overall

RATINGS: 3351   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Terminus (3146) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - MAR 3, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2003 Cask-RAF-2/28/03-Ya know, after all the good/bad things i have heard about this brew, i must say it has both good and bad qualities. the main good quality is that it has a very nice hop finish-the bad is that it practically has no malt to speak of and is very aggressive on the palate. Three Floyds Dreadnaught runs laps around this brew, but this is definately a quality brew.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheBeerGod (5045) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - FEB 28, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2003 This was actually tolerable to me considering how hoppy it was and considering that I normally don't prefer hoppy beers. Pours a dark copper with a light brown head. The scent is strong of hops, obviously, but also has a maple syrup and floral aroma. The taste also is hoppy but there is a moderate sweetness that saves it from being bitter just to be bitter. Finishes somewhat smooth but with a hoppy, bitter aftertaste. ***Re-rate - I have had this several times since I originally had this. This just keeps getting better and better. Nose is a rich and hoppy but slightly sweetened joy. The body reveals more of itself each time. Probably my favorite IPA right now!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 17, 2003
Hoppy beer. Strong nose, bitter on the palate. Definitely speaks up when you drink it. Hoppy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
sloth (2399) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - FEB 17, 2003
Beautiful,crystal clear gold color.Fluffy white head with good laceing.Large piney,citrusy nose.Med/full bodied.Fruity hoppy flavors abound.Alc. is well hidden at 8%!.I,ve been sittin on this bomber for a few weeks,its been killin me. Not sure why i did?Must say i was kinda dissapointed.Dont get me wrong,its a great IPA. I was just expecting more,i guess.More color,more bitterness. I was expecting to be bitch slapped with un godly amounts of alphas!Still a damn good brew though!Stone me!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
omhper (18946) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - FEB 17, 2003
Bottled, thanks hopsrus!!
Amber coloured, little head. Huge flowery grapefruit aroma. Completely dominated by hops, despite it's full body. The maltiness however is less soft and attractive than in Three Floyds Dreadnaught. To call the finish "bitter" would be a gross understatement...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - FEB 14, 2003
Good lord, the mouthfeel on this beasty is truly non pareil - I cannot believe how pickly and ALIVE this beer tastes. This one is right there with Pliny the Elder as the most hoppy, spikey IPA I've sampled. No amount of malt is going to balance this puppy out, but since it's all about the hoppy experience, we'll let that pass. Definitely a fine brew.

madsberg (9634) - Søborg, DENMARK - FEB 12, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2003 Bottled: One really wants to sing out loud and praise this magnificent brew. Kind of reminds me of the musical by Woody Allen "It's all about hops...". Is dark golden coloured with a medium lasting head. Hops and earth aromas. As soon as you start drinking, the hoppy bitterness hits you like a horse. The bitterness keeps on evolving on the palate, and leaves you with a pleasant feeling. This might not be the most complex beer I've ever tasted, but for sure I've never tasted anything as hoppy and bitter. Very good. As much as I really like this beer, I cannot rate it as high as the (IMHO) much more complex and harmonious belgian, dutch and british ales. Once again many thanks to herbjones for another top californian beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
document (36) - USA - FEB 8, 2003
I apparently didn't rate this, when I thought I had. No other IPA begins to approach. This is pure hops with the barest possible minimum of malt "balance." Simply outrageous hops, so much that you need to steel yourself before each sip. Do it, because when you do, each sip is bliss. This is the one, real deal, but only when you can be as pure and uncompromising as the beer itself.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Chief (11) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - FEB 7, 2003
Wow!!! How about them hops? Lusciously copper colour. Definitely flavoured. As soon as the bottle was open, it immediately smelled like a fresh hop field -- Yum! Yum! Wonderful head with nice tiny bubbles. Good lacing. It spanked me. I still feel the sting!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2003
Well, I was looking at the back of the bottle on this one and damn if the person who wrote the description wasn't a litle high on this beer. I expected one hell of a s.o.b. with the bitterness. First smell and I swear I was mistaken as I got a pleasantly sweet smell. First taste was a cautious one as I was still waiting for the knockout pucker. Not coming as I taste the pleasant taste of grapefruit. Had no problem drinking this IPA and made my cigar taste even better.