RATINGS: 2381   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - OCT 29, 2004
Pours an almost black beer with a thick and foamy light tan head. Mild but nice aroma, roasted and smokey with fruity tones. Also mild in the flavor but easy and smooth. Roasted malt, fruit, citrus and weak smokey tones. Not an outstanding porter but one I could drink again and again. Thanks Greg and Chris from Stone!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PWalk (337) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2004
My first "smoked" beer I had it on Tap at the Grey Lodge in Philly. I enjoyed it alot as it had a definitive hop kick at the end that was not expected.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - OCT 27, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 7, 2007 Black Coloring. Dark Tan Head. Smokey Aroma...my my my Susie! Heavy Smoked Flavor..Some Coffee and Chocolate.....the Smoke which I donít Find That Appealing in my Beer...Seems to Dominate..so While I Can Respect that This is a Really Good Beer....íSheís Not My Type." "No Really...itís not you.......itís me....." Aug 2007 Rerate: Dark Brown Color with Sandy Ring. Dark Malts and Subtle Smoke Flavor on the Nose. Carbonated..Dark Malts Flavor..Smoke Notes are Well Balanced Yet Still Present Throughout..Bittersweet Dry Aftertaste. Very Nice Smoked Brew.

Crockett (1039) - Southampton,Ontario, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 19, 2004
Pours almost black with a firm, brown small beaded head. Aroma is very roasty. Stone hops, milk chocolate and just a whiff of smoke. Nicely balanced. Considerably bitter. Silkier as it warms. Coffee, molases, brown sugar. Suggestions of madiera. A bit of pepper, and notes of anice. Leather and earthy and saline in the finish. Fantastic stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
785pro (10) - California, USA - OCT 17, 2004
While Double Bastard is by far my favorie ale, Smoked is one of my all time favorite beers. I love the hints coffe and chocolate. I bought 6 bottles of this and had some freinds over for a LAN party. We went back to get 6 more.....strange, but we nver actually got the LAN party roling, we just sat around enjoying the smokie taste. Decided to BBQ and watch TV instead.

jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - OCT 16, 2004
On tap at Beer on the Pier in NYC. One of the best offerings at the festival. Dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma is roasted chocolate malt, espresso and a hint of smokiness. Slightly sweet malt flavor on first sip, quickly dries and leaves you wanting more. I was afraid it would be overly smoky in aroma and flavor but was pleasantly surprised. Just the smallest smoked malt flavor helps make this a great porter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Pailhead (6017) - Plymouth, Michigan, USA - OCT 12, 2004
Bottle: Aroma is chocolate, cream, coffee, and hops. Pours a dark reddish-brown, very slight transparency, with a nice white head with fair retention. Nice lacing. Malty in the beginning with chocolate and cream, with a moderate hop coffee finsh. Only slight smoke flavor in the finish and aftertaste. Aftertaste is mostly moderate coffee and hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
skaughty (652) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - OCT 8, 2004
The aroma hit was a strong indication of what was to come...liquid vinous ovaltine. She looked and smelled fantastic, but the smoked element in the flavor was really off-putting, like burnt popcorn. Finish was medium length, with some soy and a kick of the usual Stone hop bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - OCT 2, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2004 Smells chocolatey and sweet with hints of smoke and coffee. Deep brown color with a decent tan head. Tastes sweet and rich with flavors of burnt cocoa. Finishes slightly bitter with a kiss of hops. Not smokey enough for the style in my opinion.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
iam (369) - Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 1, 2004
Almost opaque. Dark maroon in colour. Great chocolate and roasted malt aromas. Nice chocolate malt taste with some coffee and a good hop bitterness.