overall

RATINGS: 2321   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Darkover (1524) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 14, 2002
Roasted aroma. Weak roasted flavor, thin body. Long and strong roasted/smokey finish.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JFGrind (1892) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 18, 2002
Draft poured with a hearty tan head and the beer itself looked great in the glass. However there was no overwhelming aroma and the smokey taste I craved was not easy to detect. I agree this is a good porter, but by the end of the glass I was left a little disappointed.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
IndianaRed (2725) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUL 3, 2004
BottlePoured at 59F very dark. Almost black. Aroma is faint, smokey toasted, hoppy. Tastes definately smoked, and a fairly strong hopps content. The lingering smokey tang is haning around a while and thereís plenty of carbonation for everyone. Finish does not have that smooth soft feel that I like in this style. Just OK and for almost $4 I probly wont get it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Jayb0 (1077) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - JAN 10, 2007
I guess Iím in the minority but this beer didnít do much for me. I found it a bit thin, so lightly smoked as to be imperceptible other than perhaps imparting a slight dryness. Regardless of their approach, I think a bit more peat smoke would add to the character and not overwhelm it. Maybe being a scotch drinker has dulled my peat-detectors. Anyway, nice looking, head, lacing, etc but just didnít excite me. I once homebrewed some smoked porter using peated malt from Laphroigh, now that was kick-ass.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
greco (41) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - AUG 8, 2007
Nice brown head that didnít have a lot of retention. The aroma is dominated (of course) by a nice brick smokehouse type smell. The chocolate and coffee are there but overpowered. The chocolate seems to come out a bit more in the flavor and thatís good because I donít generally like my smoked porters to taste like beef jerky. The mouthfeel was rather thin for a porter and the finish was quick and uneventfull. I was happy with this beer as far as the style goes but wouldnít go out of my way for it. This is the best Smoked Porter Iíve ever had. Unfortunately, that list isnít very distinguished.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
minch25 (577) - Medford, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 26, 2007
Had this right after a davidoff ps #7 cigar, so dont take the numbers too serious. Like, I dont taste smoke at all. semi-sweet, mildly acidic. Not a bad porter, but I didnít really get into it, and needed some friends to help finish it. Maybe just too warm this time of year for a stone smoked porter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ernest (6542) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUN 26, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2013 Bottle. Head is initially small, frothy, brown, mostly diminishing. Body is dark brown. Aroma is moderately malty (roasted grain, dark chocolate), lightly hoppy (resin), with light notes of smoke/ashes and vanilla. Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly to moderately bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly acidic, moderately to heavily bitter, slightly unclean. Medium body, watery texture, lively carbonation, lightly alcoholic. Rated in the same session as the Vanilla and Chipotle versions. Simple, ordinary nose with almost no smoke character. Overly bitter/stark in the mouth, and a bit dirty tasting too. Overall a pretty average beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ARMed (613) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 16, 2002
This beer was very thick and oily. Highly viscous. Slightly tart, tangy and sour. Bitterness abounds. Not as good as I was hoping.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
MartinKubert (862) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 23, 2005
Nice dark brown colour. Round and mild start with notes of roasted coffee. Mild flavour with hints of chocolate. Quite sweet finish. Aftertaste lacks the smoked notes one would expect to find in a ísmoked porterí. Rather disappointing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - MAR 12, 2007
Iíve had a lot of Porters; I really love the brew style...and after the other Stone offerings Iíve had I expected greatness out of this brew. I was actually quite disappointed. Mildly smokey, but thatís what they intended to do from the label. Itís just not really that good, the balance felt a bit off, perhaps the local porters Iím used to are just that good.