overall

RATINGS: 3505   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hops4thebest (11) - USA - JAN 18, 2007
I can’t figure out why people fuss about this beer. I like hops, and so the high IBU’s are a plus for me. But to me the citrus, pine, grass, etc., etc., that others describe in this beer are not nearly present enough. This is a very good beer, sure, but compared to other top DIPA’s I think this one has a notably one dimensional flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Carl (11) - Issaquah, Washington, USA - AUG 20, 2007
Bottle. Hops dominate every aspect of this beer. Pours frothy with a substantial white head. Color is golden and clear. Strong floral hop aroma with hints of clove. Very bitter almost fizzy taste with a long finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
kerplun1 (11) - New York, USA - OCT 24, 2007
very nice looking pour with a thick head that slowly dissipates leaving some nice lacing. Aroma doesn’t strike me as too hoppy and is quite nice. I expected big hops on first sip and got that and then some. Bitter for sure and I can feel a numbness on my tongue. Aftertaste is bitter. A well made beer but so bitter it strikes me as gimmicky.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopHeadedDevil (11) - , North Carolina, USA - MAY 16, 2009
Citrus and floral hop aroma. Hazy orange pour with a decent off white head. Crisp, bitter hop flavor with citrus overtones. Not quite as hoppy as I’d expect given the description on the bottle. Worth the money at $16/6-pack.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SteelyDog (11) - Texas, USA - NOV 20, 2009
Wow. A welcome hoppy assault on the taste buds. Beautiful gold color with a big head. Very bitter with a sweet aftertaste. Goes down quite smoothly considering it is an imperial IPA. Great both by bottle and on tap.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
rhys_mavis (11) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 27, 2010
There is a reason why this beer has a 100 overall rating, it’s strong, its hoppy, it’s amazing. I personally enjoy it out of a bottle then from the tap because the bottle seems to allow it to age a bit better than the keg. For further research on stone beers try out arrogant bastard ale and Stone IPA.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Buukwurm (11) - California, USA - SEP 14, 2012
The beer pours a clear, deep orange-gold with a frothy head that leaves a network of lace in its wake. As beautiful a beer as I have ever seen. The aroma is predominantly citrus with floral overtones. The taste, as one would expect, is very bitter with a long bitter finish. The beer opens up in the mouth with a lively carbonation.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Carden1972 (11) - Montgomery, Maryland, USA - APR 4, 2013
Man could you pack any more piny citrus notes in the aroma. Fanfrinking fantastic. I’d give it an 11 if I could. Great everything else too. Little slick in palate. But other than that great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
psuox (11) - - AUG 2, 2013
Intensely hoppy with a bitterness that lasts for a long time after tasting it, and in a good way. Malts present great flavors up front that gradually give way to the hops. Truly a beer for hop lovers. Very impressive IPA. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
Appletart (10) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 15, 2003
(Cask) Ummm...this beer smells like the inside of my dresser, which, by the way, belonged to my great-grandmother. I was definately hesitant. Oh my dear lord(!), it tastes like I just licked a tree. Like just whipping out your tongue and going to town on a gnared out, sappy fuckin' tree. Gnar. I can't tell you the texture, I was too busy grossing out & wiping my tongue off with a paper towel. A very decieving, warm & inviting color. I feel ill, thanx.