overall

RATINGS: 3569   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JAN 13, 2004
Pretty boring looking beer: tawny orange. Head is pasty and diffuse. Aroma is like fresh hop pellets: I'd guess maybe cascade and chinook but I might be wrong. That's about it. I mean, it smells good, but it pretty much just smells like generic PNW hops. OK, let's see what we've got in the flavor: biting, acidic and astringent flavor getting only a slight nuttiness from the malts. Yes, it is quite bitter. Usually I can be verbose when describing the perceptions of beer that I experience, but there's just not much here. A sensory assault for sure, but very boring in an odd way. I like IIPAs too, but this one just ain't all that great, IMO.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 12, 2004
Orangey amber color with an off-white thin head. Leaves a soapy lacing. No real head retention here. Aroma is warm grapefruit with brown sugar. Small amount of cinnamon (could be the alcohol). Caramel sweetness starts off the flavor along with gently sweet grapefruit. Yeast and alcohol notes as well. Creamy mouthfeel. A wonderfully balanced IIPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 11, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 23, 2004 Moderately citrus hop nose... Lemon + Grapefruit. Body is a really cool gold/amber color and started with an average head. Hops are a bit heavy, but very good. I wouldn't say they are harsh, but they are not flowery, probably piney with some lemon rind. And I taste some honey to, shockingly like Hall's honey lemon cough drops. Bitterness picks up in the finish, and yeast picks up at bottom of bottle. I really liked this, as it has a large body. I'm no hop expert, but I'd say maybe it could use more of a flowery Dreadnaught top of hop addition to add more complexity?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nuffield (3740) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JAN 9, 2004
Thick, golden color, head unsupportable from the thick slightly alcoholic body. Big citrus, grapefruit aroma, and some impressive maltiness identifiable. The first taste, when it was still a bit too cold (I think) was not as overwhelmingly bitter as I expected. You open the bottle and expect with a beer like this that some genie or mystical dragon is going to bite your tongue off. However, that first sip proved interesting, with a bitterness at the middle-back of the tongue. However, subsequent sips as it warmed proved sharp, with bitterness all over the mouth and lingering extremely long. I guess some people must like bitterness the way I like sour (gimme a gueuze!), and this is impressive at one level for the extent to which they gave this beer interesting qualities of flavor and prevented the bitterness from having a metallic quality or other glaring fault as is sometimes found in run-of-the-mill "big IPAs". However, at some level this also seemed to me a bit like the Cave Creek Chili beer--yes, it is possible to brew a beer that tastes like this, but why would you want to? I guess I just don't care that much for bitter hop explosions--bring it down while retaining all its other nice qualities and you would have a spectacular beer. Big thanks to Jazz88 for the bottle.

mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 7, 2004
cloudy amber, off white head. bready malt, perfumy hops, sour plums, citrus and pine aroma. flavour holds big bunches of fruit earth and pine in impressive balance. not as bitter as you'd expect for 100+ ibu. very nice.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - JAN 6, 2004
This has to be one of the best beers that I have drank. I can not say enough about the outstanding taste this gives and a smell you will love!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
YogiBeera (2527) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 6, 2004
Another Hurray to Joe and Shell who were able to convince the beer shop owner to give this nice brew for them out of his hidden private stock! HURRAY!Nose is unbelieveable: like rolled hops petals in your hand - the kind of thing I do while visiting a brewery - makes me totallý high. Orange color, huge foamy head. Hoppy bite, dry, bitter grapelike short finish at end of the tongue. What a nice brew. More enjoyable without an Guitar solo from Keith Richards (sugarlips pivo :-))

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2587) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JAN 5, 2004
Hoppy aroma, grassy, piney and biscuity. French fries?! Clean light malts. Peppery hops in the strongly dry finish. Golden color.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
pivo (2612) - GERMANY - JAN 4, 2004
Bottle: This reminded me of Keith Richards guitar solo on "Sympathy For The Devil" - all treble and no bass. In fact, I recommend listening to that song while you drink this beer. Starts with one of the freshest hop aromas I've ever experienced - clean and bright as if you just rubbed some hop cones in your hand and smelled them. Orange color and foamy head. Light and quick malt body that is rather thin. This beer cuts right to the chase quickly: hops, hops and more hops. Grapefruit finish with a bitter tang at the sides on the mouth. This actually dried the front of my teeth. You almost need a toothpick afterwards to get the hops out of your teeth. Kowtow to the hop! God bless the hop!

cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - JAN 4, 2004
11/22/03. On cask at O'Brien's in San Diego, CA 11/22/03. Pours with a rocky, lasting head with elegant if light lacing. Mostly clear, slightly opaque, darkish golden body. Fruity, sweetly hoppy, bubblegummy aroma. Nice and mellow but substantial. Flavor is bitterly hoppy, grassy, lightly sweet, twiggy, piney, with some malt. Flavors are distinctive and straightforward but complex. Long bitter hop finish and dirty malts. Medium body, smooth mouthfeel and nice turn to the finish. Quite long and drying. Dirtier and nastier than most IPAs, but not full enough for most doubles. If I had to guess after trying, I'd have thought this was a Double IPA (and it is), but I had thought before trying that it was a regular IPA. Really good stuff, whatever you want to call it.