overall

RATINGS: 2255   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheBeerGod (5165) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - MAR 23, 2003
Pours a rich brown with a brown, creamy head. The first scent is of hops and a smokiness. Then slowly the coffee-ish notes seep in. The taste has some hop bitterness to go along with the cocoa and coffee combo but the smoke taste is not a strong as the Aecht Scherlenka brand. That was a little overwhelming whereas this was more tolerable. Good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DanielBrown (3697) - Birmingham (via Leicester), West Midlands, ENGLAND - MAY 12, 2004
On tap at Lucky Baldwins, Pasadena. Looks like a Mild, with a fast disappearing head, and geological lacing. Very smooth and flat mouthfeel; smells stouty and oaty. Sweet, especially to begin, giving way to a musky smokiness and a mildly hopped finish, which is medium length and engaging. A tasty Porter, but I still prefer mine unsmoked.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 20, 2005
The nose and and initial flavour of this beer almost ruined it. My first scent of this was of smoked fish left in the sun - not a good start. However, I persisted with it, despite the rather nasty scent. It improved as it came up to room temperature, increasing in stature, taste, and depth. The smoked flavour actually tapered off, a good thing in my book. It became quite chocolatety and had a nice bitterness. Pretty good, but I nearly poured it for the smell alone.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
thoreaubred (42) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 19, 2005
This one is a little too bitter for me and otherwise low on flavor. The body is also a little thin and fleeting. This beer just generally doesnít stand out or impress me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
xsketchyx (184) - Oregon, USA - OCT 5, 2003
I guess I'm just not a fan of smoked beers. Nice, thick porter. I do like the coffee taste, I just can't get past the smoke. Not my thing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Dark brown, with a little tan head. Aroma is sweet, a bit metallic, with some roasty malts. Slight chocolate malt flavor, and not nearly smokey enough for my taste. Highly effervescent, with a thin mouthfeel, this was an underwhelming offering by Stone standards.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 7, 2004
Well aged bottle. Dark brown color with an out of control head. Slightly smoky scent and taste, with a dark chocolate taste being dominant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Britales (56) - Cape Charles, Virginia, USA - JUN 2, 2005
I am one of the minority I guess! I am not getting smoked, ( very very faint)! I am tasting the usual American interpretation of the Porter style which is much too sweet!! Color is great , head is fine but it is about as subtle as a crutch!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
1FastSTi (3333) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 29, 2005
Bottle from my Secret Santa. I had planned on sharing this one, but nearly everyone I know has already had this one. So, I popped the cap on this bomber and poured it into my glass. The aroma has lots of chocolate and a light peat. Unfortunately, by lots, itís still pretty weak and is disappointing. The appearance is an extremely dark red (you can catch a glimpse of light through it). A thin beige head sits atop it. The flavor starts with a lots of coffee flavors, mellows into some darker chocolate flavors, and finishes with a peat smoked malt. The palate is medium bodied and mediocre. I had high hopes for this beer but feel let down. Itís not as smoky as I had hoped. Definitely a standard porter, not a good smoked porter. I like my smoked beers to be strongly smoked and taste like strong smoked malts and meats. This is the first Stone brew that fell very short.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 26, 2005
"Smoke Beer Out" Meaning a marathon of smoked beers in one evening. October 14, Taster #4 of 6. 22z bottle. Brownish-opaque. Tan head with large bubbles. Light roasted coffee notes. Caramel, sugar, little if any smoke flavor. Dark roasted coffee flavor, and very hop driven. Tasty flavor, but the name is misleading...Then I read the commercial description! Whoops! I guess if I had this beer earlier, I might have liked it better.