overall

RATINGS: 3467   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
alebrewer (140) - Mentor, Ohio, USA - MAR 20, 2004
Light amber color with nice rich head. Excellent head retention. Overwhelming hop aroma but flavor isn't as unbalanced as 100 IBU would expect you to believe. I get lots of malt with the huge amount of bitterness and hop flavor. Overall an excellent beer. Better than DFH 90 minute IMO.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kbjames (244) - Utah, USA - MAR 17, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 10, 2004 Wow, this is a knock your socks off imp IPA. Great amazing flavor in the attack with wicked strong bitterness in the end. But after you get over the bitterness and your taste buds adjust, goes dowm amazingly smooth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - MAR 14, 2004
(old review I didn't realize I hadn't transfered) I bought this today. I've been working on a paper for the past several days and it has to be "served" this morning at 10am (law school, forgive me). I think I got about 3 hours of sleep the night before and I haven't been to bed yet. I had to stop by school to pick up some papers for the paper and then I stopped at my favorite store to grab something to eat *and* get something to knock me out when I finally finished with the paper. I figured Ruination IPA would go well because if I didn't finish the paper then it would be Ruination GPA. I'm still wired from the coffee and I'm hoping this will knock me out for a few hours so I can turn in the paper. Poured a cloudy amber, which looked nice. Not a whole lot of head and what there was didn't stick around, not unlike a divorce lawyer at a marriage retreat. But the lace... There's not only lace on the glass, there's a whole blanket of unpopped bubbles on the one side of the glass! First time I've ever seen that. Smells of very floral hops with a hint of caramel. Tastes...damn bitter without being bitter. How the Hell did that happen? I mean, so many hops that my tongue is trying to get away but the beer really isn't bitter...tasting? Maybe it's the sleep deprivation. All I can think of after three days of reading depositions, case law, and Oregon Revised Statutes on Abuse of Process is...ABUSE OF PROCESS!!! Forgive me here, but what the Hell is is Stone trying to do? Either be bitter all around or do *not* be bitter. < resisting the urge to sue someone for something > Mouthfeel takes a dive here but only because my tongue has now officially grown hair, and the roof of my mouth is not happy about it. Officially I'll have to say that the mouthfeel is full and perfectly carbonated, but my oral cavity wants to file a Motion for Summary Judgement on that one. Drinkability is *really* high when you're wanting to get knocked down like a guy walking behind an moving ambulance with a personal injury attorney in hot pursuit. I need sleep...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
kenaibrew (11) - Sterling, Alaska, USA - MAR 12, 2004
Excellent beer with strong citrus and grapefruit characteristics, if you love hops this is the beer for you.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
rathole2331 (2) - Red Bluff, California, USA - MAR 12, 2004 does not count
Overwhelming pungeant citrus aroma, and the palate does not dissapoint from the nose. Powerful hop aroma and flavor with the malt perfectly balancing by dripping like caramel arount the hops. Possibly the worlds most perfect beer, if you love hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maltdog (618) - Colorado, USA - MAR 11, 2004
Light pumpkin-colored, clear enough to read through, and teeming with bubbles. The fleecy head has impressive staying power and leaves the inside of the glass completely painted with lace. Aromas are evenly split between syrupy, candylike malt and sappy green hop. Pineapple, honeydew, licorice, and diesel fuel lurk in the background. Toffeeish malt flavor is almost too sugary; the hops are woody and herbal, not as dominating as I anticipated. Full-bodied, slick and silky, almost buttery. An alcohol punch swathes my brain in fuzzy flannel. Finishes with an overall tingly, but not searing, bitterness, less than I expected from 100+ IBUs. Personally, I find Arrogant Bastard to be more aggressive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
leitrim65 (402) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 7, 2004
I was ready for a major hop fest when opening this one. What I got was lots of hops with a nice balance of malt. This copper colored beer emits an aroma of grapefruit and malt. Smooth and creamy on the palate with beautiful malt flavors that quickly succumb to hops. The strong hop finish lingers long after the final sip.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - FEB 28, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2004 Incredible IPA with tons of hoppy bitter flavor. The color/appearance of this brew is a clear beautiful amber with a nice off-white head. Has a citrusy, pine-y flavor with grapefruit and a TON of hops!!! Sweet taste with great malt backing. Mouthfeel is very full and round. Nice lacing on the glass. Highly recommended!!! Will definitely buy again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - FEB 26, 2004
Heya... as expected super hoppy. Huge hit of lychee, pine and citric bitterness. Rich, warming and a little medicinal. A malt liqour style shot of alcohol right at the end aswell. Nice bitterness. Thanks be to Greg from Stone!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
uvajed (173) - Ravenna, Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2013 As much as I love Stone’s DOuble Bastard Ale and Imperial Stout (and Imperial Stouts in general), this is perhaps my favorite beer ever. (Yes, Guinness is draught is something I can drink 24-7, but this is absolutely fabulous!) The initial sweet, hop aroma does not end in disappointment. Spicy, grapefruit aromas follow. The head this beer pours is prodigious, and the lacing it leaves is phenomenal. The hoppy palate is not quite what the label makes it it out to be, but I find it damn near perfect. This is THE standard IPA that all others should be judged by. Whle certainly not for hop-haters and light beer-lovers, it is an amazing brew. Try this beer!!! I can’t guarantee it will be your favorite ever, but you WILL enjoy it and respect its power.