overall

RATINGS: 3454   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUL 19, 2002
íOH BABY OH BABYí! Been waitení on this one all day. Crystal clear and copper colored, the head is an off white, the lace in sheets. íOh that smellí To quote Lynard, íTis hopsí that greets your nose, a bit of malt, Lemon-lime crisp. A tad sweet at the start. the top is medium, BAM, SLAM, POW, SPLAT, Hops íBaby, thatís the name of the game as far as Iím concerned, strong, dry, lightly acidic. Havenít tasted this much hops since I took a sip of íHop Oilí. ranks #159 on my master beer list.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
joet (2172) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JUL 14, 2002
EKG or Noble hops without any mustiness, no sign of an imminent whalloping blast of hops -- itís a medium full aroma, the body is slightly heavier than the Alesmith IPA. Significant but subdued malt flavors. Delicious -- Iím happy. Lots of dry hopping and itís remarkably clean. Not quite the brutal hop juice I was anticipating but it is enjoyably hoppy. Maintains a great aroma and a building bitter to the bottom of the glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
aracauna (3084) - Georgia, USA - JUL 12, 2002
I have to admit I was afraid of this beer. The bitterness of beer always gave me problems, but I have managed to gradually build up a tolerance to hops and have even managed an appreciation for hoppy beers ala HopDevil. Still I was afraid of this beer because of all the talk of it being over 100 IBUs. Then I crack it open. Sure itís huge hops (black pepper, citrus peel and flowers) but not as much as I was expecting. I take a big swig and ... it goes down easily. Itís kind of cool how the bitterness and most of the flavor is time delayed. The huge flavor doesnít hit until right about the time I swallow. You get a bit of malt at the beginning and some more in the end as the beer warms, but the hoppage overpowers it. Iím still burping the hops 4 hours later.

MrRomero (1975) - Nolanville, USA - JUL 12, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2006 Oh my! Hopped, megahopped, massively hopped. A hop loverís dream. Immense flavor, beautiful copper color, nice head, pepper aftertaste. This is now my favorite IPA. It compares to no other IPA. If this is an IPA, then all other IPAís may as well be called Bud or Miller. 07/12/2002 9-5-10-4-19 Rerate 16 Sep 06: Orange/yellow with medium white head. Still a big hop presence with lots of caramel. Big hops and citrus with some pineapple. Light soapiness. Still a damn fine beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
robtdaw99 (3) - USA - JUL 11, 2002 does not count
Beautiful color; lighter than I expected. Great, sharp, hops feel, taste, aroma. Full of flavor but crisp enough to be quite refreshing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopscotch (9163) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUL 10, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2003 This beer really, really rocks. It is the color of liquid Gold with an albino white head. The aroma is very floral. Smells like a hop blossom... ok, an entire acre of the little green bastards. The flavor? HOPS, malt, HOPS, slightly pungent... did I mention HOPS? This beer has a very dry, crisp, fizzy finish. Unbelievably smooth for a 100+ IBUer. HOPHEADS REJOICE. Wait! I think I just burped up a little green flower. Nope, false alarm.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 6, 2002
What a beer! The hops creep in under the auspices of a mellow party on your tongue. Then they bust out the heavy metal gear and tear up your palate. Still the hops are well balanced with some maltyness that keeps the hops from being overbearing. A very well crafted beer that I thouroughly enjoyed. Way to go Greg, now send me some Russian Imperial Stout!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - JUL 1, 2002
WOW. Not for those sensitive to hops. Aroma is that of a fresh growing vine just buddung with that years crop. Slight maltiness in body countered by a big hop bitterness and a slight bite to finish. Definitely one of the top IPAs out there.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
maxhits (172) - Pico Rivera, California, USA - JUN 23, 2002
Woody, good bitterness early and throughout the entire tasting experience -- from entry through swallow. Thankfully, and I say again, thankfully... this one, although measuring in at 100 IBUs (bitterness units), is not the palate destroyer that Stoneís Double Arrogant Bastard is. a great beer to pair with cigars. If you like big, powerful (7.7% ABV), insanely hopped and bitter (100 IBUs) beers, with little sweetness and loads of woody, herbally flavor... then the Ruination IPA is a fantastic ale for you. Itís new on the market and may be a little hard to find, but it is definitely worth the effort. Personally, I find the Arrogant Bastard to be a better beer, and when compared to the Double Arrogant Bastard -- a 100+ IBU palate destroyer -- I find the Ruination IPA to be a better, more stable and enjoyable beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
legion242 (2193) - Richardson, Texas, USA - JUN 21, 2002
Penny colored; Head was semi-dense but faded to thin quickly; DRY DRY hops in the nose- almost astringent and definitely intriguing. The ibuís are amazingly well balanced- I am very surprised. Will it ruin your palate? Yes. But there is still room for a bit of malt balance there. Taking a deep breath directly before each sip sends the senses into overtime! It sis not scorch the tingue with hops the way I might have expected- the hype might just over prepare you for this one- dive in head first and enjoy!