overall

RATINGS: 3509   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dogbrick (8680) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 5, 2002
This beer will definitely make your tongue stand up and do a little jig. IPAs are not one of my favorite styles but I will make an exception in this case. Nice dark golden color with a medium thick off-white head. Sinus-clearing hops aroma with a nice floral touch. Senses-shattering hops flavor along with grapefruit and a little malt to keep your heart from stopping. Nice long, bitter finish. Excellent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ernest (6352) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 1, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2003 Head is initially small, frothy, white, mostly diminishing. Body is clear dark yellow. Aroma is moderately hoppy (pine, resin, grapefruit, flowers), lightly malty (cookie), with a light note of ashes. Flavor is moderately sweet, moderately bitter, moderately acidic. Finish is lightly sweet, moderately acidic, heavily bitter. Medium to full body, velvety texture, lively carbonation, moderately astringent. Nothing new...if you like Stone IPAs, you'll like it. If not, you won't.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - OCT 28, 2002
Ya wanna ruin my palate? sure, bring it on! This could cause internal bleeding when consumed by a Macro drinker! Well, this sure is hoppy - it actually gained a certain burning "sweetness" to it as I drained the bottle. Nice thick body too. (I plan on tasting it against the Buckeye ’76 which is also 100ibu - may re-rate then)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 26, 2002
Light copper color,citrus-piney aroma. Leaves clingy sheets of lace in the glass.Hoppy as hell but still very balanced, I love it. Thanks herbjones.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Darkover (1518) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 25, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2005 Pale cloudy amber color, big thick beige head. Strong piney hop aroma and flavor. Long bitter finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 25, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2003 Floral, grapefruit, herb, pine nose. White head. Golden honey hue. My goodness, my palate hurts! Hops dominate all the way through, supported by a slim malt backbone. Chewy, and incredibly balanced, medium bodied. Tons of pine needles, grapefruit, flowers. Long dry finish. This is incredible, potent stuff. Alcohol is completely hidden. Damn damn damn, I love this stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mwsf (360) - San Francisco, California, USA - OCT 25, 2002
Copper color. Slightly hazy. Medium two-finger white head after an average pour. Wonderful slighty-grassy hop aroma with balancing caramel malt nose. Very strong bitterness. Great hop flavor. Full malt flavor although not enough to balance the hops, and that’s okay. Some sweet caramel malt flavor. Medium-to-full bodied. This is damn good beer. The first time I had it, the bitterness seemed more subdued (although this was near the end of a long day of tasting). This time, it’s a full-on hop blast with some tasty sweet malt to back it up. Damn good!

schm1005 (151) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 22, 2002
IPA with a super hoppy Stone flavor that this brewery is famous for. Solid aroma, slightly fruity. Heavy on the hops with a distinct flavor. Aftertaste doesn’t last forever but still lingers slightly with the hops sticking to your tongue like glue. I like it and think that it is a great IPA but I am not sure I would want to handle two 22oz’s of that type of taste bud displacement. The flavor changes markedly as it warms up, but perhaps not to the better. Definitely a strong arrow to keep in your beer quiver though.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - OCT 22, 2002
Actually, I think I prefer the regular IPA. This is pretty much the same, except where as in the IPA you get more flavor and less bitterness, here you get the opposite. I also noticed that the bitterness seems to diminish rather rapidly, causing the flavor to do the same. This is less of a palate beer than the IPA. I had this almost back to back with Rogue’s I2PA and this seemed less ’ruining’ to the palate. I know I’m being hard on the guys at Stone, but I have to give them shit now and then to balance out all the wonderful things I say about them.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
herbstress3 (221) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 21, 2002
Nice creamy head and great rich smokey fruity smell. Very bitter and delightful beer; creeps into your taste buds but aftertaste a little dry and weak. Aftertaste stops a little too early. I was expecting the goddess of all beers right here but I guess I’ll keep looking.