Stone Ruination IPA

Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3712   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Radek Kliber (7165) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - AUG 19, 2002
Oakes me and Daboskabouter had this one on our little beer meeting last weekend. Bottle look neat with that stone gargoyle. So... It had light amber color, lively look. Some bubbles. Strong intense taste. Hop big time. It said 100 + IBU was said (I was not sure if there really was that much but what do I know?). I must agree with my fellow friends SPF all time. Nice stuff but I do wonder if it is really top 50 material ? By the way SPF means Spruce Pine Fir.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 20, 2002
Light golden appearance. Lumber is evident in the nose, something of a 2x12x16 piece of quality grade SPF lumber. Touches of malt also in the aroma along with some citrus. The body is really where the malt comes in handy, really hides the 100+ IBUís that this beer claims to contains. Donít get me wrong, this beer is big and hoppy, but the hops are balanced well by the malt. Interesting beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 30, 2002
Orangey-gold color with a thick head that lasts. The aroma is wonderful, the lovely hop-floral aroma thatís very inviting to a hop-head. The flavor is as biting as anticipated, with a hint of malt sweentess. Unfortunately, itís a bit more than even I could take. Itís flavorful in a knock-you-upside-the-head kind of way, but then it beats you senseless. Thereís something not quite pleasant about it. Thereís an over-ripe sweetness behind the hops and malt that I couldnít place. It was lovely with food, though, since it holds its own spectacularly. I also respect this beer, even if it wasnít my favorite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jaymobrown (1843) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2002
Hops, hops everywhere thereís hops. While clean and crisp, it basically comes across as a one-trick beer. Enjoyable for those who like extra-bitter brews, and very interesting to try. However, searching for anything behind the original hops flavor would prove useless. Strong and dry, puckers the lips.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeaverBrown (245) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 6, 2003
Golden color with a small white head. Smells hops and wet dog aroma. Taste sweet bitter carmel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
mushi (18) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - AUG 10, 2003
22 oz. Orange, pale color with a light head. I got a bit of a floral aroma under the hops. When they say this ruins your palete, they were right. Too much for my inexperience, I can't say I liked the finish. Other than that, a good beer. Hoppy and strong. The destruction of the palete is really all I didn't like.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 30, 2004
Pours an orange opaque light colored nectar with no head. aroma is HOPS!!!!!, light fresh pomes, and dried pomes (apples, pears, apricots, peaches, etc.). alcohol too, like solvent alcohol, harsh. Flavor is HOPS!!!!!, Syrupy, canned peaches and pears and apricots. oh yeah and Alcohol, like solvent alcohol, harsh. MF is pretty good, maybe slightly heavy but it's suitable. Overall, I'm enjoying this because it's big on hops and alcohol, but it's not as complex as other I2PA's. It's heavy on hops and alcohol and therefore far and away better than the vast majority of brew and actually I don't feel this is Stone's best job of masking high alcohol levels at all. Not a favorite, but it's good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BearBrewer (86) - New York, east village, New York, USA - APR 11, 2004
SO, perhaps I am not worthy. I cant tell if I liked this one. Pours a dark yellow/orange color with a rocky white head. The aroma is HUGE of hops. The taste, initially sweet tapers off quickly to extreme bitterness. I am actually a fan of bitterness, but this exceeds even dogfish's 120 minute IPA. Finishing this monster was kind of like a -strong cigar. It took some work. Overall, mixed impressions, interesting to drink, but not something Id drink often

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DYCSoccer17 (3639) - Woodland, California, USA - MAY 3, 2004
Aroma is pine, bitter, and sour. Lots of christmas tree in this nose. Lighter than expected transparent copper with robust frothy white head. Start is sweet, getting really piney in the middle. Finishes very very bitter. Very smooth beer and easy to drink, though. Carbonation is turned down. Could use some more carbonation and the alcohol burn at the end is a little much for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
skaughty (652) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 16, 2004
"Liquid poem to the glory of the hop!" This isnít a poem - it is War and Peace of the hop. Anything ever resembling a hop is in here. It doesnít make the result as appealing as advertised. The ruinous effect on the palate is true.