RATINGS: 3655   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 30, 2002
Orangey-gold color with a thick head that lasts. The aroma is wonderful, the lovely hop-floral aroma thatís very inviting to a hop-head. The flavor is as biting as anticipated, with a hint of malt sweentess. Unfortunately, itís a bit more than even I could take. Itís flavorful in a knock-you-upside-the-head kind of way, but then it beats you senseless. Thereís something not quite pleasant about it. Thereís an over-ripe sweetness behind the hops and malt that I couldnít place. It was lovely with food, though, since it holds its own spectacularly. I also respect this beer, even if it wasnít my favorite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jaymobrown (1768) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2002
Hops, hops everywhere thereís hops. While clean and crisp, it basically comes across as a one-trick beer. Enjoyable for those who like extra-bitter brews, and very interesting to try. However, searching for anything behind the original hops flavor would prove useless. Strong and dry, puckers the lips.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeaverBrown (245) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 6, 2003
Golden color with a small white head. Smells hops and wet dog aroma. Taste sweet bitter carmel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
mushi (18) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - AUG 10, 2003
22 oz. Orange, pale color with a light head. I got a bit of a floral aroma under the hops. When they say this ruins your palete, they were right. Too much for my inexperience, I can't say I liked the finish. Other than that, a good beer. Hoppy and strong. The destruction of the palete is really all I didn't like.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 30, 2004
Pours an orange opaque light colored nectar with no head. aroma is HOPS!!!!!, light fresh pomes, and dried pomes (apples, pears, apricots, peaches, etc.). alcohol too, like solvent alcohol, harsh. Flavor is HOPS!!!!!, Syrupy, canned peaches and pears and apricots. oh yeah and Alcohol, like solvent alcohol, harsh. MF is pretty good, maybe slightly heavy but it's suitable. Overall, I'm enjoying this because it's big on hops and alcohol, but it's not as complex as other I2PA's. It's heavy on hops and alcohol and therefore far and away better than the vast majority of brew and actually I don't feel this is Stone's best job of masking high alcohol levels at all. Not a favorite, but it's good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BearBrewer (86) - New York, east village, New York, USA - APR 11, 2004
SO, perhaps I am not worthy. I cant tell if I liked this one. Pours a dark yellow/orange color with a rocky white head. The aroma is HUGE of hops. The taste, initially sweet tapers off quickly to extreme bitterness. I am actually a fan of bitterness, but this exceeds even dogfish's 120 minute IPA. Finishing this monster was kind of like a -strong cigar. It took some work. Overall, mixed impressions, interesting to drink, but not something Id drink often

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DYCSoccer17 (3509) - Woodland, California, USA - MAY 3, 2004
Aroma is pine, bitter, and sour. Lots of christmas tree in this nose. Lighter than expected transparent copper with robust frothy white head. Start is sweet, getting really piney in the middle. Finishes very very bitter. Very smooth beer and easy to drink, though. Carbonation is turned down. Could use some more carbonation and the alcohol burn at the end is a little much for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
skaughty (652) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 16, 2004
"Liquid poem to the glory of the hop!" This isnít a poem - it is War and Peace of the hop. Anything ever resembling a hop is in here. It doesnít make the result as appealing as advertised. The ruinous effect on the palate is true.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - MAY 26, 2004
Golden amber color, thinner white head. Nice hoppy nose, citrusy and a little flowery. Massive hop assault in the flavor, no balance at all, bitter as hell. Destroyed my palate like advertised but I didnít want it to be. Their regular IPA is far superior.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - SEP 20, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2006 Pours bright golden orange with an ivory white head. I start smelling hops before I can get anywhere near the glass. No subtetly here, just a big slap upside the head with hops. Body is surprising thin considering the 7.7% ABV. Taste is overwhelmingly bitter and astringent. A bit like tea that has been boiled too long. Only hint of malt balance. Overall, an interesting experiment in how much hops can be crammed in a beer.