overall

RATINGS: 3614   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

Silphium (3188) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAY 19, 2003
An IPA, you say? I tried Ruination back-to-back with Stone IPA, and Ruination is more similar to the barleywines I've tasted than it is to the other IPAs I've tasted (which is not a bad thing in my book). Ruination is still dominated by floral hops, but I found it to be richly complex, and caramely, as opposed to bitter. 'Tis interesting to see how different styles are interpreted by different brewers. Both thumbs up; Ruination is one to look for at your favorite ale shop.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - MAY 16, 2003
I like this beer and do not think it is as "over the top" as I have read. Color is light for the style and the aroma is sweet with little hoppiness. I am not scared as suggested by the verbage on the bottle and I expected this to be virtually impallatable based upon the review I have read. Good hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. Not as balanced as I would have liked. Needs to be a bit more sweet

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheBelgian (24) - USA - MAY 16, 2003
Wonderful hoppy IPA. Stone knows that people will either love it or hate it, not many will be on the fence. I love it. Great aroma and flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - MAY 5, 2003
im almost afraid to say it... but i feel this Stone brew is a lil over done, the ipa is outstanding... but to have the try and out do it is a little crazy, a good beer by any means but not the best

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Cobra (1100) - - MAY 4, 2003
Now, don't get me wrong, I like hoppy beers, but this was not a well done hoppy beer. It has an average appearance, a thick but not long lasting head, but it is extremely unbalanced in my opinion. It has a sickly-sweet smell to it when opened, it is overloaded with Cascade hops, mainly due to dry hopping. The malt flavor is simply overwhelmed by the over-use of so many hops. Stone brewing has great beers as a rule, and I like their Arrogant Bastard, and their Double Bastard, but this one was just too much for me. I couldn't even finish the 22 oz. bottle I got, so that should tell you something.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - APR 29, 2003
Distinguishes itself from other IPAs by NOT having a strong grapefruit flavor. Extremely crisp, no unwelcome tang. Soft citrus nose, w/caramel undertones. Mellows and softens as one's tongue begins to surrender.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
3fourths (8497) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - APR 20, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2014 so it is brutish, western, astringent, tea-like, rough and husky, sweet. scrolling.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 19, 2003
Bright golden amber, average head, hop citrus apricot honey aroma. Very bitter beginning and finish, little bit malt finish, keeps getting more and more bitter as I drink it until I start to get used to it, somewhat. Too bitter to have often, prefer the regular stone IPA. At times this has the same apricot taste as the arrogant bastard. I think this is where I draw the line and say uncle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mreeves (275) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - APR 14, 2003
As the description says, very bitter but surprisingly well balanced for a beer with over 100 IBU's. Strong alcoholic aroma and you can definitely taste the alcohol. Wonderful, hoppy finish. One of my favorite beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jjw2000 (72) - USA - APR 14, 2003
Strong hoppy aroma. Nice golden color with unremarkable head. Extremely bitter taste with medium body. Finish is also bitter and substantial. When looking for it, can also detect some malt.