overall

RATINGS: 2278   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - JUN 16, 2001
I have a question: where’s the smoke?! Honestly, I detected NO smoke in this beer, and that steams my clams. I mean sure, its a decent porter, but if it advertizes smoke, then by Crom, I want smoke!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
reygato (19) - USA - DEC 16, 2011
Poured like root beer. Had an slightly smoky aroma, slight but present . Had a very weak light taste, a taste almost as thin as the beer. I would have expected more flavor from the label but it just was not there.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
NateBrooks (1) - - FEB 15, 2012 does not count
Disappointed. Somewhat flat (maybe it was just my bottle). I prefer a more bitter beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Powertrip (999) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 12, 2010
Tony Roma’s sampler platter at Mission, San Diego. Colour: Dark. Taste: Quiet, aside from some smoked wing sauce?!? Taste: Smokey oysters, stale coffee...long, finally a sooty finish. Not a fan at all. Dusty mouth feel. Seeing the popularity of this beer, I’m hoping I just got a bad tap....

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Onenote81 (1002) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - MAY 1, 2012
Originally reviewed: 1/11/10. Had this on tap at the First Street Draught House in town. Came out a very dark black with some ruby highlights on the edges. Nice creamy tan head on top. Left beautiful sip rings. Smoke is surprisingly absent in the nose. I was expecting a smoky, roasted scent, but in its place was just some cocoa tones with a sweet finish. Very creamy body on this beer. Carbonation level was low. Smooth. No smoke in the flavor either. What makes this smoked? This tastes like a regular porter to me. Some light coffee bitterness, mild chocolate flavors, and roasted malts on the finish. Sorry, but this was boring when I expected something a little more original.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 6/20
julianokoala (4) - - MAY 14, 2014 does not count
The smoke just covers it all. Its prety burnt good.... although kind impossible to have the whole bottle

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4971) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 23, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2007 I am rather finicky about smoked beers. Sampled on draft at the State College beer festival this beer poured a black color with a large tan head. The aroma is mild roasty malts. The body is rather light. The flavor is wood smoke with light roasty malts. The smoke dominates and lingers. Not remotely subtle. Not my style at all.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
alandudeman (25) - Massachusetts, USA - NOV 17, 2007
22oz bottle courtesy of Russells in Amherst, MA. Following Stones advice I prepared a pb&j and cracked my bomber open. I ended up enjoying the sandwich more... I’m a big fan of Stone but this was just awful. SSP had a rusted metal, olive scent. Taste was of smoked rotten olives and beef. There wasn’t an ounce of chocolate, vanilla or anything enjoyable in there. Mouth feel was okay but rather thin. When I started on the sandwich it brought out the alcohol flavor and made things worse. Maybe this bottle was bad? Maybe I haven’t developed a taste for smoked brews? Either way, this is one of the few bombers I’ve had to give away, and even then, it went unfinished.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TheGreatKen (76) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 27, 2003
This is the only Stone beer I didn't like. I don't like the combination of smoked and bitter.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
airrick2003 (516) - Louisiana, USA - JAN 20, 2013
Appearance: black, smallest hints of brown at the edges, thick and dense head, head is a dark tan color Aroma: coffee, chocolate, Taste: chocolate, hint of bitterness at the end Palate: heavy, leaves a slightly bitter coffee aftertaste, Overall: a bit too chocolate for my tastes, if you like chocolate or coffee a lot you will like this beer, I don’t like coffee so I struggle to finish this ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone