overall

RATINGS: 3635   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 7, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 14, 2006 Another big, bold, in your face ale from Stone. Pours deep amber color with a thick off-white head and nice lacing. Aroma is full, bracing and instantly communicates the assertive hop character of this ale. Flavor is surprisingly balanced for a 100+ IBU brew with rich malts notable along with the massive hops. The high alcohol level is barely discernable in the flavor and it sweetened noticibly as it warmed as well. Medium body, smooth carbonation and overall nice mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 7, 2003
Real nice hoppy kick. Hoppy and malty flavor. Finish is dry, bitter, and clean.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
ClarkVV (4217) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 2, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2006 2003 bottle. Aroma is hoppy. Not citrusy-hoppy. There is definitely some sugary malt smell in there, almost like molasses. Very poignant, though I was expecting a much more profound aroma. Beer is clear. Why is this filtered?? Booooo. Unimpressive appearance. Looks like any other IPA. Nice small white head. Good amber color. If you cant already tell, I was disappointed with this beer. I heard so much that hyped it up, but I will try not to be biased and not base my rating on expectations. Opens up with a fairly acidic hops flavor that is clear and bold. However, malt rushes in immediately. After my first few sips, I thought, too much malt?? Wow, I was surprised, I definitely applaud balancing out an IPA with good caramel malt, but this almost seemed like too much. It added a fuzzy texture and seemed to detract from the hops flavor. This reminded me of Sam Smiths IPA which was quite traditional and balanced. Unfortunately I feel the hops flavor here is not as clear. The hops succumbed and did not persist, distinctly, on the finish. I think the addition of so much alcohol prevented Stone from achieving what Samuel Smiths did, a soft balanced traditional ale. With only about 66% of the alcohol, Sam Smiths presents a much less acidic, hoppy treat. This certainly was drinkable though, good floral notes, surpringly lacking in citrus (relatively speaking), but had a lot of molasses/brown sugar appeal towards the middle of the body. The beer was also flat. Some more carbonation (perhaps derived from a bottle fermentation, hint hint), would have added some much needed zip. Will definitely try again and rerate. Would imagine this to gain a lot of points on tap, hopefully i can test that theory soon.
2004 bottle
Well either I was on drugs last time I had this, or a lot has changed. Bitter. Pure soily fresh hops on the nose. Flavor starts out hoppy, gets bitter and extremely fresh and hoppy. Neither citrus nor floral notes dominate, but the malt is there only in texture. It is lightly sweet on the finish. Just pure, brutal, let’s-see-how-hoppy-we-can-make-this beer. My score reflects the quality of the beer, not how much I like it.
2005 draught It’s nice to try this fresh on draught and damn is it bitter, but the quality is impressive, really good hops flavor, tons of thick malt. It burns on the end still, and makes me cringe. Can only finish a glass if I make a point to do so.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
FezMonkey (268) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 24, 2003
I'm going by memory because I was without internet when I had this one. It good but I am not sure if I prefer the original or not. I guess that gives me a reason to go buy another IPA to make sure!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 24, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 7, 2003 Pours a light gold-red with a small amount of head. A pleasent citrus, hoppy aroma. Nice floral, hoppy flavor. Very smooth palate with a bitter finish and some lace. Great IPA, don't know which i like better, this or the original.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
haddon90 (1561) - Costa Mesa, California, USA - AUG 21, 2003
Not as good as the original IPA. But still, nice golden pour. Great lingering head. But not quite the hoppy kick i was hoping. But still, a damn good IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 20, 2003
Here I go, ruining my palate for life. Pours a beautiful gold to amber color with a very large head. This beer has a huge aroma. The glass is currently 2 feet away, but I can still smell its beautiful floral hop aroma. This is one hoppy beer! Big sweet hop taste with an amazingly bitter finish. There is a big, big malt prescene too. This glorious beer massages your palate with the perfect amount of carbonation and delights it with a constantly changing flavor. I agree with the previous rater, that this blows away the regular Stone IPA and all other IPA's. Has my palate been ruined? You bet. I'll have to start buying this by the case.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - AUG 19, 2003
Such an incredibly tasty beer. I personally think it blows away the standard IPA from Stone. So beautiful you do not want to take another sip, you just want to sit there and stare at it, and admire it. Cloudy and orange, creamy and hazy. A real fruity cream pie essence to this one. Incredibly spicy and hoppy, I cannot even begin to name all of the complex subtelties that I am enjoying with this one. Something new in every taste. Surely a liquid poem to the glory of the hop.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BBB63 (6447) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 17, 2003
Cooper hue with minimal heads or lace. Aroma was very floral, piney, candy, grapefruity, earthy, and oaky. Oh hell yea, it sure is hoppy and bitter...but also, the balance of taste is wonderful. It leaves me wanting more instead of running for the water and bread. Medium to full-bodied, a warm and creamy mouthfeel, yet dry too. I've had brews with a hell of lot less IBU that tasted less balanced this Ruination, it impresses me how these big IPA can do this. Look how far we've come in American brewing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 15, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2003 Bottle. Poured nice light orange color, not much head, a small number of medium-sized bubbles. Aroma piney, spicy, floral. Nice. Taste grapefruit, pine. finishes smooth, could use a little more maltiness for the end, but such a wonderful bitterness--hopheads rejoice! My tongue coatith over. Al-in-all a very nice IPA. No extra points for being brewed in the city I was born in, but it's still nice.