overall

RATINGS: 3454   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

JoeCanals (9) - USA - APR 2, 2006 does not count
As I was buying this beer someone said to me " I heard Stone wasnít too good" Yeah, and the world is flat. Very citrusy aroma. Looooong lasting firm head. Hops, hops, and more hops, but somehow, not overpowering. Very balanced beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
californiapete (9) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 29, 2006 does not count
While I cut my craft-beer teeth two decades ago on Sierra Nevadaís hoppy pale ale, I canít really call myself a hophead by todayís rather ambitious standards. Thus, with a bias toward "balanced" beers rather than more extreme offerings, and with a lukewarm response to Stoneís Arrogant Bastard (which I find way too harshly bitter), I wasnít very optimistic about Stoneís facefull-of-hops iconic DIPA. But man is this one outstanding beer! The hop aroma upon opening and pouring is indeed in your face. Itís an aroma I enjoy while brewing beer, but much like black pepper and vanilla when cooking, Iíd rather it be tempered and blended with other ingredients when actually drinking beer. In other words, not unpleasant, just out of place. But thatís the last of my complaints. The bitterness is definitely pronounced, but the beer remains surprisingly drinkable. There are some really good sweet, biscuity malt undertones to this beer, as well as an appropriate amount of alcoholic warmth. Moreover, the longer one lingers over this beer, the more those malt aromas and flavors come through, making for an amazingly balanced beer (for something that claims -->100 IBUs) and a relatively drinkable one, too, at least for a beer of its strength. Iím still not much of a fan of Stoneís imagery (gargoyles, dare-you-to-drink-me marketing type/hype), but a great beer will always rise above its packaging.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jgolden (9) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 8, 2006 does not count
Very tasty. Citrusy and a little dry at the same time. It wasnít my favorite at first, but by the end, you are ready to buy again. Great brewery, great beer. I still prefer dogfish head 90 min and smuttynose by a little bit.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ajax4 (9) - USA - SEP 18, 2007 does not count
Small white head complements the copper body. Aroma of pine and grapefruit. Sweet malt backbone supports a barrage of hops that invoke not only bitterness, but also grapefruit and some floral spice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
campmonster (9) - USA - MAR 27, 2008 does not count
A great beer experience. Smooth and distinguished. Glorious bite and great finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
shevanel (9) - Arizona, USA - JUN 23, 2008 does not count
Amazing light amber color with an interesting aroma. Heavy in hops, malt, and alcohol scents. Definately too strong for my general taste. The creamy fizzy alcoholic flavor stays well after you are done. Definately one of the best IPAs out there, but it is not on my list of beers I want to repeatedly drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JonL (9) - Toodyay, AUSTRALIA - NOV 27, 2008 does not count
Had a bottle of this when in Vegas...holy hell! Initial impression of bottled hop flowers with a touch of malt at the back there somewhere - slightly overpowering at first, until your taste buds are bludgeoned into line! By the end of the bottle I was starting to enjoy it,and appreciate its nuances a bit more. We need more beer like this in Aus.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mike69neilson (9) - NEW ZEALAND - MAR 20, 2009 does not count
Pours a straw like golden hue with a thin tight head, Pungent citrus aroma, Flavour was a balance of sweetish malt that was well balanced with bitterness, Huge Citrus flavour with a touch of pine hiding in there. Awsome beer one I could drink quite alot of!!! untill I fell over!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
eje (9) - , New York, USA - AUG 2, 2009 does not count
Bottled. Bitter, strong. Truly ruins the taste buds - my girlfriend was drinking a Midas Touch and needed to cut the flavor - I gave her a sip of my Ruination. True to its word it certainly dulled the flavor of the Midas. A powerful, hoppy beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
alexlrar (9) - Arkansas, USA - SEP 27, 2009 does not count
750 to pilsner. Unfrigginí believable. My palate is certainly burnt out but this is a tremendous IPA. Very hot/hoppy throughout, which changes significantly as the beer approaches room temp. This may be my favorite IPA.