overall

RATINGS: 3468   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Libeerian (209) - Garner, North Carolina, USA - MAY 23, 2003
At 7.7%, this is big beer with even bigger hop presence. Although it's got plenty of hops, Ruination's got enough gravity that it wasn't over the top, even for a non-hophead like myself.

mhanley (3) - USA - MAY 23, 2003 does not count
For the hop junkie, of which I definately qualify. I'm gonna save a bottle of this for my next cold and then nail them rhinovirusses with the biggest dose of natural antiseptic you can buy. I can't help but think what this would do to those two "No more more bitter beer" guys in that Keystone commercial. Probably kill em just opening the bottle. It would be fun to watch though. Damn this is good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - MAY 22, 2003
Bottled: Orange-yellow in color with a medium white head. Maybe a hint of spruce in the nose, but mostly hops. Unbelievable hop bitterness! Not quite half way through I took a break to read the bottle and could feel the bitterness at the back of my tongue for over 5 minutes. Is there such a thing as too many hops? I'm not sure yet, but I'm having fun finding out!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hayden1215 (321) - Ohio, USA - MAY 21, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 21, 2003 Copper in color with a medium sized frothy head. What can I say, this brew is, as advertised, all about the hops. Some malt flavor on the finsh. Awesome.

Silphium (3173) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAY 19, 2003
An IPA, you say? I tried Ruination back-to-back with Stone IPA, and Ruination is more similar to the barleywines I've tasted than it is to the other IPAs I've tasted (which is not a bad thing in my book). Ruination is still dominated by floral hops, but I found it to be richly complex, and caramely, as opposed to bitter. 'Tis interesting to see how different styles are interpreted by different brewers. Both thumbs up; Ruination is one to look for at your favorite ale shop.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - MAY 16, 2003
I like this beer and do not think it is as "over the top" as I have read. Color is light for the style and the aroma is sweet with little hoppiness. I am not scared as suggested by the verbage on the bottle and I expected this to be virtually impallatable based upon the review I have read. Good hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. Not as balanced as I would have liked. Needs to be a bit more sweet

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheBelgian (24) - USA - MAY 16, 2003
Wonderful hoppy IPA. Stone knows that people will either love it or hate it, not many will be on the fence. I love it. Great aroma and flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - MAY 5, 2003
im almost afraid to say it... but i feel this Stone brew is a lil over done, the ipa is outstanding... but to have the try and out do it is a little crazy, a good beer by any means but not the best

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - MAY 4, 2003
Now, don't get me wrong, I like hoppy beers, but this was not a well done hoppy beer. It has an average appearance, a thick but not long lasting head, but it is extremely unbalanced in my opinion. It has a sickly-sweet smell to it when opened, it is overloaded with Cascade hops, mainly due to dry hopping. The malt flavor is simply overwhelmed by the over-use of so many hops. Stone brewing has great beers as a rule, and I like their Arrogant Bastard, and their Double Bastard, but this one was just too much for me. I couldn't even finish the 22 oz. bottle I got, so that should tell you something.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - APR 29, 2003
Distinguishes itself from other IPAs by NOT having a strong grapefruit flavor. Extremely crisp, no unwelcome tang. Soft citrus nose, w/caramel undertones. Mellows and softens as one's tongue begins to surrender.