overall

RATINGS: 3443   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jamrun (137) - Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA - SEP 8, 2002
beautifull head, golden bronze first sip wow hops then nutty maltiness finnishing with a combination of the two

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
KingPinHead (390) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - SEP 7, 2002
Very fine floral/citrus/hoppy aroma...Color is a gorgeous glowing peach-tinged copper with creamy frothy head---sheet lace...Hop flavors are intense but well-rounded---excellent bloom embellished by compatible spritely carbonation...malt base adds subtle sweet tones...The finish features the most unusual flavor of flower petals...nice mouthfeel and body...Overall, not really as overpowering as I was expecting, which translates to: "A very flavorful, substantial, lovely, well-balanced IPA...In the first rank of the genre."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrDick (347) - San Francisco, California, USA - SEP 7, 2002
The huge hop flavour of this IPA is balanced nicely with the nutty malt. If I were to suck on grape leaves, it would remind me of this beer. Another remarkable beer by Stone Brewing Co.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
argo0 (11440) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 6, 2002
Rerate: orange with nice head. The grapefruit hoppiness makes my mouth instantly water. When I lift my glass, Iím not disappointed, as this baby has bite, lots of it, and a healthy malt backbone that I didnít find the last time I tried it. Gotta get some more of this one!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
gerdy555 (163) - Ohio, USA - SEP 5, 2002
another winner from stone. this is a great example of a traditional ipa. high alcohol content and high bitterness. though for as bitter as it is it isnít overwhealming and is very well balanced. bravo.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
40oz (181) - Newport Beach, California, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Amber color with a thick creamy white head. Citrusy, flowery, junipery, fruity Cascade hop aroma with a hint of doughy maltyness. Strong citrus, tea, hop flavor bitterness that is mixed with a candy sugar like sweetness that also provides a somewhat heavy mouthfeel. A very tasty beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mtoast (336) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2002
The only bad thing I can say about this beer is that it isnít as "sweet" as the 5th anniversary was, which balanced the beer nicely. The Ruination is incredibly unbalanced towards the hops and I love it for that fact. Ruination is godfather of IPA

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 1, 2002
Beatiful golden orange colour with generous white head. This beer is all about fruity hop aromas and flavours. Not so much grapefruit as in other American IPAs, but lots of peach, passion fruit, papaya, mango, guava, and various berries. Oh man, I feel like Iím in an orchard, or at least a roadside fruit stall. Itís intensely bitter, yet at the same time incredibly sweet because of the fruit flavours. An amazing IPA!! Definitely one of my favourites!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - SEP 1, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 1, 2005 Ironically I drank this right before I broke up with my girlfriend. Check the definition on the bottle, thatís what happened to us. Really a good IPA though.... Rerate: Nice strong hop aroma. Taste is big hops, somewhat unbalanced with bitterness.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - AUG 30, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2004 Well, the funny thing is, this is my first real IPA. This beer has set the standard for me now. It's the best I've had in awhile. User_Ex sent me a bottle of this and oooooh, I can still taste it now. The beer had a cool, crisp, aroma of a hop forest first thing in the morning. Alcohol flavor was well masked, and (like Oakes just said), an 'earthy, resiny' taste existed. Deep copper color, with perfect effervescence, and decent head. Lace was minimal, but sufficient. But to smell this beer and drink it is heaven. I am going to have to move down south very soon.