overall

RATINGS: 3584   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

itfitz (10) - California, USA - MAY 27, 2010
This DIPA hasnít made its way to the top of most expertís taste lists by just being "average." Yes, itís strong. Yes, itís VERY bitter. Yes, itís known as "hophead heroin." Those who complain about Ruinationís lack of maltiness are not familiar with the style, nor with the philosophy of Stone Brewing Company. Stone hit a home run with this liquid gold, and those lucky enough to find it (and fortunate enough to be able to afford it) will surely have a memorable experience.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Tstandiford (10) - Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA - FEB 17, 2013
Drank in a tulip Honey color Head dissipates semi fast, little lacing. Smell: Hops, Fruity scents. Honey? Taste: Sweet. Honey Bitter hop finish that lingers Mouthfeel: Numbing fizziness ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
shrevis (10) - Illinois, USA - MAY 16, 2013
Amazingly hoppy. This is a favorite that I will grab whenever I can find it (which is easier said than done compared to living in Escondido) ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

JoeCanals (9) - USA - APR 2, 2006 does not count
As I was buying this beer someone said to me " I heard Stone wasnít too good" Yeah, and the world is flat. Very citrusy aroma. Looooong lasting firm head. Hops, hops, and more hops, but somehow, not overpowering. Very balanced beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
californiapete (9) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 29, 2006 does not count
While I cut my craft-beer teeth two decades ago on Sierra Nevadaís hoppy pale ale, I canít really call myself a hophead by todayís rather ambitious standards. Thus, with a bias toward "balanced" beers rather than more extreme offerings, and with a lukewarm response to Stoneís Arrogant Bastard (which I find way too harshly bitter), I wasnít very optimistic about Stoneís facefull-of-hops iconic DIPA. But man is this one outstanding beer! The hop aroma upon opening and pouring is indeed in your face. Itís an aroma I enjoy while brewing beer, but much like black pepper and vanilla when cooking, Iíd rather it be tempered and blended with other ingredients when actually drinking beer. In other words, not unpleasant, just out of place. But thatís the last of my complaints. The bitterness is definitely pronounced, but the beer remains surprisingly drinkable. There are some really good sweet, biscuity malt undertones to this beer, as well as an appropriate amount of alcoholic warmth. Moreover, the longer one lingers over this beer, the more those malt aromas and flavors come through, making for an amazingly balanced beer (for something that claims -->100 IBUs) and a relatively drinkable one, too, at least for a beer of its strength. Iím still not much of a fan of Stoneís imagery (gargoyles, dare-you-to-drink-me marketing type/hype), but a great beer will always rise above its packaging.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jgolden (9) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 8, 2006 does not count
Very tasty. Citrusy and a little dry at the same time. It wasnít my favorite at first, but by the end, you are ready to buy again. Great brewery, great beer. I still prefer dogfish head 90 min and smuttynose by a little bit.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ajax4 (9) - USA - SEP 18, 2007 does not count
Small white head complements the copper body. Aroma of pine and grapefruit. Sweet malt backbone supports a barrage of hops that invoke not only bitterness, but also grapefruit and some floral spice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
campmonster (9) - USA - MAR 27, 2008 does not count
A great beer experience. Smooth and distinguished. Glorious bite and great finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
shevanel (9) - Arizona, USA - JUN 23, 2008 does not count
Amazing light amber color with an interesting aroma. Heavy in hops, malt, and alcohol scents. Definately too strong for my general taste. The creamy fizzy alcoholic flavor stays well after you are done. Definately one of the best IPAs out there, but it is not on my list of beers I want to repeatedly drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JonL (9) - Toodyay, AUSTRALIA - NOV 27, 2008 does not count
Had a bottle of this when in Vegas...holy hell! Initial impression of bottled hop flowers with a touch of malt at the back there somewhere - slightly overpowering at first, until your taste buds are bludgeoned into line! By the end of the bottle I was starting to enjoy it,and appreciate its nuances a bit more. We need more beer like this in Aus.