overall

RATINGS: 3472   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
Appletart (10) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 15, 2003
(Cask) Ummm...this beer smells like the inside of my dresser, which, by the way, belonged to my great-grandmother. I was definately hesitant. Oh my dear lord(!), it tastes like I just licked a tree. Like just whipping out your tongue and going to town on a gnared out, sappy fuckin' tree. Gnar. I can't tell you the texture, I was too busy grossing out & wiping my tongue off with a paper towel. A very decieving, warm & inviting color. I feel ill, thanx.

PerfectV (10) - USA - JUN 24, 2006
Starts with a very floral aroma. It has a burnt copper colour. This IPA is absolutely brutal in the sense that its initial fruity flavor is merely a set up for a vicious bitter finish. This is the Hop-lovers dream...A+++

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ender (10) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUN 26, 2006
What can you really say about this beer? Freakin crazy aroma. So much hops bitterness and pinyness...smells like somone stuck a bouqet of hops in your face. Tastes about the same...a little maltyness in the background...obviously the hops takes over right away and leaves you almost puckering...love this one. Hop heads rejoice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Biohazard (10) - USA - JAN 2, 2008
Strong IPA from Stone, obtained from a small liqour store on Haight in San Francisco. Aroma is a mixture of toast and pine. Strikes the pallet with piney hop bitterness backed by a slight but definite caramel / toffee malt presence and hints of complex alcohols. Overall, a strong double IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerBeatnik (10) - North Carolina, USA - MAY 26, 2010
The only thing that ruined me about this really nice IPA was the sticker price. When I got the bill I was shocked! I have no idea what Stone charges for this IPA but it wasnít worth $7.50 on tap. The aroma was really good. Same with the appearance, taste, and palate. Like I said, a really good IPA. But, the price really needs to come down.... make sure there is some sort of special going before ordering.

itfitz (10) - California, USA - MAY 27, 2010
This DIPA hasnít made its way to the top of most expertís taste lists by just being "average." Yes, itís strong. Yes, itís VERY bitter. Yes, itís known as "hophead heroin." Those who complain about Ruinationís lack of maltiness are not familiar with the style, nor with the philosophy of Stone Brewing Company. Stone hit a home run with this liquid gold, and those lucky enough to find it (and fortunate enough to be able to afford it) will surely have a memorable experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
thomasmmc (10) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 11, 2010
On draught Rattle N Hum, overall slightly too much hops for my liking, but not enough for me not to enjoy it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jgolden (9) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 8, 2006 does not count
Very tasty. Citrusy and a little dry at the same time. It wasnít my favorite at first, but by the end, you are ready to buy again. Great brewery, great beer. I still prefer dogfish head 90 min and smuttynose by a little bit.

JoeCanals (9) - USA - APR 2, 2006 does not count
As I was buying this beer someone said to me " I heard Stone wasnít too good" Yeah, and the world is flat. Very citrusy aroma. Looooong lasting firm head. Hops, hops, and more hops, but somehow, not overpowering. Very balanced beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
californiapete (9) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 29, 2006 does not count
While I cut my craft-beer teeth two decades ago on Sierra Nevadaís hoppy pale ale, I canít really call myself a hophead by todayís rather ambitious standards. Thus, with a bias toward "balanced" beers rather than more extreme offerings, and with a lukewarm response to Stoneís Arrogant Bastard (which I find way too harshly bitter), I wasnít very optimistic about Stoneís facefull-of-hops iconic DIPA. But man is this one outstanding beer! The hop aroma upon opening and pouring is indeed in your face. Itís an aroma I enjoy while brewing beer, but much like black pepper and vanilla when cooking, Iíd rather it be tempered and blended with other ingredients when actually drinking beer. In other words, not unpleasant, just out of place. But thatís the last of my complaints. The bitterness is definitely pronounced, but the beer remains surprisingly drinkable. There are some really good sweet, biscuity malt undertones to this beer, as well as an appropriate amount of alcoholic warmth. Moreover, the longer one lingers over this beer, the more those malt aromas and flavors come through, making for an amazingly balanced beer (for something that claims -->100 IBUs) and a relatively drinkable one, too, at least for a beer of its strength. Iím still not much of a fan of Stoneís imagery (gargoyles, dare-you-to-drink-me marketing type/hype), but a great beer will always rise above its packaging.