overall

RATINGS: 3419   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - MAR 11, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2006 re-rate: Crystal clear dark yellow/light copper color with big off white head. Aroma has a significant amount of resiny, floral hops, subtle whiff of caramel and oranges, touch of vanilla. Flavor has some lightly kilned malt flavor, fairly significant herbal hops, with a touch of caramel. Finish is very bitter, as expected, and dry, though not quite as dry as I might have expected. A good niche brew, isn’t made to appeal to the masses, certaintly can’t be described as balanced. More bitter than I like my IPA’s, but a nice way to destroy the beer geek palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
jgb9348 (4626) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - MAR 11, 2003
Nice colour, with a noticable orange tint. Hoppy aroma, big time! Very powerful beer, full of hops and malt. Pretty hoppy beer, but for hop-heads who don't like Imperial IPAs, it really isn't the best beer. I still prefer Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale to this, anyday! Someday maybe i'll find Stone's original IPA and taste that, but until then....Tupper's still is king.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Verne (261) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - MAR 8, 2003
UPDATED: APR 19, 2003 Clear medium amber in color with a thick long lasting head. The aroma is of intensely sweet and flowery hops and lots of them. The first drink all you can taste is bitter hops but after a few more the silly beer has malt in it and is just a bit fruity. This is the best completely out of whack beer I have ever had but lets face the truth, it is way out of whack. Hop lover’s delight but still can be drank by those of us who like other flavors as well

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - MAR 7, 2003
Supper hoppy-fresh aroma. Call me a hop maniac, but this brew has just the right amoung of bitter to malt for me. I definitely look forward to trying some more!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - MAR 7, 2003
Strong hop aroma with fruit undertones. Large frothy head and aggressive lacing. Flavor is full of hops and very dry initially but ends in a sweet fruity finish. Very easy to drink for so many IBUs. A good beer, but a little over hyped I think, I've had better IPAs.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - MAR 4, 2003
Cask RAF '03. Golden with no head. Light, sweet aroma with notes of apricot. Rather sweet, with fruity notes, a slight toffeeish, bready malt flavor, and a good solid dose of citrusy hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bonvivant (168) - Smithfield, Virginia, USA - MAR 4, 2003
Yummm!The nose just hops out at you! Beautiful head and color and a flavor that does not make my teeth itch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - MAR 4, 2003
Rather what I had expected: the biggest hop blast I've ever experienced, with tons of PNW hop flavor and aroma. Bitter as all hell, but unforgetable. I would certainly buy this again, but I would not allow it a claim to elegence. It is what it is. I prefer their standard India Pale Ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Terminus (3214) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - MAR 3, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2003 Cask-RAF-2/28/03-Ya know, after all the good/bad things i have heard about this brew, i must say it has both good and bad qualities. the main good quality is that it has a very nice hop finish-the bad is that it practically has no malt to speak of and is very aggressive on the palate. Three Floyds Dreadnaught runs laps around this brew, but this is definately a quality brew.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheBeerGod (5166) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - FEB 28, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2003 This was actually tolerable to me considering how hoppy it was and considering that I normally don't prefer hoppy beers. Pours a dark copper with a light brown head. The scent is strong of hops, obviously, but also has a maple syrup and floral aroma. The taste also is hoppy but there is a moderate sweetness that saves it from being bitter just to be bitter. Finishes somewhat smooth but with a hoppy, bitter aftertaste. ***Re-rate - I have had this several times since I originally had this. This just keeps getting better and better. Nose is a rich and hoppy but slightly sweetened joy. The body reveals more of itself each time. Probably my favorite IPA right now!