overall

RATINGS: 3454   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - AUG 30, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2004 Well, the funny thing is, this is my first real IPA. This beer has set the standard for me now. It's the best I've had in awhile. User_Ex sent me a bottle of this and oooooh, I can still taste it now. The beer had a cool, crisp, aroma of a hop forest first thing in the morning. Alcohol flavor was well masked, and (like Oakes just said), an 'earthy, resiny' taste existed. Deep copper color, with perfect effervescence, and decent head. Lace was minimal, but sufficient. But to smell this beer and drink it is heaven. I am going to have to move down south very soon.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
uglybastard (101) - Riverside, California, USA - AUG 27, 2002
Nice creamy head that leaves lace around the glass. Golden honey looking body. Abundance of hops in the nose, bitter and floral. Take a taste and it’s like drinking liquid hops only this hoppy hellion is, indeed, nicely balanced with malt. Just enough to take the rough edge off. Also a definate alcohol burn in there as well. Nice IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Oakes (12552) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 26, 2002
Light copper; piney, foresty hop aroma. Hops just clobber the palate. Rich malts come in later - an earthy, resiny brew. Very intense, but I have to admit, I’ve never been thrilled with these over-the-top beers and wouldn’t want to drink them as a general rule.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - AUG 24, 2002
Attention all hop-heads! - go try this beer! Flowery aroma of that is a perfect reproduction of fresh hops. Initial flavor of sweet malt followed by a lingering bitter hop aftertaste. Stone is the only brewery that can have this much hops and till maintain a perfect balance. I have yet to be disappointed by this brewery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - AUG 23, 2002
Lots of Hops and fresh sawed wood in the nose. Beautiful tight buttermilk head, and a lovely tarnished brass color. Ruination starts with a lot of hops and grapefruit and a woderfull bitterness nicly tempered by a decent amount of malt. For +100 IBU’s this beer remains non-abrasive with mild alcohol notes and a plesant grain mouthfeel as it warms. Not Quite the 5th Aniversay IPA but the next best thing for fans of huge IPA’s

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 20, 2002
Light golden appearance. Lumber is evident in the nose, something of a 2x12x16 piece of quality grade SPF lumber. Touches of malt also in the aroma along with some citrus. The body is really where the malt comes in handy, really hides the 100+ IBU’s that this beer claims to contains. Don’t get me wrong, this beer is big and hoppy, but the hops are balanced well by the malt. Interesting beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Radek Kliber (6457) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - AUG 19, 2002
Oakes me and Daboskabouter had this one on our little beer meeting last weekend. Bottle look neat with that stone gargoyle. So... It had light amber color, lively look. Some bubbles. Strong intense taste. Hop big time. It said 100 + IBU was said (I was not sure if there really was that much but what do I know?). I must agree with my fellow friends SPF all time. Nice stuff but I do wonder if it is really top 50 material ? By the way SPF means Spruce Pine Fir.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 18, 2002
Very Impressed with these boys from stone. These guys are so not afraid to say scew you we’ll brew it any way we want. And man am I glad they do. This is truly an assault on yer palate and nasal passages. The most beautiful earthy aroma. And the hop kick. I gotta move somewhere were i can buy these guys beer at the store.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
gargoyle32 (8) - Escondido, California, USA - AUG 12, 2002 does not count
Nice citrusy/floral aroma. Lighter color than I expected with a nice creamy head. Strong hop flavor (what else from 100+ IBUs). Slight malty mouthfeel. Nice dry finish. The Stone crew takes pride in their IPAs and this is definitely is one to be proud of.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopnpop (69) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 12, 2002
Don’t be fulled by the relatively light color; this is one powerful IPA! The floral aroma on this beer is intoxicating. I must admit, though, this beer reminds me alot of Anderson Valley’s Hop Ottin’ IPA.