overall

RATINGS: 3509   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Radek Kliber (6519) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - AUG 19, 2002
Oakes me and Daboskabouter had this one on our little beer meeting last weekend. Bottle look neat with that stone gargoyle. So... It had light amber color, lively look. Some bubbles. Strong intense taste. Hop big time. It said 100 + IBU was said (I was not sure if there really was that much but what do I know?). I must agree with my fellow friends SPF all time. Nice stuff but I do wonder if it is really top 50 material ? By the way SPF means Spruce Pine Fir.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 20, 2002
Light golden appearance. Lumber is evident in the nose, something of a 2x12x16 piece of quality grade SPF lumber. Touches of malt also in the aroma along with some citrus. The body is really where the malt comes in handy, really hides the 100+ IBUís that this beer claims to contains. Donít get me wrong, this beer is big and hoppy, but the hops are balanced well by the malt. Interesting beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nuffield (3717) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JAN 9, 2004
Thick, golden color, head unsupportable from the thick slightly alcoholic body. Big citrus, grapefruit aroma, and some impressive maltiness identifiable. The first taste, when it was still a bit too cold (I think) was not as overwhelmingly bitter as I expected. You open the bottle and expect with a beer like this that some genie or mystical dragon is going to bite your tongue off. However, that first sip proved interesting, with a bitterness at the middle-back of the tongue. However, subsequent sips as it warmed proved sharp, with bitterness all over the mouth and lingering extremely long. I guess some people must like bitterness the way I like sour (gimme a gueuze!), and this is impressive at one level for the extent to which they gave this beer interesting qualities of flavor and prevented the bitterness from having a metallic quality or other glaring fault as is sometimes found in run-of-the-mill "big IPAs". However, at some level this also seemed to me a bit like the Cave Creek Chili beer--yes, it is possible to brew a beer that tastes like this, but why would you want to? I guess I just don't care that much for bitter hop explosions--bring it down while retaining all its other nice qualities and you would have a spectacular beer. Big thanks to Jazz88 for the bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jonas (5847) - Garching b. MŁnchen, GERMANY - OCT 30, 2004
Pine and grass aroma. Amber, big bubbles, low lacing head. Hop bitterness is the theme here (surprise!). Dry grassy, pineresin and slightly citric notes. I do not feel that the body is quite living up to the hops, a bit more stability here might be good - a bit more body, and the bottle I had was a tad fizzly as well. Wonderfull long pine bitterhop aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Lubiere (10455) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 13, 2004
Golden ale with no head. Light hops aroma Rather nice hops and malts, light citrus. Good bitterness but not ruinating. Good balance and body. (Sept. 2004)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ontario102 (794) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 19, 2004
pretty well balanced IPA; doesnít seem like a 100 IBU brew; solid bready toasty malting with a heavy citrus finish. A damn fine IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 30, 2002
Orangey-gold color with a thick head that lasts. The aroma is wonderful, the lovely hop-floral aroma thatís very inviting to a hop-head. The flavor is as biting as anticipated, with a hint of malt sweentess. Unfortunately, itís a bit more than even I could take. Itís flavorful in a knock-you-upside-the-head kind of way, but then it beats you senseless. Thereís something not quite pleasant about it. Thereís an over-ripe sweetness behind the hops and malt that I couldnít place. It was lovely with food, though, since it holds its own spectacularly. I also respect this beer, even if it wasnít my favorite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jaymobrown (1697) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2002
Hops, hops everywhere thereís hops. While clean and crisp, it basically comes across as a one-trick beer. Enjoyable for those who like extra-bitter brews, and very interesting to try. However, searching for anything behind the original hops flavor would prove useless. Strong and dry, puckers the lips.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeaverBrown (245) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 6, 2003
Golden color with a small white head. Smells hops and wet dog aroma. Taste sweet bitter carmel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
mushi (18) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - AUG 10, 2003
22 oz. Orange, pale color with a light head. I got a bit of a floral aroma under the hops. When they say this ruins your palete, they were right. Too much for my inexperience, I can't say I liked the finish. Other than that, a good beer. Hoppy and strong. The destruction of the palete is really all I didn't like.