overall

RATINGS: 3443   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
VTDeerHunter (51) - Vermont, USA - JUL 2, 2003
Beautiful clear orange with a thick white foam head. Large, hoppy aroma. This is much maltier in both flavor and aroma than regular IPA, as well as hoppier. Medium bodied and almost creamy. Excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 30, 2003
Pours with a clear orange amber body topped by a medium thick off-white head with lots of lace. Wonderfully sweet citrusy (grapefruit) hop aroma. Sweet, piney hop flavor with notes of grapefruit and malty undertones. The finish is bitter from hops and lasting. Medium to full bi\odied and smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
GreatStelle (363) - Chico, California, USA - JUN 25, 2003
Doesn't get much better than this. Extremley hoppy. In fact Don't know if I could stand much more. Damn this is good.

Smacky (71) - San Clemente, California, USA - JUN 23, 2003
A perfect IPA. Beautiful amber color and a nice head. The nose screams citrus, floral, and herbaceous hop character. The perfect blend of hops lends a flavor that is so prominent that it takes a few moments to really appreciate the masterfully crafted beer underneath. A titan of IPAs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
drewcifer85710 (158) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - JUN 23, 2003
Hm. Bitter! Tastes essentially the same to me as the standard Stone IPA. I get the same citrus (grapefruit, mostly) flavors, just more hops. Very very good but I have to rate this below the regular IPA because as far as I can see the extra bitterness only serves to mask some of the very good flavors in these two beers.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - JUN 23, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 10, 2005 Re-Rate 11/10/05:My tastes and palate have changed over the last few years and I decided to give this highly acclaimed beer another try. Now I find it to be a wonderful, hoppy, citrusy experience. I still find it quite bitter but in a good way. 6/23/03: (3.2) Bitter, bitter, bitter! As much as I like Stone’s "other" IPA I have to admit that this one is way over the top for me in regards to bitterness. If typical IPA’s don’t do anything for you anymore then this would be a good ale to try. Did I mention that it’s quite BITTER!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
thedm (4935) - Fort Wayne, USA - JUN 22, 2003
This brew poured a small head of fine to large sized white bubbles and amber orange transparent body. It has a strong hoppy aroma and a strong hoppy flavor to boot. It has an initial hop flavor and a strong hop finish. You can summarize the brew in 1 word! HOPPY. A true hopheads delight.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 11, 2003
(bottle) I wish I couls tell the difference between hops, because as I opened this one, this had a very distinctive nose. Smelled wonderful. Then the taste just seemed fresh and hoppy and wonderful. And the bottle had been in my fridge for probably 2 months. I quite enjoyed it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUN 8, 2003
Its got a pretty clear golden yellow color with a moderate fluffy head. All these ultra hopped Stone beers get me excited at first thinking, 'Oh, nothing but hops' but they are always well balanced, incredibly hoppy but they don't hit me back

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Linc (737) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JUN 6, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 5, 2004 Very bitter and a bit too thin. Nice hop aroma and flavour, buttery malt but excessive bitterness lingers un-balanced by the thin body. Some odd medicinal flavours evident too.