overall

RATINGS: 2287   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

TheBeerGod (5309) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - MAR 23, 2003
Pours a rich brown with a brown, creamy head. The first scent is of hops and a smokiness. Then slowly the coffee-ish notes seep in. The taste has some hop bitterness to go along with the cocoa and coffee combo but the smoke taste is not a strong as the Aecht Scherlenka brand. That was a little overwhelming whereas this was more tolerable. Good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DanielBrown (3894) - Birmingham (via Leicester), West Midlands, ENGLAND - MAY 12, 2004
On tap at Lucky Baldwins, Pasadena. Looks like a Mild, with a fast disappearing head, and geological lacing. Very smooth and flat mouthfeel; smells stouty and oaty. Sweet, especially to begin, giving way to a musky smokiness and a mildly hopped finish, which is medium length and engaging. A tasty Porter, but I still prefer mine unsmoked.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 20, 2005
The nose and and initial flavour of this beer almost ruined it. My first scent of this was of smoked fish left in the sun - not a good start. However, I persisted with it, despite the rather nasty scent. It improved as it came up to room temperature, increasing in stature, taste, and depth. The smoked flavour actually tapered off, a good thing in my book. It became quite chocolatety and had a nice bitterness. Pretty good, but I nearly poured it for the smell alone.

thoreaubred (42) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 19, 2005
This one is a little too bitter for me and otherwise low on flavor. The body is also a little thin and fleeting. This beer just generally doesn’t stand out or impress me.

docsteigs (533) - Texas, USA - FEB 19, 2008
Nice pour and attractive. Smells rich, chocolate, burnt. Tastes clean porter, mild smokiness. Okay not Stone’s best effort.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
pik5el (53) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - MAR 31, 2008
I love the aroma, a deep smokiness with all kinds of robust chocolate and dates. Nice light brown head that is quite plentiful. Flavor is... porter. I’m just not crazy about porters for some reason. I love the smoky character to it. This is probably one of my favorite porters. I would drink a sample of this and love it, but a whole bottle is too much for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
xsketchyx (184) - Oregon, USA - OCT 5, 2003
I guess I'm just not a fan of smoked beers. Nice, thick porter. I do like the coffee taste, I just can't get past the smoke. Not my thing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Dark brown, with a little tan head. Aroma is sweet, a bit metallic, with some roasty malts. Slight chocolate malt flavor, and not nearly smokey enough for my taste. Highly effervescent, with a thin mouthfeel, this was an underwhelming offering by Stone standards.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 7, 2004
Well aged bottle. Dark brown color with an out of control head. Slightly smoky scent and taste, with a dark chocolate taste being dominant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Britales (56) - Cape Charles, Virginia, USA - JUN 2, 2005
I am one of the minority I guess! I am not getting smoked, ( very very faint)! I am tasting the usual American interpretation of the Porter style which is much too sweet!! Color is great , head is fine but it is about as subtle as a crutch!!