overall

RATINGS: 3353   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
ClarkVV (3863) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 2, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2006 2003 bottle. Aroma is hoppy. Not citrusy-hoppy. There is definitely some sugary malt smell in there, almost like molasses. Very poignant, though I was expecting a much more profound aroma. Beer is clear. Why is this filtered?? Booooo. Unimpressive appearance. Looks like any other IPA. Nice small white head. Good amber color. If you cant already tell, I was disappointed with this beer. I heard so much that hyped it up, but I will try not to be biased and not base my rating on expectations. Opens up with a fairly acidic hops flavor that is clear and bold. However, malt rushes in immediately. After my first few sips, I thought, too much malt?? Wow, I was surprised, I definitely applaud balancing out an IPA with good caramel malt, but this almost seemed like too much. It added a fuzzy texture and seemed to detract from the hops flavor. This reminded me of Sam Smiths IPA which was quite traditional and balanced. Unfortunately I feel the hops flavor here is not as clear. The hops succumbed and did not persist, distinctly, on the finish. I think the addition of so much alcohol prevented Stone from achieving what Samuel Smiths did, a soft balanced traditional ale. With only about 66% of the alcohol, Sam Smiths presents a much less acidic, hoppy treat. This certainly was drinkable though, good floral notes, surpringly lacking in citrus (relatively speaking), but had a lot of molasses/brown sugar appeal towards the middle of the body. The beer was also flat. Some more carbonation (perhaps derived from a bottle fermentation, hint hint), would have added some much needed zip. Will definitely try again and rerate. Would imagine this to gain a lot of points on tap, hopefully i can test that theory soon.
2004 bottle
Well either I was on drugs last time I had this, or a lot has changed. Bitter. Pure soily fresh hops on the nose. Flavor starts out hoppy, gets bitter and extremely fresh and hoppy. Neither citrus nor floral notes dominate, but the malt is there only in texture. It is lightly sweet on the finish. Just pure, brutal, letís-see-how-hoppy-we-can-make-this beer. My score reflects the quality of the beer, not how much I like it.
2005 draught Itís nice to try this fresh on draught and damn is it bitter, but the quality is impressive, really good hops flavor, tons of thick malt. It burns on the end still, and makes me cringe. Can only finish a glass if I make a point to do so.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JAN 13, 2004
Pretty boring looking beer: tawny orange. Head is pasty and diffuse. Aroma is like fresh hop pellets: I'd guess maybe cascade and chinook but I might be wrong. That's about it. I mean, it smells good, but it pretty much just smells like generic PNW hops. OK, let's see what we've got in the flavor: biting, acidic and astringent flavor getting only a slight nuttiness from the malts. Yes, it is quite bitter. Usually I can be verbose when describing the perceptions of beer that I experience, but there's just not much here. A sensory assault for sure, but very boring in an odd way. I like IIPAs too, but this one just ain't all that great, IMO.

duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - FEB 26, 2004
Heya... as expected super hoppy. Huge hit of lychee, pine and citric bitterness. Rich, warming and a little medicinal. A malt liqour style shot of alcohol right at the end aswell. Nice bitterness. Thanks be to Greg from Stone!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
mortimer (8) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 20, 2004 does not count
It pours a dark yellowish orange color with an off white head, which didnít last all that long. I could smell plenty of hops, but I also picked up some foresty pine scent as well. In my opinion the malt flavor was overpowered by all of the hops. It smelt and tasted sweet, but it had a strong and unpleasant aftertaste. It was extremely bitter, as expected, but to me, it didnít seem very balanced. It was over the top hops. It could be that I am just not a huge fan of this style of beer. One thing is for sure, this is one of my least favorite beers that Stone makes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Heatwaves (54) - Santa Ana, California, USA - AUG 4, 2005
Wonderfully different aroma of cut grasses and sour grapefruit. Nice head for an IPA. It is definitely very, very hoppy and very bitter. Even though it has such a high rating it definitely can be an acquired taste. Little bit of a sour aftertaste. Personally, I prefer Russian Riverís Pliny The Elder double IPA to this one. But if you love hops, this is like having an entire glass-ful!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SilkTork (5121) - Rochester, Kent, United Kingdom, Kent, ENGLAND - OCT 4, 2005
Bottle @ GBBF, 2005. Tastes like a reasonably strong and hoppy ale. Quite peppery. Itís a decent enough beer - but somehow a little quiet considering the tension between the hops and the malt. Difficult not to be disappointed.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
blkitson (158) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAR 11, 2006
Very strong smelling beer - rather cloudy looking but made a nice head. Not bad tasting but wouldnít buy it on my own

Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - MAY 18, 2006
I understand that this is a extremely popular beer, but it just doesnít work for me. I appreciate that Stone has always pushed the envelope, but I have always thought that Ruination is over the top. It is just too bitter for me. Donít get me wrong, I love all things hoppy, but this stuff is just too much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
molassesfan (202) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - OCT 14, 2006
Bomber from Chevy Chase. Pours amber with a white head. Aroma of...hops. Thatís about it. Taste is not as hop-driven as the aroma, and the 100+ IBUs feels more like 85. Malty and citrus taste in addition to the hops. 7.7% is barely visible. Weak effort for a Double IPA.

lagomswedish (213) - UmeŚ, SWEDEN - APR 7, 2007
Canít help but feel a little disappointed with this beer. Sure itís got hops. Trouble is itís got very little else. Looks bright and inviting, with a golden hue and lasting white head. Rather thin aroma of lychee and pine. The first sip, as the bottle so rightfully boasts, sandblasts the back of your throat with hops. Get past the initial shock and thereís very little else to extract from this beer. The alcohol is all I got - thin and tasteless, as though someone had slipped in a double vodka while I wasnít looking. I like hops and I love IPAs, but Stone kept adding hops to this one and somehow forget about the rest of the beer.