overall

RATINGS: 2325   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheBeerGod (5506) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - MAR 23, 2003
Pours a rich brown with a brown, creamy head. The first scent is of hops and a smokiness. Then slowly the coffee-ish notes seep in. The taste has some hop bitterness to go along with the cocoa and coffee combo but the smoke taste is not a strong as the Aecht Scherlenka brand. That was a little overwhelming whereas this was more tolerable. Good beer.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 20, 2005
The nose and and initial flavour of this beer almost ruined it. My first scent of this was of smoked fish left in the sun - not a good start. However, I persisted with it, despite the rather nasty scent. It improved as it came up to room temperature, increasing in stature, taste, and depth. The smoked flavour actually tapered off, a good thing in my book. It became quite chocolatety and had a nice bitterness. Pretty good, but I nearly poured it for the smell alone.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
xsketchyx (184) - Oregon, USA - OCT 5, 2003
I guess I'm just not a fan of smoked beers. Nice, thick porter. I do like the coffee taste, I just can't get past the smoke. Not my thing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Dark brown, with a little tan head. Aroma is sweet, a bit metallic, with some roasty malts. Slight chocolate malt flavor, and not nearly smokey enough for my taste. Highly effervescent, with a thin mouthfeel, this was an underwhelming offering by Stone standards.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 7, 2004
Well aged bottle. Dark brown color with an out of control head. Slightly smoky scent and taste, with a dark chocolate taste being dominant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Britales (56) - Cape Charles, Virginia, USA - JUN 2, 2005
I am one of the minority I guess! I am not getting smoked, ( very very faint)! I am tasting the usual American interpretation of the Porter style which is much too sweet!! Color is great , head is fine but it is about as subtle as a crutch!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
1FastSTi (3343) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 29, 2005
Bottle from my Secret Santa. I had planned on sharing this one, but nearly everyone I know has already had this one. So, I popped the cap on this bomber and poured it into my glass. The aroma has lots of chocolate and a light peat. Unfortunately, by lots, itís still pretty weak and is disappointing. The appearance is an extremely dark red (you can catch a glimpse of light through it). A thin beige head sits atop it. The flavor starts with a lots of coffee flavors, mellows into some darker chocolate flavors, and finishes with a peat smoked malt. The palate is medium bodied and mediocre. I had high hopes for this beer but feel let down. Itís not as smoky as I had hoped. Definitely a standard porter, not a good smoked porter. I like my smoked beers to be strongly smoked and taste like strong smoked malts and meats. This is the first Stone brew that fell very short.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 26, 2005
"Smoke Beer Out" Meaning a marathon of smoked beers in one evening. October 14, Taster #4 of 6. 22z bottle. Brownish-opaque. Tan head with large bubbles. Light roasted coffee notes. Caramel, sugar, little if any smoke flavor. Dark roasted coffee flavor, and very hop driven. Tasty flavor, but the name is misleading...Then I read the commercial description! Whoops! I guess if I had this beer earlier, I might have liked it better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
walter (359) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - DEC 26, 2005
Bottle, courtesy of Quintana. Black color with tan head. Aromas of dark malt, dark fruit, and faint stale cigar smoke. Flavor is mostly a nice dark porter, somewhat dry, but the smoke ends up tasting like, quoth Quintana, "the butt end of a cigar." Agreed. I just couldnít get into this one-- the smoke really seemed out of place and an unpleasant side-note to an otherwise fine porter. Iíll have my smoke from the cigar and my porter from the beer, thank you. Oh well, it gets a 3 because I _believe_ in Stone....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
awaisanen (1304) - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 26, 2006
Dark pour with a ruby red tinge and a medium roasted tan head. Big, dark chocolatey aroma with a hint of pepperminty coffee. Light, almost creamy texture with a lot of roasted malts and just a hint of smokiness. Surprisingly thin and easy drinking. The smoky elements are most noticable on the final smack, which brings back horrible memories of Marlboro Lights. Flavors are initially tasty, but not complex enough to warrant outstanding scores from me, and the finish is kind of killer. There isnít much more than the commercial description reveals.