overall

RATINGS: 3423   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Aurelius (4034) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Mellow, but strong, pine-fruit-hop-butterrum aroma. Hazy butterscotch beer, offwhite head and great bottle. Prickly mature hopped flavor, a little sour, but mostly fruit-sweet. Forthright PA, but not too edgy. Pithy mouthfeel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAY 29, 2003
Nice hop aroma. Golden color. Small white head. Decent flavor profile but tasted a little thin. Crisp tasting with little lingering aftertaste. Similar to Bell's Two Hearted Ale.Needs a little more sweetness to balance the hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Panzuriel (1283) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2003
A nice copper amber colored beer with a small nice white head. Light and floral hops aroma is very appealing. Flavor is light floral and finishing bitter. Nice clean bitters with little heavy aftertaste. Very nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - MAY 25, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 26, 2003 Ah yes. What a sweet elixor this is. The fragrance, like a bouquet of all things holy, gingerly tickles the nostrals and wrenches the salivatory glands. Flavor, while too complex to dissect is a rich mosaic of caramel, molasses, honey, tart hoppy spirit and assorted gifts that description seems to detract from. Perfect carbonation, head and balance combine into a symphony of pleasure. Stone has pushed the boundarys of IPA's and found a beautiful way to incorporate strong taste and flavor into this hoppy breed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - MAY 25, 2003
UPDATED: APR 6, 2005 One of my all time favorites. The more I drink it lately, the more I notice how good it is. In my opinion, better in bottles. Gotta try it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Libeerian (209) - Garner, North Carolina, USA - MAY 23, 2003
At 7.7%, this is big beer with even bigger hop presence. Although it's got plenty of hops, Ruination's got enough gravity that it wasn't over the top, even for a non-hophead like myself.

mhanley (3) - USA - MAY 23, 2003 does not count
For the hop junkie, of which I definately qualify. I'm gonna save a bottle of this for my next cold and then nail them rhinovirusses with the biggest dose of natural antiseptic you can buy. I can't help but think what this would do to those two "No more more bitter beer" guys in that Keystone commercial. Probably kill em just opening the bottle. It would be fun to watch though. Damn this is good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - MAY 22, 2003
Bottled: Orange-yellow in color with a medium white head. Maybe a hint of spruce in the nose, but mostly hops. Unbelievable hop bitterness! Not quite half way through I took a break to read the bottle and could feel the bitterness at the back of my tongue for over 5 minutes. Is there such a thing as too many hops? I'm not sure yet, but I'm having fun finding out!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hayden1215 (321) - Ohio, USA - MAY 21, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 21, 2003 Copper in color with a medium sized frothy head. What can I say, this brew is, as advertised, all about the hops. Some malt flavor on the finsh. Awesome.

Silphium (3160) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAY 19, 2003
An IPA, you say? I tried Ruination back-to-back with Stone IPA, and Ruination is more similar to the barleywines I've tasted than it is to the other IPAs I've tasted (which is not a bad thing in my book). Ruination is still dominated by floral hops, but I found it to be richly complex, and caramely, as opposed to bitter. 'Tis interesting to see how different styles are interpreted by different brewers. Both thumbs up; Ruination is one to look for at your favorite ale shop.