overall

RATINGS: 2216   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
aplusbreaks (330) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 2, 2008
Pours a dark brown/black that little light makes it through. Has a nice tan head that hangs around for a bit and leaves some decent lacing. Aroma at the beginning of the glass its a blast of hops, but then the hops mellow out and the caramel and malt notes kick in. As for the flavor my first reaction was malts and and dark fruits, but the bitterness of the hops really kicks in at the end. I do recall this being a little better and more IPA like when I had it a few months back.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
travita (4310) - Frisco, Texas, USA - JUN 30, 2008
Brown to black in color with a tan head. Smells of hops, caramel, malts, something else also that I could not quite put my finger on. Taste is slightly bitter, malts, roasty. Good balance between the hops and malts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
NobleSquirrel (3438) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 29, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2009 Bottle of Stone XI, thanks to Timmy300. I believe this one has crossed the line in terms of where it peaks. I could see the potential for this to be a black IPA, but it came more across as a very hoppy porter, regardless of the commercial description. Immensely bitter, the aroma and hop flavor has diminished and the roasted grains really press through at this point, some coffee and molasses. Still, a very nice beer that was surely a pleasure fresh.

doppelmeup (51) - Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA - JUN 27, 2008
Rich, inky black pour with little light shining through. A moderate off-white head with a fair amount of lacing. Looks like black beer. Aromas of grapefruit, pine. No doubt about it, this is an IPA! Hops are not overpowering, but are blended nicely. As I drink this, if I close my eyes I swear I’m drinking an IPA, but when I look at the beer, my brain says no way. Very interesting brew. I like it. A very clean finish. This is a smooth beer. The ABV is very well hidden. Overall, a very drinkable and unique beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
awautlet (45) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 27, 2008
Pours a coffee like color with amber hues and a tan head. I’ve never seen an IPA this dark. On the palate there is a malty start but a very complex finish with roasted malt, dark bitter chocolate and a hint of coffee. I never thought I’d be saying chocolate and coffee while describing an IPA... stunning

philippem (105) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 27, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2009 Une India Dark Ale explosive où houblons sautillants et choco-moka fondant / fondu viennent se rencontrer pour mieux s’embrasser en bouche. Rôti et agrumes sont également au rendez-vous. Une robe noire qui pourrait faire rougir la plus impérieuse des Stout Impériales! Un autre chef-d’oeuvre de Stone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
buzzoven (376) - JAPAN - JUN 26, 2008
Very malty, hoppy black IPA that manages to be aggressive, yet mild and medium bodied at the same time. Poured a black ruby brown from the bottle with a nice tan creamy head. There is some brandy on the nose and a heavy roasted taste. Then the finish kick in and, wow! The finish is incredibly complex, with at least 4 stages of subtle change on the tongue. A tingling sensation followed by some sharp hints of bitterness, then a rollicking wave on the tastebuds that settles into a smooth, refined exit. Truly great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
can8ianben (1387) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 25, 2008
Hmm. It is true that it is hoppy and dark, but this could have just as easily been labeled as an imperial stout or some kind of imperial porter. Its very dark and very hoppy. Lots of hops in the aroma, and loads of rich malt in the flavor. A big tan fluffy head, notes of charred meat, plums, raisins, and cereal. Confusing as it is, it is also very tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Bigmmartin (603) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - JUN 21, 2008
On Tap at Bier Tasting event at Boston’s Bistro & Pub. Extremely black and extremely odd. I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but was glad that I got the chance to sample this beer. Stout + IPA = 11 Anniversary? Roasted malt with nice strong hops.

12many (277) - Alaska, USA - JUN 21, 2008
Interesting. Very dark burgundy/black with a lot of hops in the nose, but then as you drink the malt becomes very apparent. This was very smooth, surprising, and good.