overall

RATINGS: 3454   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
mortimer (8) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 20, 2004 does not count
It pours a dark yellowish orange color with an off white head, which didnít last all that long. I could smell plenty of hops, but I also picked up some foresty pine scent as well. In my opinion the malt flavor was overpowered by all of the hops. It smelt and tasted sweet, but it had a strong and unpleasant aftertaste. It was extremely bitter, as expected, but to me, it didnít seem very balanced. It was over the top hops. It could be that I am just not a huge fan of this style of beer. One thing is for sure, this is one of my least favorite beers that Stone makes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Heatwaves (54) - Santa Ana, California, USA - AUG 4, 2005
Wonderfully different aroma of cut grasses and sour grapefruit. Nice head for an IPA. It is definitely very, very hoppy and very bitter. Even though it has such a high rating it definitely can be an acquired taste. Little bit of a sour aftertaste. Personally, I prefer Russian Riverís Pliny The Elder double IPA to this one. But if you love hops, this is like having an entire glass-ful!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SilkTork (5218) - Rochester, Kent, United Kingdom, Kent, ENGLAND - OCT 4, 2005
Bottle @ GBBF, 2005. Tastes like a reasonably strong and hoppy ale. Quite peppery. Itís a decent enough beer - but somehow a little quiet considering the tension between the hops and the malt. Difficult not to be disappointed.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
blkitson (158) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAR 11, 2006
Very strong smelling beer - rather cloudy looking but made a nice head. Not bad tasting but wouldnít buy it on my own

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - MAY 18, 2006
I understand that this is a extremely popular beer, but it just doesnít work for me. I appreciate that Stone has always pushed the envelope, but I have always thought that Ruination is over the top. It is just too bitter for me. Donít get me wrong, I love all things hoppy, but this stuff is just too much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
molassesfan (202) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - OCT 14, 2006
Bomber from Chevy Chase. Pours amber with a white head. Aroma of...hops. Thatís about it. Taste is not as hop-driven as the aroma, and the 100+ IBUs feels more like 85. Malty and citrus taste in addition to the hops. 7.7% is barely visible. Weak effort for a Double IPA.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
lagomswedish (213) - UmeŚ, SWEDEN - APR 7, 2007
Canít help but feel a little disappointed with this beer. Sure itís got hops. Trouble is itís got very little else. Looks bright and inviting, with a golden hue and lasting white head. Rather thin aroma of lychee and pine. The first sip, as the bottle so rightfully boasts, sandblasts the back of your throat with hops. Get past the initial shock and thereís very little else to extract from this beer. The alcohol is all I got - thin and tasteless, as though someone had slipped in a double vodka while I wasnít looking. I like hops and I love IPAs, but Stone kept adding hops to this one and somehow forget about the rest of the beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 19, 2007
Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy, <crys a hoppy tear> Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
shevanel (9) - Arizona, USA - JUN 23, 2008 does not count
Amazing light amber color with an interesting aroma. Heavy in hops, malt, and alcohol scents. Definately too strong for my general taste. The creamy fizzy alcoholic flavor stays well after you are done. Definately one of the best IPAs out there, but it is not on my list of beers I want to repeatedly drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cory (313) - , California, USA - SEP 28, 2008
Wow. Ruination is exactly right. Hints of citrus and pine but its hard to taste much past the hoppiness. Dry and fizzy accross the palate. Overall not my favorite Double IPA but still good.