overall

RATINGS: 2268   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Rustyham (1724) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - MAR 14, 2009
You know how Porters and Stouts get better as they warm? Well, I finished mine about 3 hours ago and I am still waiting for it to get better. I didn’t taste anything that set this apart from any other porter I have had, even the smokiness requires a little imagination to pin down. If this was a Brown Ale, it may kick ass, but for the style I’d rather go Baltik. $9 per 22oz bottle at Abraxas, Miami Beach

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
Itzjerm (1287) - Taft, Tennessee, USA - MAY 19, 2009
HEAVY smoke flavor. Not enjoyable... forced it down and poured some down the drain. I’ve had other smoked beers, and I have to admit i’m not a fan... lighter on the smoke than some, but still very overpowering... smokey bacon bitter hops... not for me.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Majin (256) - West Des Moines, Iowa, USA - FEB 16, 2013
First smell awesome , smokey. Second smell.... Band aid..... Damn it I hate when that happens. Killed the rating ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
archstanton (105) - mukilteo, Washington, USA - DEC 21, 2003
im not into smoked porters but this was decent it seems to have a chocolate taste which i did like

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
WeekendWarrior (3) - USA - AUG 8, 2002 does not count
I did not like this one at all. To thick and too bitter for my taste buds.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
hrhchristine (1) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAY 16, 2005 does not count
I hoped my love for smoked chipotle peppers and a good porter would make this a favorite. Maybe I just have an unsophisticated palate, but this tastes like bacon-flavored beer.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Heatwaves (54) - Santa Ana, California, USA - SEP 21, 2005
This is the first beer that my dog wouldn’t even drink... SERIOUSLY. Some people may give this beer a free pass since it comes from the well-renowned Stone name, but this frankly was undrinkable. The flavor encroached on burnt Folgers’ crystals steeped in tap water. Very bitter, but not in any remotely pleasing way. The aftertaste is what truly got me, however. This is where the "smoked" comes in -- only it is like stale cigarettes. Seriously, it’s like a tea of burnt coffee and cigarettes. And with each sip, I felt as if the beer was separating into two layers: something trying to pass as a beer and some ultra watery, smoky mess that was poured into it - like some poorly mixed oil and vinegar salad dressing. A total drain pour after attempting to stomach half of the bottle.

0.7
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Evancold (1) - - JUL 11, 2012 does not count
I was rather excited to try this beer, I’m not sure if I got an old one or what. But for $5.50 it was rather disappointing. Carbonation was poor, could not even form any head during the pour, NONE. Other people mention the smokey smell and flavor, well the one I had had NO smoky flavor at all. Malt seemed to be unbalanced, very sweet. Hops did not seem to be as claimed for the IBU rating. This beer was so bad I thought several times about contacting the company to make a complaint.