overall

RATINGS: 883   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 324   ABV: 10.8%
RUINING PALATES SINCE 2002
In June 2012, we celebrated the 10th birthday of our notoriously mega-hopped double IPA, Stone Ruination IPA, with the release of a very special version that was even bigger and, incredibly, even hoppier than the original. If Stone Ruination IPA is ďA Liquid Poem to the Glory of the Hop,Ē then Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA was an amped-up heavy metal version of that ode delivered with the force of a sledgehammer. Luckily for us, our fans love loud and aggressive brews, specifically when copious amounts of humulus lupulus are involved. The original release of this beer was so instantly beloved by those who dared try it

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bhensonb (10814) - Woodland, California, USA - JUN 22, 2012
Bomber from Beverages 4 Less in Santee, CA. Fred is unquestionably a great beer entrepreneur. Pours light amber with a 3 finger foamy/frothy off-white head. Aroma is hop. Sort of light cat pee mixed with resin over warm caramel. Who needs Mary Jane when you can just inhale this into your inner being. It has me imagining chinese food! Full bodied with frothy carb. Flavor is oh so resin. Also floral, and I think even a little citrus. Heat? Maybe. The hop burn is so strong itís hard to find the heat. Finish is super hoppy. Nuff said. Except: Brilliant effing ale!!!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rader58 (775) - Leawood, Kansas, USA - JUN 22, 2012
22 oz bottle. Pours a clear bright copper color. Aroma of pineapple, mango, spruce, peach, a Grateful Dead show minus the pachouli. Flavor is pineapple, alcohol, grass, resin. Finish is dry and bitter. WOW! This one does a number on the taste buds. You definitely wonít be able to taste anything after one of these.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
17thfloor (2429) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 22, 2012
I really enjoy this. Peachy, mango, soft, piney, bit sticky, light booze. I havenít had a nice fresh Ruination in a while and the 10th is hitting the spot nicely.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrSilverworm (6035) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 22, 2012
UPDATED: JUL 8, 2012 22oz bottle. I had high expectations for this to begin with, but as others have said, this surpassed it... I ended up completely geeking out, and writing 3 pages of notes in my moleskine. Classic glowing clear amber / orange color that Ruination always has. Thin off-white head, fading a bit, leaving faint webbing on the surface, and good rows and bits of lace. Crisp, very light carbonation, dry texture. Awesome big resiny hop aroma. Grapefruit, citrus, tropical fruits, big pine... Mango, and bubblegum in the aftertaste. Very tasty and complex (truly a liquid poem to the glory of the hop). Big bitter taste, but it?s merely a by-product of the huge hops, which are the main event here, it doesn?t overpower them. The 10.8% alcohol is unbelievable. There?s just a bit of warmth, but it isn?t intrusive at all, works well with the hops, actually. Each sip has a long, delicious aftertaste, that?s bitter, but even more so, incredibly hoppy. Such awesome tropical aromas - pineapple, bit of peach. Every sip leaves a fresh landscape of lace even a half-hour into the second pour, impressive for an 11% ABV brew. Going into this, I knew I was probably going to end up raving about this, because Stone Ruination is probably my all-time favorite brew. I expected this to top it, but being aware of that expectation, I really wanted to avoid over-inflating my score. WIth every sip, I tried to be as critical as I could, making sure every point was earned... But I?m really having a hard time detecting flaws, and I don?t know what this could improve on. Even this bitterness is deliciously tasty in it?s own way. It?s got a hint of sweetness to it, maybe a little verbena zest -- reminds me of that taste that makes me love Jackie-Os session ales so much. This is an incredible brew. The only thing stopping me from giving out 10s is the fact that there are a hundred thousand brews out there that I?ve never tried before... How could I know what a perfect 10 is? It?s a weird source of anxiety for me. But based off of what I?ve personally tried, I feel pretty good about saying that this is the best -- it?s definitely not for everyone, but it?s pretty much exactly what my dream brew is made of. Well-done, Stone. 9 / 5 / 9 / 5 / 19

Re-rate 7/8/12: Another 22oz bottle, shared with two friends. Lowered taste and overall a point each. A little heat. But itís a hoppy heat. Still a phenomenal beer. Robby called it "Damn Good".

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
HonkeyBra (3286) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - JUN 21, 2012
22 oz. bomber. Deep, clear amber pour with thick white head. 10 years of ruination, huh? For me, I had my first ruination almost exactly 4 years ago. I was with the Dude. We had just escaped a particularly scary part of Utah and found a small ski town with a beer store. I had told The Dude about these "Stone beers" we had to try. I got Ruination. He got Arrogant Bastard. I remember scoffing at the price when the shop keeper told me about how good Oak Arrogant Bastard kept in the cellar. Aroma of this beer is strong, hoppy. I can smell it as it sits on the table. When I stick my nose in there I get a bunch of hop bitterness. Itís kind of a logjam of the tropical fruit aroma from the citra and strong pine/resin bitterness. We drank both beers in a tent somewhere in California. We though they were the truth then. This beer, itís big, bitter with lots of apparent alcohol. Itís basically hoppy and burny. I bet this beer would have impressed me when I was 23. But now? Itís ok. Thick syrupy body. Nondescript bitterness in the finish. I just kind of feel full and weird but that might be partly because I just watched the Heat and LeBron win the NBA Championship.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ryecatcher (744) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 21, 2012
Bomber. Pours a really nice deep amber, medium head with good retention and decent lacing. A bit sweeter than its cousins, Ruination and the Stone IPA, and a bit warmer too (the 10%+ is noticeable). Mouth is mainly tropical fruit and malt, with a surprisingly mild finish. Medium bodied. Considering who made it, Iím going to call this average overall . Although, while not my favorite Stone brew, it certainly it didnít go to waste either.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
crossovert (7020) - Illinois, USA - JUN 21, 2012
650ml bomber. It pours a brilliant and clear orange/copper with a big foamy white head. Nice lacing. Smell is nice. Big maltiness but also big hoppiness. It is just a classic west oast ipa scent, Big fruitiness, juiciness that blends with the sugary malt. There is a slight off-scent that i canít put my finger on though. The flavor is huge. It starts out sweet and juicy. Lots of citrus and a bit of tropical. It finished with a nice lingering bitterness with some pine and citrus rind. This is a beer that is a bit shocking at first but as you move a long it is nice. Very acidic and biting, a bit of unhidden alcohol, but a nice one.

phaleslu (6295) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 21, 2012
22 oz. bomber shared by rebelmusic- thanks a lot, Chris! He got this the day before we tried it at Wolfbrau in St. Peters. Pours a nice color, a clear orange-amber with a small eggshell colored head. I know this term is frowned upon as a descriptor of aroma, but damn, this dank. Like pure hop pellets, very weedesque. Grass, herbs, caramel, and sweaty oils. The flavor has notes of oily, herbal hops, lots of caramel malts, resin, citrus, and grass. Medium-bodied, with a sweet, resinous, oily mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. I enjoyed this one a lot; much better than regular Ruination. Drink super fresh.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BucannonXC5 (802) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 20, 2012
Received a bomber as a gift from a friend. Poured from a 22-oz. bomber into a pint glass. Two fingers of head. Color was caramel, maybe caramel amber. White, cloudy, frothy lacing that had good retention throughout the pour. Good balance on the nose. Initially got citrus hops, which was a mix of lemon and grapefruit. Also some sweet sugary floral notes. Finally ended with a bitter, spicy ending. Seems like even some pepper in there. Could definitely taste the alcohol, nothing hidden about that. Initially got that sharp bite of alcohol, which gave way to a long, alcohol finish. Reminded me a bit of bug spray or cologne, but in a drinkable way. After all that alcohol got away, next came the citrus hops. Definitely more grapefruit than anything else. Medium body. Creamy, slick texture. Average carbonation. Long, bitter finish. Definitely smooth and long lasting though. Just a really good beer. Got that, ďOh, wow, Iím feeling itĒ after just a few sips. I heard they went fast, but Iím going to buy a couple if I come across them.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
vyvvy (3904) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - JUN 20, 2012
Pours hazy orange with a small off-white head. The aroma is has lots of tropical aspects, dankness, sweet maltiness and smooth citrus. Medium / full body with fairly soft carbonation. Taste starts with lots of sweet malt, hoppy bitterness (pine / earth / citrus / tropical fruit / spice), caramel and some alcohol. The finish has lots of fusel alcohol, earthiness of hops and sweet malt. I think I would have really liked this if the alcohol would have been dialed down a bit. The alcohol burn takes away from the other flavors and my enjoyment. Oh well, Stone makes a lot I like, not all can be made to my tastes.