RATINGS: 1114   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 324   ABV: 10.8%
In June 2012, we celebrated the 10th birthday of our notoriously mega-hopped double IPA, Stone Ruination IPA, with the release of a very special version that was even bigger and, incredibly, even hoppier than the original. If Stone Ruination IPA is “A Liquid Poem to the Glory of the Hop,” then Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA was an amped-up heavy metal version of that ode delivered with the force of a sledgehammer. Luckily for us, our fans love loud and aggressive brews, specifically when copious amounts of humulus lupulus are involved. The original release of this beer was so instantly beloved by those who dared try it

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
popery (1742) - San Francisco, California, USA - APR 13, 2013
Always nice to see Stone flexing their brewing muscles a bit. They’re drop dead excellent brewers, but they sometimes get a bit bogged down by ideas with new beers. Zany beers can be great and have their place, but simple goals and skill tend to produce the best results. Perfectly transparent. The color reminds me of a bright maple stain or turn-signal amber. More bright than warm. The head is white with a very light amber tinge. It’s also rather small, certainly smaller than normal Ruination. That will be my first and last comparison because the beers are little alike. Even the appearance of Ruination 10 shows that this is a bigger, meatier DIPA. We’re in flavor country. I once read a review that gave the note "electric tangerines" to a Citra-heavy beer, possibly KRBC Citra, and that fits for this beer. It’s backed by more floral, pine resin and deeper grapefruit hop notes, but that tangy, bright citrus cuts through the noise. It’s got malt sugar and booze, as well, but that’s only necessary in this weight class. The taste is very similar. Sweet and bright to start with sugar and booze in the middle and a finish like sucking on a mouthful of grapefruit pith. Mouthfeel is thankfully clean. This could have turned into a sloppy, sticky mess, but Stone knocked it out of the park. I would love to see this beer brought back in seasonal-ish four packs, a la SN Hoptimum. So, cheers to Ruination’s 10th! It was one of the first good beers that I ever drank and one of the two (and definitely the better of that pair) that pulled me into the world of fancy beer. It will always have a place near and dear to my heart, and if it inspires future tasty beers like this, more’s the better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
greenh0rn (16) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - APR 8, 2013
Pours a cloudy orange/amber with somewhat frothy head. Definitely a bitter situation even with 10 or so months on it. Does mellow out as it warms. I can appreciate it because I know the intention was to be a killer hop bomb, just not sure that I like it THAT bitter. I did prefer it over Hoptimum and Palate Wrecker. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
M82 (427) - Kansas, USA - MAR 7, 2013
UPDATED: JUL 18, 2015 Extra large, resinous, and bitter-sweet with obvious alcohol. Extreme.

A clear golden honey body with a 2’’ bone white, tightly packed head leaving polka dots and short angular lines of lace all around
So dank it’s almost offensive, strong resin introduces rich bodacious tropical fruits with spicy hop and alcohol accents on a sweet mmh body leaving layers of bitter sweet tropical and piney residuals (preferred the body when cooler, turned pillowy and overly biting as it warmed)

RuinTen 22oz bottled bottled 6/13/15 consumed 7/18/15 at 45º into 20.5 oz Stölzle Grandezza Brandy snifter
RuinTen 22oz bottle best by 8/28/13 on 7/5/13 at 45º into TeKu
Ruination 10th 22oz consumed 7/23/12 (day of Missouri release) at 45º into Libbey Craft Beer glass

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mittenator (1609) - Michigan, USA - FEB 21, 2013
Bomber at crunchy's. I made the mistake of thinking my friends would help me finish this. Huge flavors and aromas. I was in rough shape by the end.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
zach8270 (3961) - Henrietta, New York, USA - FEB 4, 2013
(bottle - 22 oz - Night of the Titans 2013) Cloudy gold pour with a puffy white head. Monster citrus and hop aroma. Tons of floral and juicy citrus notes really pop. Flavor is a really nice combination of that sweet citrus and pine resin mixed with a dry and bitter grassy hop finish. Bottle looked great and the beer tasted better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mnmike (1074) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 12, 2013
Love the artwork on this bottle. Great twist on ramping up the alcohol content from the regular brew, but I’ll take that one instead normally.

SilentGlory (8) - - JAN 12, 2013 does not count
Best Ruination ever brewed by Stone! 5lbs hops per barrel AND double dry-hopped with two different hop varieties at 1lb per barrel each.. Beautiful brew! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Plovmand (7185) - Helsinge, DENMARK - DEC 20, 2012
Bottle. A huge thanks goes out to RamyG4 for shipping this amazing stuff to me. Cheers man! The beer pours hazy deep golden with a creamy off white head. The aroma is loaded with sweet fruity hops, malt, citrus, peaches and pine. The flavour is huge sweet malty and fruity with a biscuit like feel. Long hoppy finish. Great stuff! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 27, 2012
In short: A very sweet fruity IPA. Clean and very drinkable but no match for the original.
How: Bottle 22oz. Consumed relatively fresh, a little more than one month after first bottle rating.
The look: Clear golden body topped by a medium beige head with good retention.
In long: Nose is citrusy and slightly piney hops with some alcohol adding notes of fusel. Far from the intensity I was expecting I found the aroma to be rather subdued for such an Monster IPA that is supposed to be Ruination on steroids. Taste is very sweet, lots of toasted caramelized cereals of course but also a lot of residual sugars, the beer feels sugary. Toasted bread, sweet mangos, apricots, light piney notes. Barely enough bitterness to balance out the very sweet maltiness. Far from a bitterness bomb I thought the fruity bitterness was relatively smooth and with a clean short finish. Compared to the regular Ruination, this is like twice the sugars and twice the alcohol but not twice the hopping. Not a bad beer at all but I was nonetheless a bit disappointed, regular Ruination for me any day of the week. I was hoping for more from this “Imperial Ruination”, especially since I assume Stone has a long experience at brewing the regular Ruination, although there is no way for me to know exactly how many years Stone has been brewing the Ruination IPA.

arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 22, 2012
22oz bottle $7.99 Bright orange color, looks a lot like regular Ruination, sudsy head. Smells like so much hops, dank, notes of pine and pine-sol. Extremely bitter flavor followed up by a bit of citrus and the a huge bitter finish. I am not surprised that I liked this so much because Stone knows how to rock hoppy beers. I may need to buy one more bottle before this stuff is gone, that is if I find it. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 07-03-2012 03:05:05