overall

RATINGS: 3351   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jdb288 (342) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - NOV 5, 2013
Akin th the Palate Wrecker...just completely bitter. Too aggressive for me but worthwhile for you high IBU folk.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
culchiem (2298) - Berlin, GERMANY - DEC 14, 2013
Bottle. Deep golden orange with a thin head. Aroma is spruce hop. Flavor is bitter pine, sour hop with a long dry fruit finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hartung32 (196) - Indiana, USA - JAN 14, 2014
I love IPAs and Stone; but this is not one of my Stone favorites. I hadn't had this in a few years, but my recollection of it wasn't great. It's good, but very one-note. It's a good hoppy beer, but there are many better hop bombs. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
paintedmaple (330) - Fenton, Michigan, USA - FEB 15, 2014
On tap at Blackthorn Pub, Holly,MI..massively bitter (as advertised) and dry on the finish this IPA is wildly unbalanced and as a result is not something you’d want to have another of. However, I get it...this is what Stone was going for...so OK you have bragging rights for wicked bitterness, but it is a ’one and done’ beer and by done I mean for a long, long time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Crit (3245) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 14, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2003 Rerate :Deep gold with fluffy white head. Huge grapefruit hop nose.Flavor is grapefruit and the typical California style green hops which I don't care for. I much prefer the Northwest style IPA's. Long strong finish

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - APR 5, 2003
smelled like sour grapefruits, tatse was hoopy and unremarkable; nice lace bitter finish. For krisbierjaeger i would add "sort of drinkable: not very wonderful", thank God for the company of Spot.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
3fourths (7797) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - APR 20, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2010 proper rerate needed. stone doesn’t treat their water and they don’t know how to mash without leaving the malt extremely rough. also their yeast character is dirty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
ClarkVV (3856) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 2, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2006 2003 bottle. Aroma is hoppy. Not citrusy-hoppy. There is definitely some sugary malt smell in there, almost like molasses. Very poignant, though I was expecting a much more profound aroma. Beer is clear. Why is this filtered?? Booooo. Unimpressive appearance. Looks like any other IPA. Nice small white head. Good amber color. If you cant already tell, I was disappointed with this beer. I heard so much that hyped it up, but I will try not to be biased and not base my rating on expectations. Opens up with a fairly acidic hops flavor that is clear and bold. However, malt rushes in immediately. After my first few sips, I thought, too much malt?? Wow, I was surprised, I definitely applaud balancing out an IPA with good caramel malt, but this almost seemed like too much. It added a fuzzy texture and seemed to detract from the hops flavor. This reminded me of Sam Smiths IPA which was quite traditional and balanced. Unfortunately I feel the hops flavor here is not as clear. The hops succumbed and did not persist, distinctly, on the finish. I think the addition of so much alcohol prevented Stone from achieving what Samuel Smiths did, a soft balanced traditional ale. With only about 66% of the alcohol, Sam Smiths presents a much less acidic, hoppy treat. This certainly was drinkable though, good floral notes, surpringly lacking in citrus (relatively speaking), but had a lot of molasses/brown sugar appeal towards the middle of the body. The beer was also flat. Some more carbonation (perhaps derived from a bottle fermentation, hint hint), would have added some much needed zip. Will definitely try again and rerate. Would imagine this to gain a lot of points on tap, hopefully i can test that theory soon.
2004 bottle
Well either I was on drugs last time I had this, or a lot has changed. Bitter. Pure soily fresh hops on the nose. Flavor starts out hoppy, gets bitter and extremely fresh and hoppy. Neither citrus nor floral notes dominate, but the malt is there only in texture. It is lightly sweet on the finish. Just pure, brutal, let’s-see-how-hoppy-we-can-make-this beer. My score reflects the quality of the beer, not how much I like it.
2005 draught It’s nice to try this fresh on draught and damn is it bitter, but the quality is impressive, really good hops flavor, tons of thick malt. It burns on the end still, and makes me cringe. Can only finish a glass if I make a point to do so.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rastacouere (6107) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 5, 2004
Clear straw coloured, white 1cm head is actually larger than on the regular IPA, but is fully diminishing. Aroma surprises for it’s not nearly as intense as it’s made out to be. Straight hops hit the nostrils, earth like, citrus like and mostly fuelic. In mouth, flavors are intense, but hard to put words on. It’s very perfumey, somehow leathery, acid, fuelic. Generous alcohol vapours come through. Fine body helps the drinkability a lot with its adequate medium carbonation, but if not thin, it’s definitely not full. Miles away from a yulesmith or dreadnaught’s flexibility. Mostly pure hoppiness and I found nothing to mention about the malt although there’s a considerable bill felt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ghett0yeti (29) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - FEB 10, 2005
I hate to give a Stone brew such a low score, but this was like going to the brew shop, grabbing a handful of hop pellets and jamming them in your mouth. I mean, I love hops, but man, this stuff is out of control.