overall
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 323   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Rick Blankemeier & Robert Chandler’s Sprocketbier Black Rye Kolsch Style. We’ve been brewing together for the better part of three years. Rick is an amazing homebrewer and always has at least one spare recipe hidden somewhere in that magnificent head of his. Robbie, on the other hand, is the Igor to Rich’s Dr. Frankenstein (but with less hunchback and more beard). Armed with only a four-letter acronym (KISS) and a mission to make a beer that was balanced and complex but still sessionable, Rick jotted down a recipe on a sticky note that would impress even the most seasoned brewmaster. Out of 19 amazing beers brewed by 19 teams of the best brewers at Stone Brewing Co., Steve Wagner (Co-founder & President), Greg Koch (Co-founder & CEO), and Mitch Steele (Brewmaster) chose this one after a blind tasting of the top nine beers. As we write this, we are honored and humbled by the decision to select our beer for the very first Stone Brewing Co. Spotlight Series release. Our original goal was to pay tribute to the SNL Sprockets skit by creating a beer that even Dieter would think "is dark and easy to drink," and we’re pretty sure we succeeded (Dieter’s not around to ask). We love this beer and can’t wait to share it with beer geeks and Stone fans around the country. Before you delve into this Impressively Dark and Amazingly Balanced beer, let us propose a toast to the ones we have lost, and to those of us who will never let their memories be forgotten…… Cheers, Prost, Salud and Good Memories to all!

Hopnwild (1) - Calistoga, California, USA - MAY 15, 2014 does not count
I picked up this beer on a whim because it sounded interesting and Kolsch as well as dark beers are right up my alley. I have to say that Stone is not a beer that I normally drink but when I do I enjoy them in most cases, BUT this brew caught me pleasantly by surprise! This beer from the get go was just what I had hopped for! A rich clear dark black color with a tan to caramel cap of pebbly foam that held its ground and stayed with the beer for the session. The aroma was subtle but balanced with toasted coffee, chocolate, leather and a hint of rye spice in the nose. The flavors were well constructed and balanced, rich toasted notes with a hop bitterness that complimented the beer and did not over power the flavor of the malt and rye. the finish was pleasant with a hint of warming alcohol and tannins that felt full in the mouth and left you wanting another swig. all in all a very well made beer, I told my wife if she was thinking about buying me a beer for fathers day she could pick up a few of these and I would be a very happy dad!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
coyforce (616) - Virginia, USA - MAY 5, 2014
Really great dark beer. Pour is pitch black and the aroma is light roasted grains. Taste is chocolatey and rich.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
maltman53 (386) - Corrales, New Mexico, USA - NOV 14, 2014
Bomber pours coffee-black, chocolatey malty nose, sweetly balanced on the palate, ending in a dry, roasted finish. Overall, a really unique beer: looks like a stout, drinks like a Kolsch.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
ismith87 (71) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - APR 30, 2014
A - 5 - dark brown black beer with a nice tan head on it that sticks, good Lacing S - 9 - smooth milk chocolate and light coffee T - 9 - coffee, black pepper, spicy rye malt, cocoa M - 5 - feels heavier than it is at 5.4%, alc covered aftertaste roasted malts and spicy black pepper T - 16 - great and different beer, extra points for feeling more robust than it is.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SDalkoholic (2179) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JUL 24, 2014
Bottle from Sprout’s: Poured a dark tanned brown liquid and was topped nicely with a firm pillow of foam head. Aroma is clean and simple with a whiff of lightly roast malt that gives off scents of cocoa poweder or ground coffee. I would have no idea this was a kolsch style by smelling it alone. The drink is subtle with a delicate taste of sweetness with quality roast malt…… This is my first time tasting a hybrid black kolsch and I must say, it taste really good and extremely balanced. I absolutely loved this beer but not so much the price of nearly $9 for a bottle after CRV and taxes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mikedR (1348) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - APR 30, 2014
Very nice. I'm not familiar with this style, but as a black-oriented ale it is superb. Incredible black roasted rye malts. A bit of the Stone hoppiness you'd expect. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brewfoolery (25) - California, USA - APR 30, 2014
Bottle at Amazing Grapes. Puss with a creamy foamy head that stays firm. Coffee notes come forward far more than toffee. Clean finish, but carbonation seems to be present with mild acid note that lingers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Erikh04 (133) - - MAY 23, 2014
Growler from beverage world with Kyle. First of this style. Very smokey. Nice finish. Will definitely get this one again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cobaink2 (106) - seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 25, 2014
Lots of dark malts, chocolate and heavy handed on the coffee. Really good and unexpected. It tastes of almost a porter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wildbeercat (353) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAY 31, 2014
650ml bottle into a shaker glass; served cold. Aroma: Chocolate, cream, toast, bread, and maybe a little tobacco? Appearance: Inky, opaque, body, no head. Moderate lacing. Taste: Crazy flavors; I’m having trouble comparing them to something else... A little bit salty, a little bit sour, but nowhere near a geuze or anything like that. It tastes like a rye ale, haha. Palate: Pretty full bodied, just a little bit of prickly carbonation. Finish is moderately long, ends on very light bitterness. Overall: Pretty fantastic! Unique flavors, and uncompromising body.