overall

RATINGS: 3509   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 17, 2003
Hoppy beer. Strong nose, bitter on the palate. Definitely speaks up when you drink it. Hoppy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
sloth (2532) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - FEB 17, 2003
Beautiful,crystal clear gold color.Fluffy white head with good laceing.Large piney,citrusy nose.Med/full bodied.Fruity hoppy flavors abound.Alc. is well hidden at 8%!.I,ve been sittin on this bomber for a few weeks,its been killin me. Not sure why i did?Must say i was kinda dissapointed.Dont get me wrong,its a great IPA. I was just expecting more,i guess.More color,more bitterness. I was expecting to be bitch slapped with un godly amounts of alphas!Still a damn good brew though!Stone me!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
omhper (19974) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - FEB 17, 2003
Bottled, thanks hopsrus!!
Amber coloured, little head. Huge flowery grapefruit aroma. Completely dominated by hops, despite it's full body. The maltiness however is less soft and attractive than in Three Floyds Dreadnaught. To call the finish "bitter" would be a gross understatement...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - FEB 14, 2003
Good lord, the mouthfeel on this beasty is truly non pareil - I cannot believe how pickly and ALIVE this beer tastes. This one is right there with Pliny the Elder as the most hoppy, spikey IPA I've sampled. No amount of malt is going to balance this puppy out, but since it's all about the hoppy experience, we'll let that pass. Definitely a fine brew.

madsberg (10459) - Søborg, DENMARK - FEB 12, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2003 Bottled: One really wants to sing out loud and praise this magnificent brew. Kind of reminds me of the musical by Woody Allen "It's all about hops...". Is dark golden coloured with a medium lasting head. Hops and earth aromas. As soon as you start drinking, the hoppy bitterness hits you like a horse. The bitterness keeps on evolving on the palate, and leaves you with a pleasant feeling. This might not be the most complex beer I've ever tasted, but for sure I've never tasted anything as hoppy and bitter. Very good. As much as I really like this beer, I cannot rate it as high as the (IMHO) much more complex and harmonious belgian, dutch and british ales. Once again many thanks to herbjones for another top californian beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
document (36) - USA - FEB 8, 2003
I apparently didn't rate this, when I thought I had. No other IPA begins to approach. This is pure hops with the barest possible minimum of malt "balance." Simply outrageous hops, so much that you need to steel yourself before each sip. Do it, because when you do, each sip is bliss. This is the one, real deal, but only when you can be as pure and uncompromising as the beer itself.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Chief (11) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - FEB 7, 2003
Wow!!! How about them hops? Lusciously copper colour. Definitely flavoured. As soon as the bottle was open, it immediately smelled like a fresh hop field -- Yum! Yum! Wonderful head with nice tiny bubbles. Good lacing. It spanked me. I still feel the sting!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2003
Well, I was looking at the back of the bottle on this one and damn if the person who wrote the description wasn't a litle high on this beer. I expected one hell of a s.o.b. with the bitterness. First smell and I swear I was mistaken as I got a pleasantly sweet smell. First taste was a cautious one as I was still waiting for the knockout pucker. Not coming as I taste the pleasant taste of grapefruit. Had no problem drinking this IPA and made my cigar taste even better.

Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - FEB 1, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2005 Light copper with small head and excellent lace. Aroma a taste is sweeter than expected. Finish is not as bitter as expected. Very well balanced and tasty. Best IPA I’ve ever had. Rerate: Beautiful beer with fluffy white head on top. Very grapefruity and well balanced. Different than some of the others I’ve had lately. ReRerate 050105: Tasted very herbal today, like a stronger Celebration Ale. Honestly, I really don’t think as highly of it anymore. Not really my style of double IPA. I like a little more sweetness and less dryness. Knocked it down from 4.4 to 4.1

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Frank (3026) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 1, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2010 I have had this a few times since it’s entry to the Chicago market and it’s just not doing it for me anymore or not like it used to. I chaulked a few up to less than perfect bottle conditions but, frankly, while it has a nice, fresh hop aroma it is simply to dry and one dimensional to really grab my attention. It is a decent example of a straight down the middle IIPA but it lacks any real magic.

Original rating: (4.0) If you drink enough of this, the hops will actually preserve you. You’ll look like Keith Richards but you’ll live forever. Reddish golden color, thin head. It just sits there completely still on the table. The calm before the storm.

Citrus aroma--grapefruit and lemon rind. Bitter like an unemployed Vietnam vet. The hops slightly overpower the subtle malts jumping out of the brush. Not as well balanced as Stone’s regular IPA but that’s the whole pont.