overall

RATINGS: 3551   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 25, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2006 Rerate (5/24/06). Yes. More points for you Mr. Ruination. Aside from the very strong but non-abrassive hop assault on the nose and palate, there’s layer after layer of delicious malt here. Toasted white and dark breads, honey, light caramel. And the mouthfeel, the mouthfeel...ah, liquid gold. Fantastic. I would let it have my children.

To eat. In exchange for unlimited quantities of this beer. If I had any kids.

May 2004. Okay so this stuff is like liquid heaven to me now...go figure.

22 oz bottle, pint glass. Alright, I’m really scared of this one...here I go. Hazy light amber body has a large creamy head that lasts and laces quite well. I can smell this beer from about two feet away...HEAVY hop aroma is piney/resinous but mostly grapefruit citric. You might be able to smell some malt...if some other beer was sitting next to this one. Heavily bitter throughout...and not much else. Very little carbonation and a wonderful medium/full body with a creamy texture. Ya know, this ain’t so bad. I mean, I expected MUCH worse. I actually find this beer to be less abrasive than Arrogant Bastard. I’m still not going to seek this kind of beer out, but at least I can handle it! Hops become less biting and more sour as this beer warms, but all the wheels come off of this one around 65 degrees.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
landont3 (8) - USA - JUL 21, 2003 does not count
Very good IPA. A little pricy around here, but definately one of those beers you need to try.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerRunner (144) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 19, 2003
Without a doubt, one of my favorites! This is a very bitter, tangy, delicious IPA. I love it. Never, ever, never turn down a Stone Ruination IPA!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
ericnixon (741) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 14, 2003
Quite the nifty-ass hop monster in this one. Nice orangy color with huge hop aroma. big BIG BIG hoppy taste. pretty yummy stuff. not as gwood as Trois Floyds, but pretty frickin' damn gwood beer nonetheless.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
egajdzis (5456) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2003
Well a fruitfly poured out of mine. It was still alive and was walking on top of the head, so I know it wasn't bottled originally. It was a reddish golden color with a small head. Citrusy hop aroma, and the taste was dominated by hops. A big beer from Stone!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2003
A clear burnt gold color with a medium creamy white head. A mouthwatering aroma of floral pine, yeast, and frozen orange juice concentrate. Bitter hops are omnipresent, yet allowing spectacular background flavors ( caramel malts with a ever so slight hint of chocolate) to come through enhancing the overall effect. An extraordinary IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
fly (1420) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - JUL 5, 2003
I must be jaded. Or my pallette has been destroyed (ruined) prior to tasting this. I found it rather nice and once again as I approached a Stone beer with trepidation, I found that I had no need to squirm. It took me by the hand and walked me through a happy, hoppy tase. Sure, don't get me wrong - there's all the hops and more than most could ever want. Have just had a few over-zealous brewers in this city that love dosing a kettle with as much as it can handle when it comes to the bitter. If this is what you crave, fear not, but enjoy as I did.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
krisfleet (130) - Sharon, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 3, 2003
Holy hop-tastic batman. This is pure hops with a little bitter taste to compliment. This is the hoppiest beer I have sampled in my 120ish ratings. If you want hops, you want this. If you don't care for hops, stay away, very far away.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
VTDeerHunter (51) - Vermont, USA - JUL 2, 2003
Beautiful clear orange with a thick white foam head. Large, hoppy aroma. This is much maltier in both flavor and aroma than regular IPA, as well as hoppier. Medium bodied and almost creamy. Excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 30, 2003
Pours with a clear orange amber body topped by a medium thick off-white head with lots of lace. Wonderfully sweet citrusy (grapefruit) hop aroma. Sweet, piney hop flavor with notes of grapefruit and malty undertones. The finish is bitter from hops and lasting. Medium to full bi\odied and smooth.