RATINGS: 3656   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - APR 23, 2004
Dark clear gold, fluffy white head. I bow to sir hop-a-lot. Great nose of PNW hops, pine, sweet grapefruit, and all things citric. Flavors are practically mirrored with aroma. The malt however plays up a great backup roll in producing what could almost be called balance. A hopbomb type bitterness that for whatever reason never hits over the top. Medium to full bodied, dry, lengthy bitter finish. Stone NEVER disappoints me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
mortimer (8) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 20, 2004 does not count
It pours a dark yellowish orange color with an off white head, which didn’t last all that long. I could smell plenty of hops, but I also picked up some foresty pine scent as well. In my opinion the malt flavor was overpowered by all of the hops. It smelt and tasted sweet, but it had a strong and unpleasant aftertaste. It was extremely bitter, as expected, but to me, it didn’t seem very balanced. It was over the top hops. It could be that I am just not a huge fan of this style of beer. One thing is for sure, this is one of my least favorite beers that Stone makes.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
DrunkenLooser (22) - Frankfort, Illinois, USA - APR 19, 2004
Definately my favorite from Stone Brewing Co. Big hops taste with a kick. The color is deep and rich. Highly recommended to IPA fans.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - APR 18, 2004
American hops. But the american hops were not overpowering. Really mellow. Clear and golden in color. Pleasant yellow in color. Extremely drinkable. Malty and hoppy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - APR 18, 2004
Damn. I actually thought that this would be hoppier, but... 22 oz bottle from the Beer Yard. Clear and golden with a nice white head. Pleasant big yet mellow hop aroma. The massive hop flavor and bitterness is backed up nicely with a big malt presence. This is an IIPA at its best. But far less hops than I expected from all the hipe! Extremely and dangerously drinkable, and that is an understatement!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Skip (206) - Indiana, USA - APR 15, 2004
Big hops, significant alcohol. Not for the faint of heart nor those with an aversion to hops. Deeper color than Stone IPA. If you are doing a tasting, make this one the last, because after it, you will not be able to taste anything.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Chupa LaHomebrew (12) - Gahanna, Ohio, USA - APR 12, 2004
UPDATED: APR 22, 2004 A surprisingly drinkable evil hop monster. Medium body, dry finish with very spicy hop notes. The bubbles combined with the hop bitterness explode across the palate like a balast of pop-rocks. Enjoyable, and the best part was that it was not overly cloying or sticky on the toungue. I prefer Stone's regular IPA, though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BearBrewer (86) - New York, east village, New York, USA - APR 11, 2004
SO, perhaps I am not worthy. I cant tell if I liked this one. Pours a dark yellow/orange color with a rocky white head. The aroma is HUGE of hops. The taste, initially sweet tapers off quickly to extreme bitterness. I am actually a fan of bitterness, but this exceeds even dogfish's 120 minute IPA. Finishing this monster was kind of like a -strong cigar. It took some work. Overall, mixed impressions, interesting to drink, but not something Id drink often

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ross (2128) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - APR 5, 2004
pours out a dark yellow color with a small white head. aroma is strong of hops, and definately right down my alley. has a citrus smell too. first taste is bitter, very bitter, but not as bitter as i was thinking it was going to be. spicy finish with a nice mouthfeel, tastes great! this is awesome. now if NC would only get their damn law removed so i could buy this all the time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sammys (428) - Portland, Maine, USA - APR 4, 2004
I think my experience of this may be tainted, as I drank it AFTER having had half a fifth of Hennessey VSOP. FWIW: Very floral aroma with a nice coppery color and appealing head, flavor was pale and crystal malt with floral and citrus notes that lingered. Hoppy? Yes, but not ruinuous. Would like to try again.