RATINGS: 3667   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 5, 2004
Beautiful, bright orange color...fine, 1/2", bubbly head. Aroma: Big, bad, gorgeous hoppiness, fruit aplenty, some grapefruit, yeah, but peach, orange, tangerine, non-stop, glorious hops...so sweet, so utterly pleasant, abundantly delightful. Bright, luscious, lively...all bow in honor of the almightiness of humulus lupus! Shall we sip? Do we dare? Full force of hops on the palate, a devastating wave of hops across the palate up, over, around, about, and above the senses! Dominant to say the least, absolutely overpowering and spreading nothing but delight to those of us hopheads who revel in the luxury of an immersion of such bitter, tasty delights! Each time you put down the glass, and finish your gulp, the flavor subsides on the palate, resides fully in the senses, and you eye that glass and are eager for more. You donít need it, for the flavor has never left your senses, but it tempts, it teases....like the label says, it ruins you for anything of weaker flavor, and why would you ever want that, anyway? Fantastically delicious, this super-hopped ale, one Iíd return to as often as I could, when fortune provides. This is the IPA that should be the emblem, the acme, the standard any ultra-hoppy IPA should strive for!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
temporrari (389) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 2, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2005 You want hops? Oh you want hops, do you? Well, here you go. Itís good for what it is. There is some malt trying to make an appearance but it has a tough time. Iíve had much better Imperial IPAs. Itís worth trying once if you havenít.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - SEP 1, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2004 This was the first IIPA that I ever tried. WOW!!! *&@# Me!!! Iím not a hophead but this beer grabbed me by the shorts and kicked me across the room. I truly had the feeling that I had grass growing out of my mouth and that my tongue was covered in hop flowers. Hoppy in no way describes this beer. Unfortunately my tastebuds have become accustomed to this beer and others like it and I no longer have the feeling of grass growing out of my mouth when I drink it.... but it still kicks me in the ass every once and a while.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rmalloy (199) - los angeles, California, USA - AUG 28, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2007 One of the best beers in the US. This is perhaps the best IPA I have ever had. The hops donít overpower you. They are balanced and delicious. Just enough malt sweetness to balance, but not cloying like many other IPAs. Hop notes run the gamut, from the bitters to citrus to pine. There is a sort of "white"quality to this beer that I canít quite describe, except to say it smells white--maybe I mean like a white beer in the aroma. The persistent sea-foam head is beautiful and adds to the impression of whiteness. Clean and refreshing. Recommended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BCAR (222) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - AUG 26, 2004
Rich, dark gold color. Nice deep cascade nose. Excellent initial flavor of roasted malts and, of course, a few hops. The alcohol is very prominent, not as well hidden as Dreadnaught or 90 min IPA. Not as complex of a flavor as the previous 2 either. Just a little too bitter of a finish for my palate--overkill. I do appreciate the amount of ingredients and effort this had to take to produce, however.

heemer77 (5210) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - AUG 26, 2004
Pours with a deep and dark orange coloring. The head is rather large for a double IPA. The aroma is floral with some orange peel. It also has a hint of molasses. The taste is relatively subtle for a double IPA. Of course it has the normal orange peel and some burnt toast. It also has notes of yeasty bread. This is a hop lovers dream. The alcohol is very well hidden. A very solid entry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
IndianaRed (3120) - Boise, Idaho, USA - AUG 25, 2004
22oz Bottle Pours a pale light orange, amber with a medium sized head that is very dense and creamy but eventually setled out leaving very thin but even lacing. Aroma is certianly hoppy but also strong grapefruit and other cirtus rinds. Tastes imediately very bitter and robust but full and heavy. My mouth feels like a big Hop bud. I think if I ate a Hersey bar right now, it would taste like Cascade Hops. The feel of this IPA is very nice. Smooth, heavy, just nice. No surprises on the trailer. An IPA with characteristics that put me off, and turn me on. Glad to have tried it. Stone is certianly not shy with their offerings.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
shoeshineboy (81) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - AUG 25, 2004
Well, there is 42 pages of Ratings here.... if you want to know what it looks like, smells like, or tastes like, read below. Just let me assure you that it is quite the TASTY BREW!!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JackLanders (55) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - AUG 24, 2004
This beer does not live up to itís own hype. Itís good, but not *that* good. Totally lacking in real character aside from a whole bunch of cascade hops. Whoop de doo - like there arenít 500 other IPAs out there with a ton of cascades in them. Dogfishhead has 3 or 4 beers that hop that pants off of this dull-edged ale. And somehow, this beer just wasnít bitter enough. Iíve heard that the human tongue can only taste up to 70 or so IBUs and this beer is allegedly over 100. But still it is just not quite hoppy enough. It also lacks the powerful yet refined malt presence of beers like Speakeasyís amber or Rogueís Dead Guy Ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
natep715 (1) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 22, 2004 does not count
Really disappointed with this beer, after loving the Arrogant and Double Arrogant. I love hops, but that was all I tasted in this beer. I donít get why people in bars keep recommending this to me...do they work for Stone?