overall

RATINGS: 2292   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
djrevnoir (26) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 4, 2003
The nose was absolutely smokeless, but nonetheless smelled wonderful, as any good porter does. Distinct bitterness in the flavour. It was very creamy as I started drinking it, but became less so as time passed. Very good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sidekick (26) - Indiana, USA - APR 28, 2004
The smoked malt is the predominant flavor of this beer, although the normal coffee and chocolate flavors of a good porter come out as well. Amongst the 10 best Porters in the world!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mmbt7 (26) - Moorhead, Minnesota, USA - APR 13, 2009
Amazing balance in this fantastic beer. Rich and sweet with a smoky, earthy, almost moleasses feel.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
FuryHUH (26) - West Virginia, USA - NOV 1, 2010
This a porter only Stone could make. Just like everything else they make, this beer is downright ballsy. Pours thick and black with a nice foamy head. The scent is heady and smokey and absolutely intoxicating (no pun intended). It tastes much like it smells, the flavor rich and biting. The smokiness is very present, and adds a unique experience to the familiar style. As usual, Stone pulls no punches, thought I wish this beer wasn’t so hard on the palette. They really make sure that if you’re going to drink one of their beers, you’re going to stick with it by god. Personally, I’m fine with that.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Beerman125 (26) - , New York, USA - NOV 14, 2010
Having previously sampled other Stone offerings (and raving about them), I was a little biased when I ordered this draft at a local restaurant. Stone is known for ’in your face’ beers with powerful aromas and distinctive tastes. I must admit, this smoked porter was too subdued for my liking. While I enjoyed aspects of this beer, I hold Stone to a higher standard, because I know they’re capable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
starflyer58 (26) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - SEP 9, 2007
Another great, great beer from my Vegas trip... purchased at Lee’s, I couldn’t decide which Stone to try... but I picked a winner! dark dark devil color, beautiful aroma’s of slight smoke and coffee and chocolate, taste was chocolate/slight smoke/caramelish....

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
alandudeman (25) - Massachusetts, USA - NOV 17, 2007
22oz bottle courtesy of Russells in Amherst, MA. Following Stones advice I prepared a pb&j and cracked my bomber open. I ended up enjoying the sandwich more... I’m a big fan of Stone but this was just awful. SSP had a rusted metal, olive scent. Taste was of smoked rotten olives and beef. There wasn’t an ounce of chocolate, vanilla or anything enjoyable in there. Mouth feel was okay but rather thin. When I started on the sandwich it brought out the alcohol flavor and made things worse. Maybe this bottle was bad? Maybe I haven’t developed a taste for smoked brews? Either way, this is one of the few bombers I’ve had to give away, and even then, it went unfinished.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ramstein2611 (25) - Florida, USA - MAR 31, 2013
Pours a nice dark amber with a tan creamy head has a nice smokey background. One of my fav porters ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
flowerysong (25) - USA - JUL 24, 2007
Appearance: Deep, slightly reddish dark brown. Tan head with slight retention. Smell: Estery malt nose with a hint of hops. Taste: Roasted malt with chocolate notes, a wonderful smoky background, and medium-light hops. Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and rich with medium carbonation. Drinkability: Very nice. The smoke is well integrated with the base style, and the base is no slouch either. My only issue is that the smoke is a bit too light; I would have liked to see a bit more of it in the nose.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cyrio (25) - USA - AUG 4, 2007
Stone Smoked Porter was a very solid beer. Very smooth and easy to drink. It is definitely worth a try and should have one ready in your refrigerator.