stays in the mouth and on the tongue for minutes, which seem like hours. In other words liquid hops. Palate is little watery and dry. The hops party is presented with a high degree of freshness and quality. However, I'd much rather drink the standard stone IPA. Overall, kind of disappointing. I guess I was expecting something a little more interesting.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
swtchcrook (3) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JAN 19, 2004 does not count
Three Floyds, get off your high horse. This ale is quite possibly my favorite beer ever. beautiful pour, just slightly cloudy,with an AMAZING aroma. The taste truly is ruinous, and oh so bitter. Not being a fan of sweeter PAs, this one just took the almighty Sierra Nevada off of my numbewr 1 spot! Perfect in every way!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 18, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2004 Extreme Beer Fest '04: Redish orange with white head. Aroma is heavy hop. It is a very good hoppy beer. I love the bitterness. However, it's not quite as good as the Dogfish Head IPA series.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - JAN 13, 2004
The color is a light and very clear orange. The head is moderate and white. The smell is strong of (cascade?) hops and slightly sweet, the smell of a malt may be slightly evident over the strong hops aroma.... Oh wow, the flavor is amazing, so bitter that it's sweet... my ears are popping (though that may be an unrelated effect) its hopped very hopped, and the flavor of alcohol very nicely blended. The end is bitter and a bit dry.... oh my god my tounge is numb. reminds me of "superhop" from the GABF.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JAN 13, 2004
Pretty boring looking beer: tawny orange. Head is pasty and diffuse. Aroma is like fresh hop pellets: I'd guess maybe cascade and chinook but I might be wrong. That's about it. I mean, it smells good, but it pretty much just smells like generic PNW hops. OK, let's see what we've got in the flavor: biting, acidic and astringent flavor getting only a slight nuttiness from the malts. Yes, it is quite bitter. Usually I can be verbose when describing the perceptions of beer that I experience, but there's just not much here. A sensory assault for sure, but very boring in an odd way. I like IIPAs too, but this one just ain't all that great, IMO.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 12, 2004
Orangey amber color with an off-white thin head. Leaves a soapy lacing. No real head retention here. Aroma is warm grapefruit with brown sugar. Small amount of cinnamon (could be the alcohol). Caramel sweetness starts off the flavor along with gently sweet grapefruit. Yeast and alcohol notes as well. Creamy mouthfeel. A wonderfully balanced IIPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 11, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 23, 2004 Moderately citrus hop nose... Lemon + Grapefruit. Body is a really cool gold/amber color and started with an average head. Hops are a bit heavy, but very good. I wouldn't say they are harsh, but they are not flowery, probably piney with some lemon rind. And I taste some honey to, shockingly like Hall's honey lemon cough drops. Bitterness picks up in the finish, and yeast picks up at bottom of bottle. I really liked this, as it has a large body. I'm no hop expert, but I'd say maybe it could use more of a flowery Dreadnaught top of hop addition to add more complexity?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nuffield (3667) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JAN 9, 2004
Thick, golden color, head unsupportable from the thick slightly alcoholic body. Big citrus, grapefruit aroma, and some impressive maltiness identifiable. The first taste, when it was still a bit too cold (I think) was not as overwhelmingly bitter as I expected. You open the bottle and expect with a beer like this that some genie or mystical dragon is going to bite your tongue off. However, that first sip proved interesting, with a bitterness at the middle-back of the tongue. However, subsequent sips as it warmed proved sharp, with bitterness all over the mouth and lingering extremely long. I guess some people must like bitterness the way I like sour (gimme a gueuze!), and this is impressive at one level for the extent to which they gave this beer interesting qualities of flavor and prevented the bitterness from having a metallic quality or other glaring fault as is sometimes found in run-of-the-mill "big IPAs". However, at some level this also seemed to me a bit like the Cave Creek Chili beer--yes, it is possible to brew a beer that tastes like this, but why would you want to? I guess I just don't care that much for bitter hop explosions--bring it down while retaining all its other nice qualities and you would have a spectacular beer. Big thanks to Jazz88 for the bottle.

mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 7, 2004
cloudy amber, off white head. bready malt, perfumy hops, sour plums, citrus and pine aroma. flavour holds big bunches of fruit earth and pine in impressive balance. not as bitter as you'd expect for 100+ ibu. very nice.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - JAN 6, 2004
This has to be one of the best beers that I have drank. I can not say enough about the outstanding taste this gives and a smell you will love!