overall

RATINGS: 2261   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - DEC 16, 2003
A nice opaque color with hints of smoke and chocolate. However, there has always been some kind of conflict in the aftertaste on this beer. Its too funky and subtle. A very nice smoked porter, but average at best for the style. The 6th Anniversary blows this away. Not heavy enough.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - DEC 16, 2003
22 oz. brown bomber bottle. No freshness date seen. Purchased from Norm's in Vienna, Va. for $5.99 each. Poured out about as you'd expect. Rich dark chocolate brown, with red highlights. It has a huge tan head at first, and it slowly faded back to a thick, chewy lacing on top of the beer. Aromas are of sweet molasses, chewy caramel malts, dark roast coffee, and slight smokiness in the background. Tastes are of french roasted coffee, sweet molasses, burnt malts, and smoky oak barrels. Dry & slightly astringent on the tongue. Medium mouthfeel, slightly chewy, but not overly so. Very strong smoke taste in the aftertaste. Slight hops bitterness make a brief appearance, only to vanish in thin air & become overwhelmed by the smokiness of the beer. A decent effort from Stone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beeriodic (61) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - DEC 13, 2003
Nice creamy tan head. Almost opaque brown, but has these cool red highlights when held up to a light bulb. Faint smoke aroma, with chocolate and malt notes. There is a malt (patent/ roasted) astringency, coupled with some hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is very rich and creamy... chewable stuff. The aftertaste has a few smoke notes, but is still dominated by the dark malts and hops. Not a real rauchbier in my book, but a damn fine porter. I nuked the last part of this beer (oh, the heresy), and it brought out much more of the malt aromas, bready, and maybe some yeast notes. Flavor is much more complex warmed up to about room temp. Heck, maybe I'll turn it into coffee temp. next. Yummy!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2003
It was nice that the smoke wasn't overpowering, but otherwise a so/so porter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SirTom (88) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 6, 2003
Good - but not as extreme as I'm used to stone's brews being. I was hoping for a bit more punch. Do they do a version of the imperial porter?

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
djrevnoir (26) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 4, 2003
The nose was absolutely smokeless, but nonetheless smelled wonderful, as any good porter does. Distinct bitterness in the flavour. It was very creamy as I started drinking it, but became less so as time passed. Very good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rudolf (2340) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 3, 2003
I don't detect any smoke in the nose. Smells like a regular old porter to me. Cherry is what I notice the most. Held up to a light a little bit of red shines through. It tastes far less smokey than I expected. It is a little sour, and bitter - more like a stout than a porter. I can't put my finger on what it tastes like, but I like it! It is really creamy, almost like an oatmeal stout. Truly a great beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Reid (1860) - Salem,Oregon, Oregon, USA - NOV 30, 2003
Smoked porter? mmm sounds not very tasty..but lets see. Well as with all Stone brews I have had so far this beer looks absolutlly great..deep mahogany brown beer..with some garnet accents when held to the light and on top a huge frothy tan head..great stuff. Wow the aroma of this beer blew my mind..this is great stuff..roasted deep dark chocolate malts mixed with some great black coffee..and with a luxurious smokey smell below. The taste is just as I described the aroma except I get that wondeful Stone creamieness..fantastic stuff. Wonderful and smooth on the palate..with some great aftertatse. A most drinkable porter indeed..I did not think I would like this "smoked" beer..but its just great. I dunno whats happening to me but im becoming a Stone freak..god help me!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
VAYankee (327) - Virginia, USA - NOV 28, 2003
Black colored body with a light brown head. Smells of roasted malt with a bit of bittersweet chocolate. Full malt flavor accompanied by a mild smokiness and chocolate. The aftertaste is of dry roasted malt (and a continuing touch of smokiness).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
haddon90 (1440) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 25, 2003
Deep black pour with a frothy tan head. Nice complex aroma of molasses and chocolate. Deep flavor full of chocolate...hint of smokiness as well. Some roasted malt maybe? A damn good Smoked Porter if you ask me.