overall

RATINGS: 2260   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sam10 (37) - Olympia, Washington, USA - MAR 9, 2006
Delicious tasting beer nice dark color with tan head. Smell of chocolate and coffee with a bit of smokiness. Tastes great a smoky chocolat and coffee flavor. I love this beer, I love this brewery they make some really great tastimg beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
orangenblu62 (37) - Illinois, USA - APR 2, 2014
Very smooth. Dark pour, thick head. Reminds me of Guinness. Tasty with only a hint of smokey roasted taste. Good beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
CWoodsKilla (36) - Columbia, Missouri, USA - FEB 3, 2013
Smells like a campfire. Really nice dark beer with smokey BBQ-like flavors mixed with chocolate and coffee. It immediately feels like it's going to be harsh going down, but it's actually really smooth and has a great smokey finish. One of my favorites

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TonyBanannas (36) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 4, 2006
Bottle thanks to a friend of mine. Poured a jet dark black with a thin, bubbly, off white head. I liked the aroma of this one, almost charred. Like burnt mixed with sweet chocolate malts, carmel and coffee. Taste is even better, with heavy smoke. I havent had to many smoked beers, but I’m lovin this. It’s going great with my BBQ chicken, for the 4th of July I dont think I’d want any other beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
westknife (36) - USA - MAY 30, 2008
whate4ver, i don’t really like porters, or at least i’ve never had one that i really liked. this was ok i guess. w/evz

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beelsebob (35) - Cupertino, California, USA - OCT 13, 2013
Burnt coffee, and toast smells. Woody hops, little bit of smokiness. Fairly light aroma. Pours a very nice dark brown with red tinges. Tan head with minor lacing. Very bitter on the tongue, with a little bit of caramelly sweetness. Clean on the palette, doesn’t leave any nasty residues or feelings. Leaves your mouth feeling refreshed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thebos (35) - Eatonton, Georgia, USA - JAN 3, 2014
Beautiful deep brown/red in color. Has a light head is tan, dissipates quickly leaving only small ring. Smokey, slightly bitter aroma. Very robust smokey taste. The dark chocolate/coffee malt is initial taste followed by a wonderfully balanced bitter, hoppy finish. Excellent porter.

IrishRed1983 (33) - USA - JUL 12, 2005
Dark and rich in appearance. Initial smokey flavor although no smokey after taste. I hoped the beer had more of a coffee overtone but alas it didn’t.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ocdrinker909 (33) - USA - APR 11, 2010
16oz glass at Stone brewery,Color is an almost black dark brown with a tan head.The aroma is a rosted coffee and chocolate.Flavor is dark chocolate, rosted coffee, a little smokyness with a hop bite.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
EValP (30) - Colorado, USA - NOV 10, 2006
Great looking porter poured from a 22oz bomber. Large frothy head of light brown and lasts most the pint. Dark black/brown appearance with a slight red hue when held to the light. The aroma of this beer is what struck me. Heavy malt and molasses/roasted chocolate and virtually no hop aroma but did detect a bit of bread/dough. Smokey smell was light, I expected it heavier and it would have been invited.

Unfortunately, this smoked porter did not live up to the aroma for me. Albeit a great beer, it had a lightly sweet initial flavor but I was struck immediately with fair bitter taste with a hint of smoke. Exceptional medium to full body with a pleasant carbonation and dry yet creamy texture. As I drank I felt it finished even more bitter and it lasted quite some time on my palate. Would surly drink again but not something I will stock in my beer fridge. A little acidic/bitter for my taste, would go great with a hearty meal.