overall

RATINGS: 2355   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
motelpogo (7258) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - NOV 5, 2004
bottled. easily the best stone beer iíve tried. mild smokiness in the aroma with some cocoa powder and soccerball ham. nice shade of black, quite thick but soft on the tongue. a bit of a surprise that the finish is quite restrained, semi-dry with some faint vanilla sweetness. nice to have a stone beer with some subtlety

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
johnyvt (158) - West Hollywood, California, USA - NOV 3, 2004
UPDATED: APR 19, 2005 Tap RE-RATE: Very sweet out of the tap and it gets better as it warms. The complexity starts to show in the beer, sweetness starts to share with coffee, chocolate, and smoke. 22oz bomber. A porter more characterized by coffee and chocolate taste than smoke. Medium-bodied, bubbly feel on the tongue that finishes with more hops than expected.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
badgerben (4633) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - OCT 31, 2004
Thanks to sdbruboy for this! Black color with a thick head. Kind of a smoked coffee taste instead of a smoked malt. Bitter coffee and chocolate taste. This really seems like a porter with a bit of smoke, rather than a smoke that tries to be a porter. Wonderful.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
piscator34 (2152) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - OCT 31, 2004
A difficult beer for me to rate. If I were to rate it just by its porter characteristics (creamy body, subtle roastiness, beautiful coffee, chocolate, hops interplay) it would be over a 4. However, the smoke quality, as subtle as it is, really spoiled it for me. I like smoked beers, and can appreciate using it as an "element" rather than the dominating factor, but the smoke in this beer tasted more like ash. This is still a GOOD beer and itís very close to GREAT, but that final failing it very frustrating indeed!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - OCT 29, 2004
Pours an almost black beer with a thick and foamy light tan head. Mild but nice aroma, roasted and smokey with fruity tones. Also mild in the flavor but easy and smooth. Roasted malt, fruit, citrus and weak smokey tones. Not an outstanding porter but one I could drink again and again. Thanks Greg and Chris from Stone!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PWalk (337) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2004
My first "smoked" beer I had it on Tap at the Grey Lodge in Philly. I enjoyed it alot as it had a definitive hop kick at the end that was not expected.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - OCT 27, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 7, 2007 Black Coloring. Dark Tan Head. Smokey Aroma...my my my Susie! Heavy Smoked Flavor..Some Coffee and Chocolate.....the Smoke which I donít Find That Appealing in my Beer...Seems to Dominate..so While I Can Respect that This is a Really Good Beer....íSheís Not My Type." "No Really...itís not you.......itís me....." Aug 2007 Rerate: Dark Brown Color with Sandy Ring. Dark Malts and Subtle Smoke Flavor on the Nose. Carbonated..Dark Malts Flavor..Smoke Notes are Well Balanced Yet Still Present Throughout..Bittersweet Dry Aftertaste. Very Nice Smoked Brew.

Crockett (1032) - Southampton,Ontario, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 19, 2004
Pours almost black with a firm, brown small beaded head. Aroma is very roasty. Stone hops, milk chocolate and just a whiff of smoke. Nicely balanced. Considerably bitter. Silkier as it warms. Coffee, molases, brown sugar. Suggestions of madiera. A bit of pepper, and notes of anice. Leather and earthy and saline in the finish. Fantastic stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
785pro (10) - California, USA - OCT 17, 2004
While Double Bastard is by far my favorie ale, Smoked is one of my all time favorite beers. I love the hints coffe and chocolate. I bought 6 bottles of this and had some freinds over for a LAN party. We went back to get 6 more.....strange, but we nver actually got the LAN party roling, we just sat around enjoying the smokie taste. Decided to BBQ and watch TV instead.

jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - OCT 16, 2004
On tap at Beer on the Pier in NYC. One of the best offerings at the festival. Dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma is roasted chocolate malt, espresso and a hint of smokiness. Slightly sweet malt flavor on first sip, quickly dries and leaves you wanting more. I was afraid it would be overly smoky in aroma and flavor but was pleasantly surprised. Just the smallest smoked malt flavor helps make this a great porter.